I am ready for next season, are you?

• 29 Replies

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
I am ready for next season, are you?
« on: December 29, 2009, 18:19 »
Well I have now had delivery of all my seeds that I ordered and I am looking forward to the next season.
Carrots - Sweet Candle
Leeks - Improved Pendle, Welsh Seedling and some Pot leeks.
Lettuce - Sunny and Sandrine
Squash - Kabocha
Peas - Show perfection.
Potatoes - I am going to grow around 120 varieties just for a bit of variation :tongue2:
Cabbage - About 12000 of them for my sheep to eat :ohmy:

So what has everyone else got planned?

My leeks are already 12 inch high but I managed to kill a few off by over watering. Everything was alright with the leeks until it went wrong ;)
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

MoreWhisky

Re: I am ready for next season, are you?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 18:34 »
I know im planning on growing lots of Squashes this next season, as ive proper got into eating them ).
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 18:36 »
I just hope the carrots are nice as I will be planting about 400.
The leeks will be super if I don't kill any more off. :tongue2:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 18:47 »
Im sure they will be Iain , i grow Red Intermediate bought from Alan Romans fantastic tasting carrots.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 22:42 »
No! Got our half-plot in October, but have only managed to dig over & weed about half of it so far. It's been so wet down south, it's been impossible to do the thorough weeding I need to do to pick out all the crouch grass roots. Don't mind being wet, but when it's muddy have found it difficult to shake all the good soil off of the weedy matted roots.

Had a couple of rare good dry sunny days this week, but have been laid up in bed for the past 3 days and only just getting out and about again today.. just in time for another week or more of sleety rain. Boo.  :(

I do have all my seeds ready, am awaiting my seedy potatoes ordered from you, and plans drawn up though! :tongue2:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26 »
Getting there....!

Have my plot all planned out on paper (that's the easy and most fun bit) - we're more or less starting from scratch.  Have dug quite a lot but at least half the plot is still under matting, trying to kill off the couch grass...

Ordered my seed pots yesterday: trying Maris Bard, Pentland Javelin, Marforna, Saxon, Desiree, King Edward and Maris Piper.

About to put in my seed order, must do that today. 

My main problem is lack of places to start stuff off.  No greenhouse, so I use windowsills. I've always managed with windowsills for my garden, but an allotment demands slightly more plants  :tongue2:  I'm plucking up courage to ask parents if I can "borrow" some space in their conservatory (which has nice seed tray-width sills all round) - it would be ideal for chitting too methinks!

Might do a bit more digging this week if it stops raining...

Penny  :lol:

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 13:36 »
rather wet to do anything down here at the moment, got no plans lol will just play it by ear, only my 1st full season

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 13:47 »
Last few seeds needed are ordered and on their way. Seed spuds to pick up from Brookside when in stock along with onion sets (hope they've got Centurion in again) and shallots.

Hope to be self sufficient in heritage pea seed this year.

Bit of work to do on the plot though, went on hols in the good weather in the Autumn & not really been able to get on it since.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

noshed

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 14:35 »
Seed pots ordered through site shop. Lots of seeds from generous friend. But that's about it.
I went up to the plot on Christmas eve - we'd had a manure delivery but the paths to my plot were thick ice, so I couldn't do anything.
Developed a heavy cold on Christmas Day, only just stopped sneezing now but a slight sore throat. And it's tipping down, so my best laid plans have gan agley.
Still plenty of time before planting time - just have to mend and clean out the greenhouse, mend the cold frames, dig out the remaining weeds, do something about my giant vine, dig out some rampant loganberries, neaten up all the bed edges and spread compost and manure, put new manure in bins if any left. Then I can think about a bit of sowing.
At the moment I'm sitting on the sofa though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 16:36 »
Like me then Noshed........gotta rotten cold and sitting on the sofa and thinking about things to do. When me and the weather are better I'll start on the list ;)

Babstreefern

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 16:49 »
All done - this time last year, I was digging up a lawn, and digging over the rest of the plot - renewing the shed and cleaning the greenhouses. :D

Tomorrow, I will be sowing mammoth onions (both red and white) and mammoth leeks.  Was going to do it today, but I couldn't be bothered.  So I'll do it tomorrow. :blush:

I had planted parsnips this year for the first time ever, and they've come up fantastic - can't believe the size of them 8).  Not bothering with carrots however, tried them 3 times over the years, but I can't seem to succeed with them. :(

By the way, we tried King Edward this year - very disappointed with them :(.  Apparently they are the hardest spud to grow - you need the correct conditions. ???
Babs

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 18:37 »
the plot is all done, just some lime to add in a few weeks then tread down and/or rake over ready for planting, i have ordered a bit of everything via the allotment society but they are still to arrive
first year grower

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 18:39 »
Make sure you don't put any lime where you want to grow spuds.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 18:47 »
i am very sure i wont, its pretty much a blank canvas this year, i took it on in may as a big patch of grass, i have nice neat beds and a master plan on paper(ye right, like thats going to work :lol:)

Debz

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 09:27 »
I have ordered my tomato seeds and I got some other seeds for a recent birthday present.  Will pick up my seed potatoes at the garden centre soon.  I have a couple of bags of manure for the garden but we have been under snow since the 22nd of December and the temperature drops really low every night.  All the work is in my head at the moment.

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
New Season

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 18:10
by sazhig
xx
First of the season

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 16:23
by sunshineband
xx
what a season so far

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 10:17
by surbie100

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 38 queries.