feeding advice please

• 9 Replies

Hawkins

feeding advice please
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:13 »
I have a chicken that is well on the way to a full recovery from sterile EYP. Whilst she has been home I have been feeding her anything and most things to keep her apetite going and to try and help keep her going through her illness

Lately she has been prefering the corn over other food which is great and I have allowed her to eat as much as she wants.  I took her off the ex bat layers mash on the advice of the vet as we want to try and discourage her from laying.

My question is what shall i feed her now going forward that isnt for layers.

Also has anyone ever heard of removing the egg laying bits in a chicken or had a chicken have this operation. Is it even an option.

Thanks Guys
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Foxy

Re: feeding advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 17:49 »
Yes, a vet could operate and this would stop her laying, if your vet is happy to do so. I have seen this performed, unfortunately the the hen was riddled with tumours which is a common cause of internal laying.
Feeding, IMO keep her on a light diet mixed corn with growers will be OK. Putting her to bed early will help prevent her laying for a while if thats at all feasible :)

alotment lad

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 21:58 »
i would (at a gusse ) would say thats a big opp for a chicken . and would effect it loads and stress. my opinion

Hawkins

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:44 »
Thanks Guys,

I havent even asked the vet about the op I was just wondering if it had ever been done or was possible etc. She is in no state at the moment anyway. She is back to the vet for a check up next week. The vets have been fab. Even if he doesnt see her for a week he rings me to find out how she is getting on.

Foxy thanks for the feeding advice, im concentrating on getting her weight back up and no probs keeping her in the dark as she is a house chicken now at the moment.

Ill get some growers see if she will eat it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:48 »
she should eat it ok, most seem to prefer that to layers  :D. Hope she will be ok, sounds like she is in good hands with you and your vet  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:57 »
I tell you what Joy she has been absolutely spoilt since she became ill before Christmas. She has been in the spare room in a box on towels with food and water just a beak away. She comes downstairs wrapped in a towel and watches telly with us. When she came home first she couldnt walk because of the swelling betwen her legs so she had a bath most days to keep her bum clean.

Chicken only cost me £1.00, 3 trips to the vet at £30.00 each roughly. She has cost me a small fortune but she is mine and shes fab. She cuddles up on my lap and falls asleep snoring. OH just laughs. We had visitors over Christmas and they were laughing there head off because I had to move the chicken for them to sit down.

Anywhere else and I would be locked up for being mad. I brought another chicken home to keep her company and even though she couldnt walk much she was waddling around trying to attack it. It was so funny.

Fingers crossed she is well on the mend lets hope she has another good few months of being absolutely spoilt.

Beano

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:28 »
I have my fingers crossed for you also. She will end up being your favourite, that's what happened to ours.
El.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33 »
I don't think people who don't have chickens (and some who do) realize just how attached we become to them, they are our pets and as such are part of our families and therefor deserve the very best that we can give them  :D, When my cockerel was ill, I had him sat in my office with me - he had the heating on, lots of cuddles and all the medication he needed.
When she is well enough and goes back outside you will really miss her (or is your house her new forever coup?  :lol:)

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 11:36 »
Well done. She is a very lucky girl to have such good people looking after her.

Hawkins

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44 »
Im not sure whats best for her really when she is well. I think she would like to go back to the other chickens but im worried she will be eating layers mash again and may try and produce another egg. On the other hand I have a fantastic rabbit and guniea pig house  brick built insulated with cctv and a place to put a heat lamp so she could live in there but will she be happy on her own all day and then only having cuddles at night, and will bringing her in and out of the house mess with her temperature and make her ill.

I feel like a very responsible parent.  I think I have her for about another month at home anyway by the time she finishes all her medication and puts a bit of weight on. It may be warmer by then as well so that will help.

I dont know, whats best for her?

xx
Feeding advice please

Started by jaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 22:11
by grinling
xx
Duckling Feeding Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 17:43
by darrena
xx
Feeding Advice Needed

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 21:22
by Vember
xx
Feeding Chicks - Some advice please

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 14:17
by Colernehens

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 31 queries.