Better flavoured leek.

• 12 Replies

Lardman

Better flavoured leek.
« on: December 23, 2009, 15:38 »
The past 2 years I've grown king Edwards baby leeks and Musselburgh leeks. Despite smelling right neither have the flavour I want, they're a little on the bland side.  I've used both of the packets up so its time to buy something different.

Pages of "good yields of tasty leeks" isn't giving me much to work with from the catalogues, there must be some leek enthusiasts here (eating rather than showing), Im open to suggestions, they're for roasting, pies and soups... and to saute with lambs liver and garlic mash :tongue2:  .... is it dinner time yet?

Goosegirl

Re: Better flavoured leek.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 16:26 »
I LOVE leeks and have grown Musselburgh before, but have got in Autumn Mammoth 2 and Bandit this year. They have all had good flavour but my OH is a chef so maybe, with respect, it is in the cooking??? He uses plenty of salt and black pepper and slices them horizontally to get, say, 3/4-1" circles, then puts them in a metal dish with the seasoning, knobs of butter and plenty of milk to cover and some added cream and add nutmeg if you wish. Cover dish tightly with tin foil and put in the oven at about 180 C for around half an hour (vague instructions re- time and temp but ovens vary). Take out after this time and check they haven't gone dry - this is crucial! You can use up any liquid in the potato mash. Hope this works! :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 16:38 »
One of the best trick with leeks is the following, if you really want the flavour to shine:

melt a little butter, add the chopped (or sliced) leeks and seasoning and sweat gently over a low heat for about 30mins. Dont let it get too hot or they will burn; just the merest hint of a sizzle is all that is needed; and no lid needed at all (the flavour intensifies with no lid). Butter has a real affinity with leeks.

This REALLY does draws out the flavour bigtime  - even on an otherwise bland variety of leek. But patience with this cooking is the key. But then if they have grown for so many months this is no time at all!

This can now be eaten as it is or as a base for one of the following favourites of mine for  a more impressive dish:

(1) Mix in some dijon mustard and a dollop of creme fraiche (great side dish with a roast either as is, or put in a shallow dish in the oven/grill to brown on top)
or
(2) Mix the cooked leeks with 3-4 beaten eggs, a dollop of cream or creme fraiche, and some cheese (gruyere is fab for this, as is mature cheddar) and put in a pastry case - bake as for a quiche. Heavenly warm or cold.

And another thing I do with leeks earlier in the year is sow an extra packet in a raised bed or the equivalent with the sole purpose of using the shoots (when they are a lot thinner than they would be for planted out properly to grow as full leeks) in a salad - bursting with leek/oniony flavour but not too overpowering. This year I managed to do 3 sowings a month or two apart to have them in salads through to autumn.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 16:44 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 19:37 »
King Richard is my favorite leek for taste, but it is not hardy and really has to be used before the hard frosts. I wonder how you cook them? I would never boil a leek, it "leaks" out the natural flavour :).

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 20:21 »
It could be my cooking - Im the first to admit I can burn water.  :blush:

I'll try poaching them in a little milk and see if that improves the taste. 

(1) Mix in some dijon mustard and a dollop of creme fraiche ...

Do what, with what now ?  :wub:
I've got Colmans English mustard and coffee mate, do they count  :tongue2:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 21:49 »
If you've got butter and a slosh of white wine, that'd be good  :lol: :lol:

Not the same with ale ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 22:10 »
Simply steam (and not for too long) ....  then eat!

I have a feeling the soil type, amount of water when growing and the temperature makes a difference to the flavour as well as the type grown.

Variety is the spice of life - so maybe try growing a few of several different varities.

A leek trial??  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Swing Swang

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 22:14 »
I'm growing 'Jaune de Poitou' Yellow Leek (Early) and 'Bleu de Solaise' Blue Winter Leek , both from realseeds http://www.realseeds.co.uk/leeks.html

Both taste great, but then I'm really happy with Musselburgh too. All grown on heavy clay soil with no additional manure/fertiliser but always planted into the space left by first early spuds (which were heavily manured 4-5months earlier).

SS

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:35 »
+1 for Autumn Mammoth2. Grown them for years now after trying different ones, but I guess it is all subjective.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:36 »
+ another one.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 17:39 »
Jonajo - your recipe sounds fab - will try it!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 18:31 »
yes do - I swear by it and rarely cook them in any other way - well, apart from halving longways, dotting with butter and seasoning then slow roasting. But that's another recipe...

Enjoy xx

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 19:07 »
Jonajo - your recipe sounds fab - will try it!

Doesn't it though..... I drooled... :D

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Best-flavoured shallots

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 04, 2015, 10:42
by Goosegirl
xx
Which is the best flavoured garlic?

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 12:34
by Diddy Gardener
xx
mild flavoured sprouts

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 21:49
by Ice

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 37 queries.