New chickens in coup for 24 hours????

• 8 Replies

carolbriar

New chickens in coup for 24 hours????
« on: November 08, 2009, 19:56 »
We are finally in the finishing stages of building a run for our first ever chickens.  We are going to collect our hens on Thursday and I am very excited.  I have been told by some people that you should shut the hens in the chicken coup for 24-48 hours before letting them out in the run.  I can't believe that is very kind to them.  It's supposedly to get them used to the coup and will help them to get used to their new home.  Is this true?  I hope not!   ??? :(
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: New chickens in coup for 24 hours????
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 20:01 »
I must admit I have read the same thing but haven't got around to asking yet - so thanks for getting there first! Good luck and best wishes with the new chucks, I hope it won't be too long before I have that same feeling of excitment and apprehension! Sue x ::)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 20:19 »
some people recommend it some dont , i personally didnt do it when i first brought my girls and sometimes now i wish i had of done it  :lol: come evening i pretty much spent an hour or more trying to round me girls up an get them to bed .

the reason ppl do this an lock them up for 24 hours is so that the birds can get the scent etc in the coop so that when they are let out they know where to go as it nears bedtime also they would of had time to settle an feel safe in there .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 20:27 »
I've never shut hens in but you may have to put them to bed the first night so they know where they are going. After that should be fine  :)

Even my new dotties who were sleeping in a dog crate in a shed before I got them were up and roosting on the coop perches after night 1. Now they are everyone's favourites to snuggle up to as they are nice and fluffy  :lol:

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 20:29 »
Personally,

We got our chooks in the evening,  brought them home and put them into the coop with the pop hole shut.

in the morning, let them into the run,    repeated this process for a few days.

when it came to letting them out in the garden,   opened the door to the garden and let them find there own way out, when I wanted them back in the run it was simply a case of casting a bit of wheat and kibbled maize in the run and watch them all dive back 'home'

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 20:29 »
If you have an enclosed run attached to the house, I really wouldn't worry. They will naturally look to the henhouse when it dusk falls, they might need a little help finding where to roost, a torch is a useful aid leave it in the henhouse and they will be attracted to the light and not too the nearest tree! :D

carolbriar

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 20:56 »
Thanks for all the replies.  The hen coup is in the middle of the run which has a circumference of 35 metres.  It isn't square or rectangular!  We built it around two trees so there was something for the hens which was different.  I might see about getting them on Wednesday evening and put them in the coup overnight as suggested!  On advice from a friend have bought a box of dried meal worms which I thought I could use to encourage the girls into the coup initially and then as the occasional treat thereafter!  I am very excited but also nervous as I have never had hens before.  We are getting 4 to begin with.  One Barnevelder, one buff sussex and one cuckoo Maran and when I go and collect them will choose another one to go with the first three.  They will only be about 15/16 weeks old so I know it will be a while before they lay but thought if we got them now they could be well settled before laying.  The breeder has advised putting them on growers pellets initially and then when I finish the bag to put them onto layers pellets.  Has anyone got an egg skelter for keeping their eggs in?  Wondered if they worked well - they look fun!  http://www.egg-skelter.co.uk/ Might ask one of my family to get me one for Christmas!  Will try and get some photos up on the site when I get the girls.  This site has been so very useful - thanks to everyone.

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 20:59 »
i wanted one of those but the eggs i have dont last in the house long enough to stay in one of them  :lol: :lol: but i may just buy one for my mum anyway .

wilson5

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 21:18 »
Got my first ever chooks in July, let them out in the run through the day right from the start found if i went into the garden they would go back into the coop or any strange sounds would send them in(but could have been the fact that they had two large dogs watching there every move)
You did not say if the run was covered over that was the only problem i had when getting young chooks they did not know the boundry of my garden and went into trees next door, they fly quite well when young because they are light. 

Welcome you will become addicted and the house work never gets done i spend lots of time in the garden with a cuppa (even though none of my chooks are laying yet) it is delightful when i open the back door  to hang the washing out and they all come scambling down the garden to see what i have for them. :D

xx
what to put in my new coup for a bed!

Started by snowy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 12:29
by snowy
xx
coup cleaning

Started by mikeschooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 18:38
by Wyandottie
xx
Water in the coup?

Started by djt on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2007, 16:06
by djt
xx
Thinking about starting with a hen coup,

Started by wackyjacky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 19:46
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.