bug alert

• 12 Replies

splodger

bug alert
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:24 »
hi peeps - just thought i would let you know that i've seen that the carrot fly is active - so look after yours crops (parsley - celery -parsnips as well as carrots)

if the cow parsley is in flower in your area - then the carrot fly will be out and about.

this little beastie is attracted to the smell of the crops (especially of damaged foiliage) be carful when thinning - do it when the fly is not in air - in a shower or late in the day.

avoid bruising the leaves and remove thinnings away from crops immediately.

some people cover their carrots with fleece - i believe this is also effective.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
bug alert
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 13:31 »
Good advice there - thanks
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
bug alert
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 13:52 »
thanks for the heads up! ive never had them before and im damned if i will let them get me!

My first row of autumn king are coming through. But ive loads of marigolds ready to plant in a ring around them to make a defensive line!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

sootypaws

bug alert
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 13:56 »
I've not been having a lot of luck with my carrots. 1st sowing nothing, may have been due to hot weather. 2nd showed through but have now stranglely disappeared. Any suggestions?
Ann
 :D  :D  :D
ps never had a problem in previous years.
sootypaws

Trillium

bug alert
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 15:26 »
Can't give you an actual answer, but we've always found that if it's a good year for potatoes, which it seems to be in the UK this year from most of the forum threads, then it's a poor year for carrots. And visa versa. They love the opposite weather to each other. Sometimes the weather is so subtle that it's hard to tell what which thrive, so you'll have to make do each year with a bit less of one and a lot of the other.  I know it's not an answer but that's how nature works. Just keep seeding lots of carrots, in different places, and keep fingers crossed that you'll get enough this year.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
bug alert
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 18:43 »
If you mix them up with love-in-a-mist not only does that help to add some spacing but the blue flowers confuse the carrot fly!!  :tongue2:

This year I also added some raddish seeds, they come up quick thus marking the rows, also provide spacing, and I felt that they also regulated the damp soil so the carrot seed did not rot!

And don't forget the tagetes and/or spring onions between the carrot rows the flyers don't like that either  :wink:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

mkhenry

Re: bug alert
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 19:24 »
Quote from: "splodger"
hi peeps - just thought i would let you know that i've seen that the carrot fly is active - so look after yours crops (parsley - celery -parsnips as well as carrots)

This may seem a daft tip to some people but it will strike a cord in a great many others.............If you need to wear specs when you read,then at this time of the year pop them on when you water.You would be suprised how many of us do not see the pests until the are all over the plants. Sometimes hard to admit,but it will pay dividends to wear your readers. 8)  8)  8)
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Ice

• muck spreader
bug alert
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 20:27 »
Good point mkhenry.  It also works in reverse when looking for dust in the house.  My house is NEVER dusty. :wink:
Cheese makes everything better.

mkhenry

bug alert
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 20:54 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Good point mkhenry.  It also works in reverse when looking for dust in the house.  My house is NEVER dusty. :wink:

:lol:  :lol:

And I am tall young looking and Ive still got a full head of hair.Darn those glasses :?

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
bug alert
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 20:43 »
i have been told to scatter soot around the rows sparingly when thinning they dont like the smell,this ones an oldie but a goodie and if you know a sweep its also cheap too :wink:

yummy

bug alert
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 22:04 »
My fleece keeps blowing off. Everyday I go there and it is waving around in the air. Will have to get it sorted.

WG.

bug alert
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 22:06 »
Quote from: "yummy"
My fleece keeps blowing off. Everyday I go there and it is waving around in the air. Will have to get it sorted.
Save your plastic milk bottles.  Fill them with sand.  They don't tear the fleece.

mkhenry

bug alert
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 05:09 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "yummy"
Save your plastic milk bottles.  Fill them with sand.  They don't tear the fleece.

Now that WG is a great tip. :D  :D

xx
red alert toms

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 16:17
by mumofstig
xx
Blight Alert

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 06:37
by AlistairMcLennan
xx
Newbie Alert

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 22:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
Weather alert

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 10:56
by p00rstudent

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 27 queries.