pathways...what do you use

• 30 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
pathways...what do you use
« on: November 26, 2009, 15:26 »
as above really. i have a full plot 1/2 of it is grass so am gonna dig sections out and end up with grass path/ walk ways.

the other half is 1 big section of soil so my question is what would be the best most economical way to go about making some walk ways. i don't want to spend loads of dosh so any thrifty ideas welcome

thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: pathways...what do you use
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 15:33 »
I don't have pathways as it cuts down on the growing space.  I just use walking boards - wooden fence gravel boards work for me :)

nickson71

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 15:35 »
I've been looking into this as well for my new plot and I think I going down the weed matting then bark/wood chip on top.

The matting will mostly be of ebay and I'll be trying to get the wood chip of either the council or a local tree surgeon.

If I can't get the wood chips that way I maybe having a big rethink about paths. One idea I've read was keeping an eye out on free cycle for flag stone being given away.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 15:38 »
Mark the edges of your proposed beds with some bits of wood as markers and then just leave your paths as trodden earth for now. When you are sure they are in the right places you can seed them with grass if you want.
Otherwise leave them as trodden earth, they dont take long to weed and eventually harden so that not much grows through anyway. This way is the cheapest but takes a bit of time to weed at first :D but always remember your wellies in the winter :ohmy:

madcat

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 16:04 »
Or you could use some of the turf you are digging out of one section to turf the paths between the boards on the other.

We have narrow grass paths between the beds (which are the max width I can reach into to hoe the middle) and I must admit they don't work well unless you have edgings of some sort.  Ours are wide skirting / floorboards from a builders skip. Without them, the grass seems to constantly escape into the beds.  Maybe I'm just lazy with the weeding, of course!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 17:06 »
My plot had some paving slabs on it when I arrived so I carried on. Found quite a few just lurking in peoples gardens and plucked up the courage to ask for them, or freecycle. My plot neighbour has weed suppressant material which works well for her and next door to her a guy has woodchips which he is now regretting as it has got lots of HONEY FUNGUS in it which he says is really bad news.  On the other side he has grass which suits him and his petrol mower although he does get fed up with it growing into the beds all the time.  So you take pot luck really.  ???
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 18:07 »
I use some fairly heavy duty 1.5m wide woven weed suppressing fabric but no bark chips on top.  It probably won't last as long as if it did have a covering, but it's been in place for a couple of years so far without any obvious UV degradation.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 18:35 »

Is what I use  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 18:54 »
One has to have standards. No scruffy plastic for me thank you.

Grass paths suit me best and those made with proper grass are better than ones allowed to grow from couch and weeds. Proper grass smoothers couch and does not invade the edges so much.

I have seeded some but most are bits of turf jigsawed together, either scrounged turf offcuts or the edges of lawn that stick out over paving and concrete.

OK so grass needs mowing and the edges tidied but you are providing good habitat for all those beetles and other predators that protect your crops.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 19:08 »
Excuse me Salmo -- that's not scruffy plastic I'll have you know but real growing grass  :nowink: :nowink:

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 19:53 »
Not you sunshine.

All weather sports surface. Now that might be good!

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 20:21 »
I don't have pathways as it cuts down on the growing space.  I just use walking boards - wooden fence gravel boards work for me :)

I have to agree with Auntie.  I don;t like to put anything too permanent across my growing area.  I need every inch !!!!  I use planks for areas that are going to be walked on a lot, and break the soil up below it once in a while so it doesn't get too compacted.  The only drawback is after weeks of rain, you cannot walk on it, even with boards.  I keep my winter veg around the edge for this reason.

I also don't like the idea of putting down grass as it has a habit of spreading and housing all sorts of pests that dislike cultivated soil.  It also gives a landing ground for plants like creeping thistle to spread from.

SG6

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 09:35 »
Wooden gravel boards. They give something solid to walk on, maybe a bit narrow if you have any trouble with balance. :ohmy: or big feet  :D :D. They can act as boundries if you want to alter the "bed" size. Just need something like a jigsaw to get them the right length if too long, or a good handsaw.

They don't sit well if the plot has lower edges then the centre so need a flat plot to be used on ???

bigben

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 09:54 »
Aunty Sally - sorry to appear thick - these walking boards, are they bits of wood left in place all the time or do you put a bit of wood down as and when you want to walk. If they are left in place do they not just rot? I can see they would have benefits over carpet which becomes part of the soil and is a pain to then get rid of and they dont need mowing like grass.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:59 by bigben »

noshed

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01 »
A lot of people on our site just get straw out of the manure and strew that down as paths. Then they just dig it in in the winter.
Werks fer them.

I use a combination of that, weed suppressant fabric on the main paths and the bit round the compost bins is scruffy grass. I neaten the edges of the beds in the winter with a spade and that draws the eye away from the general ramshackle nature of my plot.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
pathways?

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 08:27
by Sadgit
xx
green manure in pathways

Started by rowe1311 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 04, 2012, 09:02
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.738 seconds with 30 queries.