Newbie with question #1: very neglected fruit trees

• 9 Replies

Togalosh

Newbie with question #1: very neglected fruit trees
« on: February 06, 2010, 22:11 »
Hello everyone.

I'm glad to be amongst like minded growers & looking forward to contributing what I can of what I've learnt so far.

At the minute I've many questions about fruit trees - if anyone could help me (without actually looking at them) , even if it's to recommend a good book, I'd be very much appreciated.

Like most plotters (I guess) I took over a neglected plot. It runs East - West. That was this time last year. I've got it all into shape except for the 6 or so woefully neglected fruit trees up the top that I've just given a 1/3rd 1st prune to- clearing out the centres & the dead wood as best possible. The plot next to mine (to the south) has some superb & very grand old Apple trees on it that cast quite a shadow across all my trees which has made them grow toward them to get some sun - making them very tall, spindley & bare on the other side.

Two are Apple trees that I recon were started off as cordonned but have long been left to grow at 45deg angle but up to 10 meters high- easily...the first branches only start at 3 meters off the ground. Will these ever do anything? Could I pollard them? Last year they produced nothing of worth..was last year a poor year for apples, are they biennial?. I've 2 more Apple trees in similar condition but at least growing upward... they are much older though...but still really tall.

..then there's 2 Victoria (?) Plum Trees - these are massive (to my mind  anyway)..+_ 15 meters high - but again too tall to prune properly let alone pick fruit from...even with a telescopic scrumping pole with catcher. These too have grown mainly only into the light.

The soil they are in looks great.

Last year the only well shaped apple tree I have got battered by hail when in blossom & then dropped most of it's fruit early due to.. insect attack &/or disease ..I recon.

I neither want to wait in vain nor cut them down without giving them a chance - so I'm prepared for a 2- 3 year plan of action ..if that's what it'll take.

kr
Togalosh

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie with question #1: very neglected fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 22:13 »
Welcome to the site Togalosh

As you've got specific questions in your post, I'll move it to the Grow Your Own board, which is the place to ask questions about growing your own as there's more people around there to answer you  :)

(Don't worry, you'll soon find your way around  ;) )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Togalosh

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 22:32 »
Hell- that was fast.

Thanks.

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 23:00 »
Welcome Togalosh, I'm looking forward to answers from the experienced fruit growers as I have some apple trees here that we inherited and they are in a sad state. We can learn together :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 23:03 »
Here is an article about pruning plum trees which I hope is helpful  :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/pruning_prunefruittrees1.shtml

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 23:05 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Togalosh

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 23:15 »
Welcome Togalosh, I'm looking forward to answers from the experienced fruit growers as I have some apple trees here that we inherited and they are in a sad state. We can learn together :)

Sounds good to me.

I was so looking forward to making gallons of cider 'n all.

It's a sad sight - all these old trees that look so knackered...I'm hoping that a bit of TLC will get em back to life.

Togalosh

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 23:25 »
Here is an article about pruning plum trees which I hope is helpful  :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/pruning_prunefruittrees1.shtml

Thanks for that SSB - so there's hope yet.

Am I the only one who needs pictures to understand instructions?

gillie

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 08:25 »
I don't think you could do much harm by giving these very overgrown trees a real clobbering, but it would probably be better to have them out and start again, preferably in a fresh place.

The ex-cordons are so huge I think they must be on a vigorous and unsuitable rootstock.  I would try to cut them back to an upward facing branch being careful not to go below the graft.

I don't know why the well-shaped one dropped all its crop.  Did it blossom at the same time as your neighbour's trees? it does not seem likely that it lacked a pollen partner.  Biennial bearers in their off year usually don't have much blossom rather than dropping their fruit. Can you clear out the grass/weeds round the trunk and give it a good mulch?

Victoria plums are susceptible to silver leaf disease which is acquired through open cuts.  I would leave them until Spring before pruning to reduce the risk, but not be surprised if they started to show symptoms.

At very least you have some good firewood! but I would start growing some dwarf trees in a different part of your plot.

Gillie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:31 »
Here's the RHS page for pruning plums.

It advises leaving it till mid-summer for established trees.

There's a link on that page to apple tree pruning too, and this does need to be done in winter.

Togalosh

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 21:48 »
...oh dear.. I have pruned all the trees- Plums included (as high as I could get before my bottle gave out) ..ho hum...but it can't get much worse than last year.

I read/was told on the UKCider site that apples may ripen (& fall) early through shock/a self defence mechanism because of insect damage/infestation of the fruit itself - and there was a lot of that. I don't know what they were though...will deffo be looking into that this year though.

The best tree (which dropped it's fruit throughout the season) is weed free at the base now - but last year it was smothered in convululus (??) & brambles that was growing on top/out of a massive compost station just infront of it (that cunningly disguised as a blooming *&^% tip). From the rubbish in it I estimate it had been there up to 20 years. What do I mulch it with? (if this is not a stupid question).

There's lots of stinging nettles throughout the treed area- which I'm told is a sign of good soil quality. The other trees had been left with other casualties left fallen against them But not much in the way of weeds. Since clearing the tip the soil underneath does look a lot like the stuff I've seen shown in close-up, lightly crumbling through the fingers of BBC gardeners. It's also been commented on by envious plottters from the far side too.

Planting new trees in another area is sadly not an option - these old trees would have depleted the soil too much for new ones to go in there place I take it.  It seems that I can't win if these sorry specimens have had it.

Many thanks for the advise.

xx
newbie hello and training fruit trees

Started by woolybear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 15:57
by gillie
xx
Old neglected Apple trees - what to do?

Started by thestens on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 11:48
by Ema
xx
Neglected pear trees

Started by Selkie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 20:50
by Selkie
xx
Neglected minarette apple trees

Started by SouP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 07:51
by SouP

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 28 queries.