Where to put a bird house?

• 15 Replies

Rowan

• Experienced Member
Where to put a bird house?
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:42 »
I got a snazzy birdhouse for christnmas in the shape of a caravan! where is a good place to site it so that a bird nests in it and its out of the way of my killer cat?

Thanks

madcat

Re: Where to put a bird house?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 13:38 »
High on a house wall works, 'cos the cats can't get there, unlike on a tree.  General rule is somewhere on the north/ northeast side so it doesn't get too hot for the chicks (yeh okay, difficult to imagine now!), with something for the parent birds to land in not too far away (bush, tree, hedge) so they can stop and check out the situation in cover b4 heading in.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 15:44 »
If you prefer to put it on its own post, then make a cat deterrent (baffle) with a semi-circle of light sheet metal that you fasten like an upside down horn a foot or two below the birdhouse. No animal can navigate its way from under the metal nor can it get its claws into the metal to work its way up the post. I do that for dratted squirrels trying for my bird feeders. You can also make something similar from a sheet of flexible poly.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.wildbirdhabitatstore.com/http-//www-wildbirdhabitatstore-com/13-squirrel-baffles/cat-152-html/cat_152.html

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 00:58 »
My son made a very solid posh job of a bird nesting box for me as a Christmas present.... it was very much appreciated as he is a working chippie these days - it was nice to have something he had spent time on and made himself.

I intend putting it on the plot to encourage a bit of the extra sort of wild-life I'd welcome (not pigeons!) .... which side of the shed is still a puzzle... south facing is the best place for me as it is the back high end of the shed but I guess it should go the other end over the door  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:22 »
Compromise and go for the east side?

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:47 »
Compromise and go for the east side?

I thought that too but it is just a row of windows.... Bird box on a stake, maybe?

Bigger things in life to worry about so I'll wait until I get it there and then have inspiration!!  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 18:09 »
The most important thing is that the box/house should not be exposed to the worst of the weather or face full sun for most of the day  :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 22:37 »
The most important thing is that the box/house should not be exposed to the worst of the weather or face full sun for most of the day  :) :)

Over the top of my shed door it is then.... mainly north facing and I checked today... it shold fit and leave clearance for the door to open and close  ;)

I might need to wear a hat though  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 21:40 »
I should have mentioned that it needs to be very secure or heavy birds like magpies can dislodge it  :ohmy: :ohmy:

But I expect you knew that  :happy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 21:46 »
I should have mentioned that it needs to be very secure or heavy birds like magpies can dislodge it  :ohmy: :ohmy:

But I expect you knew that  :happy:

The construction is a proper job - marine-ply and hefty too. I will reinforce the shed's timber wall from the inside and take my big-rachet screw driver to the plot. Shed may blow away but the bird box should stay put.

Thanks for the reminder  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 21:50 »
Wouldn't like you to grow an egg on your head, now  :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 21:53 »
Wouldn't like you to grow an egg on your head, now  :tongue2:

It's going to have to go up as high as possible.... can't be doing with wearing a bird box!

And all eggs / nestlings / gappers and fledglings need to avoid my new allotment hat!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 21:54 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ex-cavator

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 18:11 »
Over the door will be OK - I'm guessing it's got a 'standard' size hole i.e. around 7/8-1", suitable for Blue Tits, etc? If so, they'll soon get used to the comings & goings. But make sure, if it's just under the gable end of the roof, passing cats can't sit directly above it and scare the birds off, even if not actually get to them. You might need to attach a couple of brackets to the eaves and stretch some wires across to foil any cats. A decent shrub or cover somewhere to the front of the box is useful - cover for the parents returning with food, also for the fledgelings when they first leave the nest.
I'm fortunate in that my new plot has a mature tree in the hedgerow across the end, so I'll put a box in that, but another idea might be, to build a box inside a shed, with a hole through the wall straight into it  8)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 18:36 by ex-cavator »

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 21:40 »
Over the door will be OK ................................................................another idea might be, to build a box inside a shed, with a hole through the wall straight into it  8)

I like that idea & I'm sure my son would be able to construct a box for inside mounting... my only worry is that the temperature in the shed can get pretty high = poached eggs as well as air that is too dry  :(

xx
Bird Seed

Started by Sadgit on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 09:00
by richyrich7
clip
Bird of Paradise seedlings

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bird friendly weedkiller??

Started by Raven81 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 11:53
by Raven81
xx
how to remove old ivy from your house

Started by Jim T on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 20:37
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 29 queries.