balding chicken

• 8 Replies

mad mark

• Experienced Member
balding chicken
« on: February 06, 2010, 21:44 »
One of the ginger chickens I have has lost its feathers over the last couple of weeks, she has no feathers around her rear end. Still laying eggs and hasn't stopped all through the winter. Any suggestion please?
Mad Mark

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
Re: balding chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 23:14 »
She needs a high protein feed, such as the stuff sold for ex battery hens. This she needs to help her grow new feathers. Have you checked her thoroughly for lice? She will also need  some purple spray, to spay on the bald bits. It is a good antiseptic, and should prevent her coopmates from turning cannibal at the sight of pink/red baldness. see how you go from there :unsure: good luck
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21 »
My Ginger girl has just gone through a full moult and it made her ill as she was using up so much energy trying to keep warm that she went all weak and limp and was off her legs, so please keep an eye on her and make sure she gets good food. Natural yogurt too.  Few mealworms wouldn't go amiss either.  I got some limestone flour to add to the layer pellets too.  She's not laid for ages

I was prepared to bring her indoors if necessary but she goes to bed in an Eglu with her pals, plus I built them a straw bale shelter inside their run to give them extra protection from the weather and they have green tarps to keep off the icy blasts and snow  :)  She had lost most of her feathers and she was so sensitive so I only picked her up once just to check she had no "lodgers"  I used the purple spray too but only a quick squirt on her butt

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41 »
What is a high protein feed?  Excuse the ignorance.........I give them layers pellets and the odd treat of greenery at the moment. Thanks for your help in advance.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:45 »
Allen and Paige make a feed (think it comes in both layers pellets and mash) which has a higher protein content than standard to help ex batts reagin their feathers and strength quicker. You may have to order it though as not all feed stockists keep it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:59 »
Also Cat food can help though they realy like chicken flavour. :ohmy:
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 13:58 »
I give mine dried mealworms (from Wilko, or your pet shop but dearer) Also you can give them chopped up hardboiled egg which gives vit D which they need to absorb calcium (so I was told the other day) 

Poultry spice also helps boost them during a moult. It's a fine dried powder and it's basically a mix of curry spices specially blended to make your chickens bounce with health  :D

Other protein foods are chick crumbs which can be easily added to the dry pellets, tuna in spring water (but not everyone wants to give their hens meat because of concerns about salmonella caused by meat in their poo)  I read that as well the other day  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 16:09 »
if you feed chick crumbs to a laying hen then make sure that they do not have anti cocci in otherwise you will have to chuck the eggs away. Organic chick crumbs are available which do not have ACV in.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 16:32 »
Oh, that's new to me so thanks for the tip.  I was told there was more protein in it so to give a bit to my bald chook for a few days  :)  She's not laying anyway at the moment

xx
Chicken with balding back - pls help

Started by JennyScott on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 17:15
by joyfull
xx
Balding hen

Started by grinling on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 15:01
by grinling
xx
balding hens

Started by Debz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 20:14
by azubah
xx
Balding Chick

Started by Lou65 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 09:23
by Lou65

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 28 queries.