Manure for garlic and shallots

• 10 Replies

matt80

Manure for garlic and shallots
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:07 »
Hi all,

I've not long taken over a new allotment and have dug over a large portion of it, ready to put down manure. However, I want to grow lots of garlic and shallots, which I guess should be going in soon.

Should I just forget about manure where I am planting these, or can I manure and plant them in the same spot??

THanks,
Matt

johnwoots

Re: Manure for garlic and shallots
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:37 »
I have manured my onions and Garlic which seens to have done the job , so i would say go for it. (unless anyone else dissagrees!?)

if you are going to grow Root vegetable (carrots, parsnips etc) then you should not manure that area if they will be planted soon as i understand the roots will turn out all mis- shapen due to it searching for the goodness (Nitrogen) released by the manure.

As i have done with my allotmet, I have planned for next season and only manured areas that will benefit the veg i want to grow, so i recommed thinking ahead.

I hope this helps.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 18:50 »
I have read (in Johns book)not to manure prior to planting garlic or onions.
I have been told that the manure promotes lush leaves and  the bulbs suffer as a result.
I did not manure last year and had a fantastic crop of both onions and garlic.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 18:59 »
I didn't use manure last year for the onions -- I put some blood fish & bone down a few weeks before planting the sets in Spring.

This year I put some down before planting the garlic a couple of weeks ago.

Werks fer me  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 14:17 »
I was baffled by the advice whether to manure my garlic and shallots last year.  So I did a bit of both.  The ones that had manure didn't look any bigger than the others, although a few garlic was lost to white rot.  The ones without manure didn't suffer at all.  All got a bit rusty though, but they are still in store and are fine.

My advice would be to save the manure for something else, and let them get on with it.

(I too planted garlic and overwintering onions this year, and while the onions have all poked through the surface, none of the garlic has.  It must just grow a lot slower)

crh75

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 14:35 »
I tend to follow potatoes with onions and roots (carrots and parsnips).  So the ground was manured for the potatoes then I add some spent compost after I have dug the potatoes in later summer/autumn. I then plant onions and garlic in the autumn and carrots, onions and parsnips the following spring.  The spent compost (eg from old flower pots etc) has no nutrition but does keep the clay soil at bit lighter.

From a more scientific point of view, onions will store energy to flower. If the soil is full of nutrients then it can get most of it's nutrients from the soil when needed.  If the soil is a bit lacking in nutrients then it will store up as much as posible in the base of its stem (ie the part we eat) for when it flowers.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 16:16 »
Like this explanation crh75 :D

crh75

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 16:33 »
Why thank you ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 21:31 »
Like this explanation crh75 :D

Me too.... nice one! Very logical.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01 »
The other scientific approach is that if there are too many nutrients/water the onions will probably grow larger but will be leafy and prone to disease and not store well. Half starved onions will be smaller but denser and store better. The secret is to strike a balance which you can only achieve by experience of your own soil and climate.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 20:32 »
I read John's book from cover to cover but must admit that I manure for my garlic and onions. Mostly because my soil was very poor clay to start with, something to consider when you're planting - what is YOUR soil like to start with. If it needs building up like mine, then you might want to use old manure (never fresh) and fork it in well before planting. All the onion family are hungry feeders and good yields come from nourished soil (sorry John). If I have it I also add blood and bonemeal. And be sure that garlic has good drainage if you're on very flat land. Mound up the garlic row a bit and this should do the trick.

xx
garlic and shallots

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 21:25
by zazen999
xx
Onions and shallots and garlic

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 22:53
by Ivor Backache
xx
Too wet to plant garlic and shallots?

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 23, 2023, 15:27
by Benny130
xx
Garlic, Shallots and Onions

Started by MarkG on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 10:11
by MarkG

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 28 queries.