Feeders for Mash

• 16 Replies

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Feeders for Mash
« on: November 15, 2009, 16:57 »
I tried out our chooks on mash (added water to their pellets) and they love it  :D They always ate their pellets but they really love it as a mash. You'd think it was a treat  ::) It's also easier to add food supplements to.

I digress  ::) Whats the best feeder to put it in? I've been giving it in a galvanised pan, but three of the eight flick their heads when they eat and one sort of 'chins' it out digging through it  :(

Would one of the galvanised troughs be better? The type with the curled edge. I'd love to know what you all use if you feed mash.

Thanks  :happy:
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

Vember

Re: Feeders for Mash
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 18:13 »
Hi Sarah

The only problem I find with the troughs is they can be easily knocked/blown over so food ends up everywhere  ::)

I use a seed tray obviously the ones without holes in for any wet feed, washes out easily and they can all get their beaks in :)

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 20:29 »
i use water trays for greenhouses as feed areas and also large china dog bowls  :lol: :lol: which is why large pup has a tiny tiny food bowl . once my new shelter is built i will use the plastic feeders that u can hang up but another good thing to use although the food can get flicked everywhere is guttering mines screwed to the side of the run under a small make shift shelter .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 16:05 »
I use an enamel pie dish x
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 16:34 »
i use one of the plastic trays that you stand big pots on for the water to sit in 

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 17:56 »
Thanks everyone  :D

I might just stick with the galvanised pans then and get one of those huge flat tray things for standing chook feeders on, then I can at least scoop all the wastage up and put it back in the pan. I think only three of my eight girls are lady like eaters  :nowink:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:40 »
I'm surprised you have any!!

sam on lewis

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:05 »
When we bought this house we changed all the guttering around the roof, we now use this for seed trays, makes putting seedlings into the ground easy, just dig a shallow trench and push the seeds and soil out of the guttering

We also use a length for feeding the chickens and ducks, you just have to make sure that you use end caps at either end, the guttering is then screwed onto a piece of wooden planking, so that it doesn't blow away. It is light and easy to move around the chicken run so the ground where the hens feed is changed all the time.

scrappydoo

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:05 »
When we bought this house we changed all the guttering around the roof, we now use this for seed trays, makes putting seedlings into the ground easy, just dig a shallow trench and push the seeds and soil out of the guttering

We also use a length for feeding the chickens and ducks, you just have to make sure that you use end caps at either end, the guttering is then screwed onto a piece of wooden planking, so that it doesn't blow away. It is light and easy to move around the chicken run so the ground where the hens feed is changed all the time.

:D Hi Sam on Lewis, I only give mash as a mid day treat :), but I do like the idea of a piece of guttering with end caps (raised off the ground to discourage vermin :mad:) as a feeder.

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 17:51 »
After reading this thread I fed pellets with hot water to my chooks and G*D how they love it!
I'm using a pot flan/quiche dish (as it's absolutely no good for quiche - soggy base  ::)) and it seems to work brilliantly. None wasted and about the right depth  :).
 Thanks for the idea  :) :)

mjd

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 19:34 »
My grandfather used to feed mash years ago and he always used a car tyre cut in half so you end up with a circular trough, similar to the guttering idea except round and FREE  :)

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 20:41 »
hi mjd  guttering is normally free as well especailly if you live at my house , we use tons of it for growing in like peas etc so there plenty to go round which is great as over the next few weeks i will be addign more gutter feeders once the new shelters are built .

mjd

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 09:41 »
Im all for things that are free (not that im tight) I have been known to spend quite allot trying to find something for nothing.  ???

Flowerpower136

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 09:46 »
I use an earthenware quiche thing, its big enough so they can all get round it, and heavy enough so that if someone stands on the side it won't tip up.

I've been using wet mash to bulk up the afternoon corn ration.  And then I just tip it out in the run, its gone in minutes.  Also good for adding fine oyster shell, and that way I can be sure they are eating it.

RoyMK

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 20:58 »
My girls used to make one hell of a mess with their pellets using a plastic feeder and most were getting wasted .I bought a galvanised 50 cm pullet feeder on ebay for £9.50 inc p/p.

Now they all line up and don't make a mess.  I have found its fine for any type of food and its saving me money on pellets.

feeder.jpg

xx
feeders

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 14:10
by WR1
xx
feeders

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 08:54
by Sassy
xx
Feeders

Started by snow white on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 15:14
by Nikkithefoot
xx
how many feeders?

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 08:17
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 28 queries.