poop shelves under perches

• 8 Replies

karlooben

poop shelves under perches
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:54 »
at the mo i have wood planks under the perches to catch any poo but i am seruiosly consiering taken then down an using greenhouse staging bolted to the wall of shed with large plant trays in that can then be filled with shavings for easier cleaning good idea  :D, but i wanted to know what others use ? .

the wood is slowly getting caked in solid poo and its yukky an the germs etc do worry me but one thing with using plastics trays an metal staging is its less for the red mites to hide in .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

grumpydad

Re: poop shelves under perches
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 13:35 »
i have a thick layer of easibed, shavings under the perch, about 3 inches thick, all over the floor of the coop, to help insulate it in the cold, i usually just poop scoop in the mornings, this may be easier for me at the moment, as with my losses i only have 4 at the moment.

a couple of large seed trays would be a good idea, you could take them out, scrape and wash, disinfect and replace, with minimum of effort, would maybe help if they did not have drainage holes. maybe a couple of sheets of newspaper in.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 14:05 »
thats what i am planning on doing but i wanted to see if the greenhouse staging would be secure enough as my perches are quite high up , although as i now dont have a lower perch then theres not really a need in the staging but my girls love walking along the wood to get to another area of the perches bars it quite funny to watch .

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 16:32 »
if you were able to grow plants on the staging i dont see why it would not be strong enough, if you were worried about it swaying, get a couple of L shaped brackets from a diy store, one onto the staging legs one onto the coop walls, short screws so they did not go through the coop walls

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 17:17 »
 :tongue2: great minds think alike as thats just what i was planning to do .

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 15:51 »
I think that if you start adding 'extras' to the coup, its just more things that have to be washed and dried, and more places for the dreaded mite?

I've played around with paper and trays under the perch, and have concluded that its easier to have a good deep layer of wood shavings and poo pick with the marigolds on daily.  Couple of big handfulls and the job's done.  Though my coup is very easy for me to access, and I've only 8 chucks.  So I suppose it depends on your set up.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 16:35 »
i can see what your saying by making things as simple as possible , i may just lower my perches a bit tomorw an lay down more shavings which i forgot about and put the last bag in the stable today  :tongue2: oh well scoop some back out .
i only have an 7 by 7 foot shed with double doors shelving around 2 sides of it with perches above an the nest boxes underneath one side but they get covered anyway of a nighttime.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 17:48 »
It's much easier for me, I've just the one big coup, which is built at exactly the right height for me to reach into, and has huge doors opening up the whole front, so poo picking the coup floor is just like picking stuff off the kitchen table, I barely even need to bend over! 

Can you tell that I'm a designer, Eh?!  Can you? :D

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 18:06 »
seems like u have done the design i am planning on doing maybe oneday  :tongue2: :tongue2:

xx
How far apart should perches be?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:08
by mad chicken
xx
Perches

Started by lamina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 06:53
by GTO
xx
Perches

Started by Pixiewish on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:12
by jhub
xx
Perches

Started by rugbyman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 22:33
by mpv1961

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 28 queries.