Parsnips in Containers ?

• 16 Replies

spottymint

Parsnips in Containers ?
« on: January 25, 2010, 18:05 »
Hi

I only have containers to grow in & I am planning what to grow.
Now some things are easy like carrots, but others you need to look for varieties which can be spaced close together.

Now I have seen varieties of parsnip such as Arrow, Lancer and Dagger which can be grown in pots, but only online for lots of seeds which don't store for more than a season.

My question is, Is there a commonly available variety that may be suitable for container growing ? or is it not worth it for just a few roots ?

Any thought/experience appreciated,
many thanks, Spottymint.  :)

Trillium

Re: Parsnips in Containers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 20:50 »
It might be a waste of time using regular parsnip varieties. The tap root can go down quite a way and if that hits an obstruction then it affects the main 'root' size, usually causing forking or a small root. You can always try but don't get your hopes up.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 21:40 »
Parsnip seed tends to become less viable after a year but that doesn't mean you get zero germination. I've used 2 year old seed with no obvious problems. As there's only me in the house that eats them I grow them in Morrisons flower buckets rather than taking up space on the plot. Sow more seed than you'll need and thin to a couple of inches apart. I start mine off in the unheated greenhouse in March and put them outside once they've got established. Go to somewhere like Wilkos and pick up seed in their 3 for £1.50 offer. That way you don't spend too much if they don't succeed.

spottymint

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 20:23 »
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I too am trying out the black Morrisons buckets for growing in, so if I get some cheap seeds, I may give it a go.

Many thanks for the advice.
Spottymint :)

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42 »
I grew Gladiator F1 parsnips in Marshalls Potato Bags last year (http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/potato-gro-sacks-x3-pid2036.html). 9 to a bag and they grew brilliantly - nice and big)

The gro-sacks are about 12" square and 18" deep.

tiny50

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:17 »
Punch a couple of holes in the bottom of a plastic compost bag and grow em in that.  works well for alsorts.
WIFE SAYS i AM THE BOSS IN MY OWN SHED

Hectare

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 13:14 »
I have noticed a number of posters talking about using Morrisons black tubs for growing veg....what are these?

I assume it is something you can get from the Mossisons supermarket (which we don't have in my region of the UK). What size are they and is there, say, a Tescos or other  alternative

Thanks all

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 13:17 »
They are the buckets that the cut flowers come in. They sell them very cheaply, some places give them away.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 13:27 »
I have noticed a number of posters talking about using Morrisons black tubs for growing veg....what are these?
I assume it is something you can get from the Mossisons supermarket (which we don't have in my region of the UK). What size are they and is there, say, a Tescos or other  alternative
Thanks all

They are 10" daimeter and 10" deep. They make ideal plant pots. Black and sturdy.
I paid £1 for 8 at Morrisons. Got some free from Sainsburys and Asda. Tesco have different pots(square) but they are returned.

spottymint

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 13:39 »
Hi

Morrison,s buckets 8x for 99p. Find them under the flower tables/veg tables near the flowers.

4x large, 4x small, bound by yellow tape with 99p on and barcode.

Found Parsnip variety "Arrow" to grow in the buckets from Mr Foth's, but B&Q stock "Lancer" as a patio veg in their own range/Someone else sells them Dobies?. T&M sell "Dagger". If anybody else is interested in patio types.

Hectare

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 14:25 »
Thanks to all for the info re the Morrisons tubs...I'll check out out our local variants here..

I haven't tried parsnips in containers....do they need special soil/compost?

randombod

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 15:01 »
Thanks to all for the info re the Morrisons tubs...I'll check out out our local variants here..

where are you based H i know the morrisons in darlington nr me have a few in at the moment just remember drainage holes in the bottom

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 22:35 »

Don't put fresh manure in the compost or they'll fork and twist. I use grow bag compost and sharp sand with a bit of home-made compost mixed in. Don't ask me the proportions...I just mix it till it feels right!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 22:38 by DD. »

Hectare

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 13:07 »
Thanks to Solway cropper for the compost advice....I like that approach.

Cheer Randombod, I am in Cambridge...a long way from Morrison land....

I planted some parsnips  in my garden, late last year as a bit of an experiment. They have produced lots of leaf but are still at the very baby stage. What are the chances they will actually develop during this year? Should I leave them in?

Thanks again to all

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 13:22 »

I planted some parsnips  in my garden, late last year as a bit of an experiment. They have produced lots of leaf but are still at the very baby stage. What are the chances they will actually develop during this year? Should I leave them in?

As biennials, although they've not had a full growing season they have gone through their first winter and my guess is they will run to seed when they start to grow again.

Others on here have possibly got away with it...............................?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 13:46 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Back to Eden / Woodchip. Parsnips in Containers

Started by ARPoet on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 12, 2016, 22:15
by Tenhens
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Containers

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 15:33
by kezlou
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 38 queries.