Protecting strawbs Jan-March

• 17 Replies

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
Protecting strawbs Jan-March
« on: February 02, 2010, 14:40 »
Anyone recommend doing this? Mine are everbearer 'Everest' variety which have been in since last Summer. Good crop last year but I've been advised to leave them in for a 2nd year.

Is it worth covering with plastic cloches now until March to help them along? I've left the hoops in from the netting that was up so it'd be very easy to cover them.

Thanks

Trillium

Re: Protecting strawbs Jan-March
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 14:58 »
Strawberries are extremely hardy and don't need any protection from weather - just hungry critters which love almost ripe berries.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 15:01 »
Good crop last year but I've been advised to leave them in for a 2nd year.

And a third, at least.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 15:02 »
Sorry - I didn't mean protection as such (they've already had 6" of snow...!) - it's just in the RHS book on growing fruit, they call it this and say that 'protection' during Spring is an option to help getting them started earlier. Extending the season I suppose.

I just wondered if anyone here does this and whether it'd be worth a try.

Thanks  

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 15:07 »
Good crop last year but I've been advised to leave them in for a 2nd year.

And a third, at least.

Well, that was another question I had actually!  ::)

Again, the RHS book says that perpetual varieties (I'm guessing this is what I have?) are best grown only for one year as the weight of the crop deteriorates the 2nd year. Thinking of ignoring this though!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 15:10 »
Despite trying to coddle our plants, they're mostly triggered into production by amount of daylight hours rather than warmth. You'd get leaf growth sooner with cloching but fruit wouldn't come yet as there'd be no bees/pollinators out yet to get the crop started.

The initial plants will deteriorate slightly after the first year, but it'll put out masses of new runners to replace it so you'll eventually end up throwing out or swapping runners. So don't be in a hurry to toss. I find some books are geared more towards public gardens which must maintain pristine plant conditions, hence yearly tossing of spring bulbs, certain plants, etc. Personally, I've never pictured allotments as public gardens  :D

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 15:55 »
i dont tend to 'protect' them, I just leave them all year round with a bit of netting in fruiting season and I tend to get a healthy crop  :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 19:41 »
I have read many views on growing strawberries some which say growing under a cloche will produce fruit 4 to 6 weeks earlier. Some say it doesn't make much difference however all the local growers grow them under plastic so I assume it must make some difference. I therefore intend to experiment with a variety called Honeoye which is an early variety: -

Some grown in a cold greehouse but on a slightly heated bed.
Some grown outside under a cloche from mid January onwards.
Some grown unprotected outside.

I will monitor and post a thread with the findings later in the year.

jimmytheshed

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 19:54 »
I have a bed of strawberrys out side, but also some in big tubs that i bring in the polytunnel in jan. They always give me an early crop, about a month earlier than most on the site, just uncover/ take outside when they flower, bring back in if frost is forcast.

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 21:49 »
Just a quickie whilst we are talking strawberries, can I plant them outside now (they are waiting in small pots ready to go out) if the soil is ok to plant (not frozen and not soggy)?  Or should I wait until March?  Books suggest best planting time, but I just wondered if
anyone had experimented?  Thanks :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 23:54 »
I have read many views on growing strawberries some which say growing under a cloche will produce fruit 4 to 6 weeks earlier. Some say it doesn't make much difference however all the local growers grow them under plastic so I assume it must make some difference. I therefore intend to experiment with a variety called Honeoye which is an early variety: -

Some grown in a cold greehouse but on a slightly heated bed.
Some grown outside under a cloche from mid January onwards.
Some grown unprotected outside.

I will monitor and post a thread with the findings later in the year.

I can't see the advantage of heating for strawberries... they are a good crop and will grow in season without need for CO2 footprints & costly electricity... two weeks early under cover... maybe but I am happy to wait for the flavour to come my way a bit later when the weather is helping...  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:55 »
Hi Learner
It was mainly because I was bored in January and not being able to do anything outside so I thought I would try a little experiment. The strawberries in the greenhouse have started to grow so I will see what happens to them. One batch outside is covered with a cloche but its been so cold they won't be growing for a few weeks.

I will be starting other seeds (salads mainly) off in the greenhouse shortly to compensate using the heated bed.

stompy

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 08:04 »

Are these everbearers Alpine strawberrys?

Fisherman

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 19:25 »
Hi Stompey
No they are not everbearers. I am trying a strain called Honeoye which is an early cropping strawberry. Planted them last year and they produced well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 22:17 »
Hi Learner
It was mainly because I was bored in January and not being able to do anything outside so I thought I would try a little experiment. The strawberries in the greenhouse have started to grow so I will see what happens to them. One batch outside is covered with a cloche but its been so cold they won't be growing for a few weeks.

I will be starting other seeds (salads mainly) off in the greenhouse shortly to compensate using the heated bed.

Spring 2011 I imagine I will be filling seed trays and pots with compost in December for the want of being able to get onto the plot and get things growing.... I'll have time to tidy my shed and pretty-up the inside with the shelves I keep saying I could use... If all goes well....... ;) so I can understand where you are coming from.... he says enviously!!

angry
Strawbs .. What now !

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 12, 2014, 20:03
by gobs
xx
strawbs

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 19:37
by Lesleyk
xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 00:08
by Dan78
xx
strawbs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 13:47
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 29 queries.