Falafels

• 14 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Falafels
« on: February 02, 2010, 18:50 »
Has anybody got a tried and tested recipe for these, please :)

I tried another Google recipe today and it just tasted like a ball of sludge :(....and I can't for the life of me work out what it needed to put it right!

I have made pkt ones before but wanted to make them from scratch, so it's ...over to you :wub:

madcat

Re: Falafels
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:43 »
I did these (well, 1/3rd of the recipe) and they were okay, not sludge but very dull.  I wondered about adding onion or garlic ??  I share your search for the right recipe.

FELAFEL  Makes 48
3 slices white bread
3 15oz cans chickpeas
4 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg, beaten
Plain flour
tbsp oil
2 tbsp chopped flat-leafed parsley
Trim crusts from bread and make into breadcrumbs.
Drain cans of chickpeas and purée in a food processor or blender until a coarse paste. Add parsley, spices and plenty of seasoning, and mix well to form a sticky mixture. Work in the breadcrumbs and bind mixture with the egg. Knead well until evenly mixed.
Flour hands and roll mixture between hands into walnut-sized balls.
Divide oil between 2 roasting tins to coat sides and base. Put Felafel in the tins, shake to coat them lightly with the oil.
Cook at 375ºF, 190ºF, Gas 5 for 20 to 25 mins until crisp and golden brown. Serve hot or cold sprinkled with the chopped flat leafed parsley.
To make ahead: cool cooked falafel. Pack in a polybox, interleaving layers with greaseproof paper. Seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months.
To serve: thaw for 3 hours at room temperature. Warm through in a hot oven.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:23 »
Thanks madcat, yours has egg and cayenne, which mine didn't....
The latest recipe I tried also had chopped fresh mint, a garlic clove and some gram flour, and I think it was maybe the gram flour that made it sludgy.

So I'll try your recipe, but also use the mint and garlic from my recipe :unsure:................ next week ::)

Mike the Postman

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:46 »
I've used the good food falafel recipe in the past and have always been pleased with the results.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2589/spicy-falafels

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 16:41 »
I know this is an old thread but I've just seen it and thought I'd add the falafel recipe I always use - I love it:

250g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, cooked and cooled
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 onion, grated
1 large bunch coriander, finely chopped
1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 egg
1/4 tsp bicarb
50g plain flour
1 1/2tsp cumin
1 1/2tsp coriander
1tsp turmeric
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper
2tbsp sesame seeds
2tbsp nigella/black onion seeds

Pulse the chickpeas in the food processor until it is a fairly smooth paste but has some whole chickpeas in it. Add the garlic, onion, spices, herbs, bicarb and lemon zest and mix together. Shape into golf ball sized balls and then flatten slightly to make patties. Mix the sesame and nigella seeds together and dip the falafel into them, pressing down if necessary to coat the patties. Place on a greased baking tray and cook at 180c for 25-30 mins, turning halfway through, until golden and cooked through.

Really good with a cumin and mint yoghurt in toasted pittas. So good!!!  :D :D :D
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 20:37 »
Thanks for posting that recipe - how many people does that serve, and do they freeze? (the falafels, not the people!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:23 »
They freeze brilliantly - I sheet freeze and then pop them into a freezer bag. It makes about 50 and I plan on 4 for lunch/6 for dinner. Sometimes I make them into burger-sized patties and cook them in exactly the same way - I'd aim to make 8 then.

I had to go and buy everything to make them last night - got cravings!!!  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45 »
I'll be making a batch of them tonight rhythmvick.  I love falafel and have almost all the ingredients.  I've always fried mine so cooking in ther oven will cut down on the fat.  I am a tad, ahem, overweight. :closedeyes: :)
Cheese makes everything better.

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:11 »
Yup, I'm all ready for a batch tonight. Let me know how yours go (ps, they'll need more salt and pepper than you think.  :)

I used to fry them but started baking them a couple of years ago. I actually think it tastes better, and is definitely better for the my waistline  :nowink:

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 08:05 »
I like the look of these recipes.
Rhythmvick - can tinned chick peas be used, and do you cook them first and then freeze or freeze raw, defrost and cook?

I shouldn't look at this section because I always get hungry looking through the topics, even at 8 in the morning.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

AnnaM

• My dish
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 16:16 »
I love Falafels! I made some last month from a recipe I found online at mydish. I added chili to this recipe to make it more spicy, but you can leave it out if you prefer.

Ingredients

* 2 tbsp sunflower oil
    * 1 small onion finely chopped
    * 1 Cloves garlic. crushed
    * 400g can chickpeas. drained and rinsed
    * 1tsp ground cumin
    * 1 tsp Ground Coriander
    *  handful of parsley. chopped
    * 1 eggs. beaten

Method

* 1. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan, then fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened. ip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices then mash together with a fork or potato masher until the chickpeas are totally broken down.
      2. Stir in the parsley with seasoning to taste. Add the egg, then squish the mixture together with your hands!
      3. Shape the mix into six balls then flatten into patties. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then fry the falafels on a medium heat for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and firm.

Hope this helps

Anna x

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 20:16 »
Could someone explain exactly what falafels are and how they're eaten, please?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 20:35 »
Could someone explain exactly what falafels are and how they're eaten, please?
They're little balls of chickpeas, spices and herbs, usually deep fried and served in a pitta bread.  I like mine with salad and yoghurt mixed with cucumber and mint.

Cazzy

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 21:43 »
I've heard of these a few times over the years and have never got around to trying them so i'm gonna try out one of these recipies this weekend.

I love the idea of the yogurt, cucumber and mint dip, especially if chili is in the pattie.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:48 »
Tinned chickpeas can be used, definitely. When I made these with tinned chickpeas the flavour and texture were just the same, tinned chickpeas are awesome. I used 3 cans for that recipe.

When I freeze them I tend to colour them on each side in a pan using spray oil (always watching the calories!) and then sheet freeze, then pack them into a bag. When they're defrosted you put them into the oven like normal, about 25mins.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 29 queries.