whats the correct amount of layers pellets to feed a hen.

• 31 Replies

bubs

Re: whats the correct amount of layers pellets to feed a hen.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37 »
i have got 6 amberleighs and 12 warrens the amberleighs are about 6-8 months older , my neighbour has got 12 warrens and yes his hens do lay very well , he is a miserly person and if he does not get over 75 eggs out of a possible 84 per week in the good months he is gutted  :( , i have spent loads on medicenes flea powders sprays disenfectants and tonics and bedding , aluminium drinkers . he has got straw jeyes fluid and old plastic pots yet he has hammered me in productivity and he hasn't been pinching mine either lol .

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 10:40 »
but yours will continue to keep laying for a longer period  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 18:45 »
That's the answer then they have become so pampered that there's no time for laying!

Don't bother with all the quack medication particularly any made by Barrier which is basically a nice smelling powder with mosquito repellent added.  They sell essentially the same product labelled Red Mite Powder, Louse Powder and also Fly repellent and probably others I don't know, depending on the market they want to target .  They all use the same active ingredient Citrodiol (Sp?) which I've found to be useless and unproven against red mite, of unknown effectiveness against lice though the manufacturers of Citrodiol don't list it as being clinically tested for effectiveness against lice, a tollerable fly repellant (though only lasts 20mins or so on a horse which it's targeted at).  It works on humans against mosquitoes.  So save your money on such products and buy some eggs from your neighbour!!!

Don't bother with the supplements and tonics either unless they've been prescribed.  Good basic layers pellets (you don't need the expensive A&P stuff unless you think the eggs taste better (Joyful maybe listening so I have to say this), use Spillers, Marriages, BOCM Paul or any of the bigger names) you don't need to pay more than £7.50 for 20kg. Give then fresh water everyday it's most important, grit & oyster shell available ad lib, and a handful of mixed corn in the evening, minimise scratch feed and corn and you should be fine.

Your neighbour doesn't use light does he?  I can't believe the amount of feed you mention your neighbour gets through for the number of hens.  That's about twice what I'd expect.  Something doesn't add up there.

Best of luck in the neighbour egg race stakes
HF
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 19:18 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 21:08 »
Hilfooter, i use A&p ex-batts pellets and im VERY happy with it, My ex-batts have done alot better on that than anything else, my 'posh' chucks also eat it as they are all in together and they are beautiful also so i will stick with that thanks :) The brand of food you give is personal preference, and if you care for your chucks you will make sure its a good brand!
Bubs, if your chickens look and behave healthily,and there is no evidence of mite,lice,worms etc, no rattly chests, coughs,sneezes,bubbly eyes, smelly breath, problems with crops,clean bottoms/vents and they have access to good food, clean water, shelter and warmth, DONT WORRY! Its winter for one thing, most birds have a rest and stop laying for a while, as they only have a finite number of eggs, THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR YOU, because they will lay for more years. Also, try not to do the school gate thing with your neighbour,Its not a competion, they are living breathing animals, its more inportant that they arehappy and healthy, than they lay more eggs than your neighbours! Relax and enjoy them, they will lay in their own time , when they are ready :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 23:01 by dizzylizzie »

joyfull

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 22:20 »
I heard that Hillfooter and yes they do taste better being fed on A and P organic layers and mixed corn  :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 00:51 »
I heard that Hillfooter and yes they do taste better being fed on A and P organic layers and mixed corn  :lol:

OK Joy you've convinced me I'm going to have to try some A&P for those ultra delicious eggs.  First thing though I'm going to have to persuade them to lay.  Only this years CLBs are producing at the moment.  The rest ..............are having a rest. :)

HF

joyfull

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 06:23 »
well I've bought free range eggs from other people before getting my girls and the only ones that tasted really really nice was those fed on A and P (had to ask the owner), next time we meet I will bring you some of my girls eggs so you can try them  :D

joyfull

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 06:25 »
However your girls may not like them as they haven't tried them before, I know Aunt Sally's girls didn't and I think Cara's didn't either  :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 08:36 »
Joyful, your just showing off cos your still getting eggs  ;) :D
I have had to buy eggs for the first time since my girlies came home,they dont taste ANYTHING like my girls eggs, but on the plus side, my girls are having a very well earned rest :)

joyfull

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 08:40 »
I'm only getting on average 3 a day but I did freeze a load in September and October so have those to fall back on  :happy:
Besides my girlies haven't had to work as hard as yours in the past  :)
joyxx

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04 »
well I've bought free range eggs from other people before getting my girls and the only ones that tasted really really nice was those fed on A and P (had to ask the owner)  :D

I just knew that canabalism hadn't died out in Lincolnshire and as for the curious ritual of falling backwards onto eggs! well I ask you.  :dry:
Love
HF
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:09 by hillfooter »

joyfull

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34 »
 :tongue2: :tongue2:  :D

joyfull

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 11:36 »
Hilly has an alien taken over you as you are starting to lighten up a bit and make funny coments?  ???  :lol: :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41 »
All my comments display impeccable wit (pun intended) it's just that it's taken time for you to tune in!

Dave W

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 21:56 »
Hi Folks. This is one that is puzzling me at the moment too; we have five chickens, three look like they are built for racing and two white ones that are more of a wrestling type. The problem is with the white the white ones, they eat and eat and eat. The vet has declared one of them obese, the trick is to work out how much is enough to feed them and how to restrict this in a mixed run. Any solutions?

Dave.

xx
Ducklings - can we feed crumbled layers' pellets ?

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 20:42
by Vember
xx
Amount to feed

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 14:37
by Roughlee Handled
xx
layers pellets, which ones

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 09:08
by danmegal
xx
layers pellets

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 21:38
by BestBreast

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 31 queries.