coal and wood ash?

• 22 Replies

JuneFR

Re: coal and wood ash?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 14:47 »
Not sure about the victorian way of doing things but I always save the potash from wood/paper buring to put on the veggie patch.  Any coal makes a fantastic path base, or if you have heavy clay I have used it there to break it up.  Mix the potash in with poultry manure and hey presto you will have 'jack in the beanstalk' veggies. 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 21:00 »
To be more green we've replaced our oil biller with a wood log batch boiler. Its very efficient, and thus generates "not much ash" relatively speaking, but we're bagging it to use fresh next year. I'm thinking Toms and Raspberries etc ... but does anyone have any advice on how much "dose" to give, and as it washes away so easily, "how often"? Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 23:45 »
"How often" depends on your soil; it will leach away much faster in free-draining soil than heavy clay.

This link has some interesting info about the nutrients in wood ash compared to ground limestone (wood ash being surprisingly high in calcium (lime), limestone having a number of useful minerals other than calcium in it).

Both of these will raise the pH of your soil, which may or may not be what you want; extra lime is good for brassicas, bad for spuds.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Zippy

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 07:51 »
You'd need to take Victorian advice with a dose of salt.

I thought the reason Victorian windows were so small was because it was impossible at the time to form a large pane of glass without it being distorted; anyway ...

I do think gardeners should be wary of taking any of the olde advice as gospel just because "the Victorians did it"; I mean, how many people today still do double digging   ???

bonfire

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 18:57 »
The Crystal Palace for the 1851 Great Exhibition was built of iron and glass Zippy. A million square feet of plate glass. This was a demonstration of the new technical capacity for factory glass production and helped set the fashion for more plate glass and bigger windows so you are possibly thinking of the previous century.

My point was not an argument to follow the Victorians slavishly but not arrogantly to ignore their practice where it was based on experience and worked.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 22:17 »
Don't want to go too deeply into this argument which seems to have an element of "tradition versus science" about it, but can't see where the arrogance is in Zippy's point of view.

bonfire

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 22:58 »
My point about rejecting good experience was not aimed at Zippy. Sorry Z if it seemed that way.
There were few ages more science smitten than the Victorians - we are at least as inclined to believe in magic additives and super foods!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 23:13 »
- we are at least as inclined to believe in magic additives and super foods!

I'm with you 100% on that point bonfire; the lessons learnt through experience and the knowledge brought by science are easily set aside to be replaced by "the quick fix" mentality which seems to better suit modern society's short attention span (the real truth about anything is unfortunately hard work to arrive at)!

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
Coal Fire Ash

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 22:24
by richyrich7
xx
Coal ash, any good?

Started by Liverpool Brick on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 08:53
by Liverpool Brick
xx
Coal tar Disinfectant

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2007, 15:59
by WG.

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 31 queries.