T&M seed potatoes delivery

• 30 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
T&M seed potatoes delivery
« on: February 09, 2010, 21:18 »
I ordered my seed potatoes from Thomson & Morgan about 3 weeks ago (along with a load of seeds).  Seeds arrived ok, but still no seed potatoes.  Chased them yesterday and they said

"We despatch all our items to arrive in good time for planting and in accordance to the anticipated delivery time as advised when placing the order. Accordingly your order for the potatoes are due for despatch from now until Mid may 2010."

Mid-May?!  Has anyone had problems with delivery from T&M?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: T&M seed potatoes delivery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 21:27 »
Well when you ordered did they tell you when they were going to be despatched ? If they did tell you ...'up till mid may' then you can't argue can you :(
This is what happens when you don't order early enough:(

I'm afraid you will just have to wait till they get to your potato order. If you're lucky you will receive them soon anyway, so fingers crossed  :)

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 21:52 »
Def didnt say (or at least make it clear) on ordering.  Just seems ridiculous to me that any company would think that mid-May is ok for potato delivery. 

Its such a lottery ordering seed potatoes - I hardly have any room as it is, so dont want to have to store them from December, so ordered mid January, but now facing a mid-May delivery?!  A nonsense if you ask me.  Will be ordering from Organic Catalogue again next year - they had great customer service and could be specific about delivery times.

andy135

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 22:16 »
I ordered mine from JBA last weds. They haven't arrived yet, buy they did say up to 3 weeks.

titch

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 22:21 »
perhaps weather conditions arent right for posting them - dont want them to get frosted up in the post..........just a thought
just keep breathing................

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 23:18 »
This really has been the craziest season ever in the world of potatoes.
The demand by consumers has taken everyone by surprise and large retailers demanding potatoes pre Christmas has put the whole job into meltdown.
For companies like mine who supply all ranges of customers we can see a trend going towards smaller and smaller packs and away from the old 25kg hessian sacks.
To fill a hessian sack takes around 6 seconds but to pack 25kgs of potatoes into say 25x1kg packs takes 1 minute. The retailers like the pre-packs as it means they need do no more than put them on the shelves and they sell more and more.
I am just in now from packing spuds to try and be ready for tomorrow.
Andy135 yours should be out next week :D
The weather has been a real pain this year and you can't pack mail order spuds and leave them for 3 weeks as they would start to sweat in the packaging.
The headaches I have had this year because of frost.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 23:28 »
i ordered mine the first week of january, along with onion and garlic.  none have arrived yet :(..i was rather suprised to get another 'advert' e-mail from them advising people to 'order now'??

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26 »
I orderd mine begin of Jan ,seeds arrived but no spuds rang them and they said that they were on the way .. :closedeyes:
That was 2wks ago .
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

bigben

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:03 »
I ordered mine from T & M and they arrived weekend before last when there was a hard frost. They were delivered Sat morning and we were away for the weekend so the helpful delivery person just left them on the doorstep. When we got back Sunday night the box was frozen to the step! I rang T & M to warn them I might be sending them back but after chopping one in half I notices the packing inside the box seems to have stopped them freezing. I was v angry at the time though.

The fact that you are still waiting might mean they are playing it safe and leaving it until there is less risk of frost before they send them.

andy135

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24 »

Andy135 yours should be out next week :D

Thanks Iain.  :)
 The ground is far too soggy to do anything yet.

harry

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 12:36 »
I ordered mine from T &M about a month ago and got my veg seeds but had the same message about the spuds. It didn't give a delivery time when i ordered :mad: :mad: :tongue2:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

diggerjoe

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 13:52 »
Oh dear looks like I am in for a wait as I have ordered some extra from T&M after not getting all the ones I wanted at local potato day. They were late last year  when I ordered  :( I'd forgotten that.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 14:33 »
I ordered mine from Dundas Nurseries, Cheltenham and got them within 3 days.  Give them a try.  They have lots of varieties.   Also look at the 'allotment shop' within this forum.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 17:47 »
I ordered mine from T & M last year and they arrived before Christmas! They were already sprouting by early January  :ohmy:
Rachael

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 20:46 »
We're hoping that our allotment association spuds will arrive this weekend but they won't be sent out if weather is particularly inclement, so we won't find out for sure until Friday.

I'd rather have responsible suppliers who delay sending out the spuds - particularly as we're still fairly early in the spud calendar.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Seed Potatoes Ordered - Right Delivery Date?

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 12, 2014, 17:23
by Paul Plots
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes

Started by sootyfaestoney on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 19:19
by gavinjconway
xx
Seed potatoes

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 20:02
by waddecar

Page created in 0.844 seconds with 39 queries.