To close pop hole or not???

• 23 Replies

dizzylizzie

Re: To close pop hole or not???
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 20:24 »
Well to be honest I would shut them in at night.  More so because we had a rat problem at one point which was quickly solved but it is amazing how small a hole this rat could get through.  Plus it also keeps the chickens from the cold and any other animals.

As mentioned earlier if you dont get the chance to always shut them up at night I would highly recommend getting an automatic door for them.  It will set you back about a £100 but it more than pays itself off.

I think there is a place for the automatic pop holes, but personally i would preferre to shut them in myself, that way i can count them all (by torchlight if necessary) and i know they are all safe and cosy. As for getting them up, well they are hardly going to come to any harm if you have a lie in a the weekend...better they are sqwarking to come out than eaten by something that gets in an open door ;)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 21:06 »
mine are on the allotment and i don't shut them up any more.  they've been fine for over a year now. no fox can get it, rats do but they're kept under control so they're not massive ones and there's so much food about they haven't gone for my chickens.

joshbuchan

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45 »
i shut them up everynight and let them out everymorning, for a teen like me its kinda a good thing to get me up in the morning, but also it keeps the cockerel at bay y hes in a dark hutch.

this is a honest truth, my dads freind breeds lots of chickens, one night she was very drunk and forgot to lock up the shed, next morning there was only 1 very lucky shocked hen left out of over 50, and the end worst bit the fox only took 2. fox hunting has now been banned so theres a masive increes on foxes in the towns and citeys, i have seen them running down roads and jumping fences at very urly hours of the morning, also i see the od badger.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 12:01 »
I've had an auto closer from the start, and think it's wonderful.

In the summer the girls are up and about first thing, a lot earlier than I am, though they do have to wait till 6am for their breakfast, cos I take the food in every night (rats).  They have access to water though, I don't take that in.

I got the auto closer because of the convenience of not having to think/remember and clock watch.  It takes all the worry out ot it.  I'd be very worried about rats getting in.  And whilst my pen is as fox proof as a pen can be, a closed pophole is added security and peace of mind.

Also handy if you have to ask friends/neighbours to chook sit. They only have to come in for feeding/cleaning/egg collection.

It was expensive, but I think worth every penny.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 13:24 by Flowerpower136 »

Beano

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 13:20 »
We shut ours in every evening and open the hatch every morning even though they are in an enclosed run. The vent of the run has been re-enforced with weld mesh and the bit that the hatch runs up and down on has been weld meshed from inside. The coop is like fort knox which helps me sleep at night. So maybe it's more for my benefit than theirs.
El.

grumpydad

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 16:00 »
i open up at about 0730, but close the pop hole as soon as they have all gone in, just make sure they are all there and close it up, we have had a rat earlier in the winter, but i have poison permanently in place under the shed to keep them in check

matilda duck

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 16:38 »
Those of you who NEVER close your flock in at night have obviously never experienced the full on FOX.  I always close mine in because the one night when I couldn't get them in, the fox did :( believe me, the guilt is still with me.
I would rather put myself out for a few minutes and know my precious lot are safe, than leave it to chance. Believe me the fox doesn't leave anything to chance.

karlooben

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 17:08 »
lock them in  :D , these poop auto openers are ideal if u know and i mean know that your run is fox proof etc personally i would never trust them , i have to put mine out at 6 am wether they like it or not as i go to work at 6,30 am this morning i could swear blind there was a fox on the plot behind the run but i could not see in the dark but at least i could check my main fencing by torch light before letting girls out to know the run is secure .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

browntrouty

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 19:40 »
I never shut mine in, i used to. I keep them in my greenhouse, it's so cold so i adapted a really old (70 yr) old run into little coop for night time, but they refuse to go in it! they love the greenhouse. i did put them in the coop everynight when they had roosted but they were not amused. so now they just go where they want! my bedroom is above it and i hear them if they create, which i am sure they would if  a predator came.

xx
so close.

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 17:26
by k4t1e195
xx
Too close for comfort!

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 22:36
by TeaPots
xx
Free meal for anyone close by

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 09:59
by azubah
xx
Do you need to close the coop at night?

Started by OakR on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2019, 15:05
by snowdrops

Page created in 1.14 seconds with 36 queries.