Frozen seed potatoes?

• 2 Replies

skewball

Frozen seed potatoes?
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:35 »
Following on from a previous post about frost bitten stored potatoes. I had seed potatoes delivered a couple of weeks back and as I was going away I decided to place them in eggtrays ready for chitting and left them in our (attached) garage near the window.
After all that really cold weather we had then it’s perfectly possible that the potatoes may have been subjected to freezing temperature – although I don’t know for sure as I’m not long back.

Is there anyway of telling if they are ruined? (could they be ruined?). If they are then I obviously potentially need to get some more but would need to know soon!

Thanks for you help

drdave

Re: Frozen seed potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 13:45 »
yes I have the same problem. The duds went soft and mushy when the frost cleared. Try covering the survivors in fleece. It will le tlight in but should help with frosty nights :mad:

Trillium

Re: Frozen seed potatoes?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 15:54 »
skewball, feel the spuds. If they're mushy, then hit the shops asap for new ones. If they're still reasonably firm or with only a bit of softness and wrinkling, then you're okay. But do keep them away from cool places until you can keep a regular eye on them. Out of the ground, spuds won't tolerate frosting or freezing.

xx
Frozen seed potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 09:17
by Kristen
xx
Frozen potatoes

Started by Terry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 22:37
by Babstreefern
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
seed potatoes

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2013, 20:36
by DD.

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 36 queries.