I am ready for next season, are you?

• 29 Replies

Joolz

• Experienced Member
Re: I am ready for next season, are you?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 10:27 »
I am so NOT ready. I have my seeds. I have my new shiny half plot. I've ordered my spuds and shallots. But I haven't been able to tidy my plot at all due to the weather. I also need to get a second and second-hand set of garden tools together to leave at the allotment. I don't drive and carrying everything back and fro is going to get old very quickly - especially as it is over a mile each way.

Mind you that will help with the diet!  :)

Joolz

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 10:33 »
Slightly more ready now. White Lady runner bean & Shirley tomato seed just dropped through the letter box.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Babstreefern

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 14:41 »
As I said earlier, I've now sown my mammoth onions and leeks.  By the way, my New Year Resolution is to keep the cat from lying on my trays - I'm sure he was a chicken in a past life, trying to hatch the darn things.LOL

My next job, when my raised plant liner comes through the post, is to dig out my 6x4 raised planter, then put in the liners, and put in moss peat as I'm growing triffids hoping they will eat the pesky wasps, cabbage whites, etc. :D
Babs

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 16:05 »
I'm sort of nearly ready, I managed to get the half plot next to mine which I managed to clear the weeds and dig before the bad weather. Ulster prince potatoes going in there.
I bought most of my seeds in last season's sales, and my greens will come from a local market trader who's stuff I had particular sucess with!

Ordering a kiwifruit (1-self pollinating) and onion sets from T&Ms this week.

gillie

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 16:22 »
No.  Most pressing job at the moment is pruning the apple trees which always takes longer than we think as they are fairly big trees now.  I have ordered some seeds and started doing a little planning in my head but that is it.

I am not at all worried, Late February or Early March will be quite soon enough to start things off.

Cheers,

Gillie

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 08:36 »
Not ready yet will have to get onto it soon tho im not worrying yet as we got our plot at the end of Jan last year and still managed to get on top of thing and this year will be so much easier.
Thanks
Kris

Christine

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 16:13 »
Mostly ready - seeds in hand, now have all the tools required, had most of the plot sorted, pruning done and oldest compost heap spread under fruit trees by November, new heap started, leaves collected and stored for leaf mould, hedges trimmed. November was very wet and stopped work, December has been either wet, frozen or snow covered so not much done.

There was a nice thaw on Wednesday and I thought jolly good, Friday I can start the year right by building up the compost heap with all the Christmas peelings, cardboard and other items gathered together. So overnight it snowed about five inches deep. Forgetgardening. Nothing urgent to do that will stop planting up come the end of February which is still early up here. Would just be nice to get the compost heap built up and the others turned in advance but was with last year - could be lastminute.com and it did no harm.

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 16:25 »
Since I grow 95% open pollinated veg, I already have most of my seeds. got a few new ones in recently though and look forward to trying some unusual cabbages. Saved all my heirloom pea seeds from last year so this year I can save seed AND eat half the crop. Ordered new seed spuds last fall and they'll arrive in April. In my climate it's far too early to start seeding anything so the task now is to organize all the seeds into 2 new containers, one for flowers, one for veg, all with dividers, etc. I'll be so organized I won't be able to find a thing  :lol:

purplebean

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 11:40 »
I am so not ready. For the last two yearsI have had a plan to put 10 raised beds in the weedy mess that is the bottom of our garden and I haven't done it yet. I have a couple of raised beds near the house but that only lets me grow a few things.

I was thinking that if I started a thread about my progress with pictures then I might actaully motivate myself to do it. Or you guys could kick me up the ass when I say  have done nothing!

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 13:22 »
I'm a bit worried about not being ready at all compared to you guys  :unsure:
The weather's been so bad here and I really haven't even had time to go up to the plot for ages now.
My box of seeds is all from last year and I'm wondering if they'll be any good? They all still in date though. . .

purplebean

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 13:37 »
Many seeds still germinate fine for several years. If you have any parsnip ditch it and buy fresh, pretty much everything else should be fine

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 15:15 »
Don't worry about being behind schedule - I haven't started preparing my beds or anything; that'll probably be a month or so away yet, given how wet the soil is
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 15:19 »
My seed order is the only thing I have ready. I hadn't even thought about all the others things I have to get ready. I will be in the greenhouse for a couple of night mixing up my compost mix for the spuds. I then need to turn all the soil over in my garden by hand or use my tractor and 3m wide rotovator which does the whole area in 5mins( I think we all know what choice I will take there)
I still have the broken panes of glass to sort on the greenhouse and prepare some leek beds and carrot beds. So I guess I am not as ready as I thought :(
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 17:45 »
well i have bought my seeds for this year, and the nex, and the next, and the next...  :lol: every time i see some i have to buy them. got some digging to do but yea not too bad

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 18:33 »
Have planned what I want to grow and where this year, and made a mental note to not miss out on the best choice of seed potatoes if they appear ridiculously early in the garden centres (very likely, based on recent years showings!)

Apart from that, with my parsnips still frozen into the ground I'm happy to stay warm inside and enjoy the odd Islay malt (or two!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
what a season so far

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 10:17
by surbie100
xx
First of the season

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 16:23
by sunshineband
xx
Twice in one season!

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.914 seconds with 32 queries.