should I seperate

• 15 Replies

sallylouise

should I seperate
« on: November 03, 2009, 13:39 »
Hi there,
I put a post on here regarding my chicken being hen pecked, I got some anti pecking spray I only used it yesterday but it seemed to make the chickens worse to the point that when I went in today the chicken that is being hen pecked jumped down from the rooster bar and went to the far corner and laid down in a ball, she has hardly any feathers left, shes bleeding and she is under weight because as soon as she gets down from the bar they are having a go at her so shes not getting enough food, Idon't think she is laying so she is clearly a unhappy girl. I have seperated her today but should I just seperate them now then re-introdue when she is a bit bigger and fitter or keep going with the anti pecking spray not sure what to do can anyone help me with suggestions, I am a bit worried that if I put her back with the other 2 she will be killed by them,
Thanks
Sally

too many girls

Re: should I seperate
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 13:42 »
i would seperate her if i were you, ideally where she can see and hear the others but they can't get at her, she sounds in a bad way and hens have been known to be pecked to death.

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 14:30 »
i would seperate her if i were you, ideally where she can see and hear the others but they can't get at her, she sounds in a bad way and hens have been known to be pecked to death.

Totally agree TGM....it happened to one of our girls when we were away on holiday last year :( :( :( :(

treacleminer

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 17:04 »
I'm afraid there may also be an underlying problem with her.  If she is underweight, she may not be well for some reason.  I have found that if I have a sick chicken the other ones will tend to go for it - flock survival instinct perhaps???

sallylouise

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 17:50 »
I'm afraid there may also be an underlying problem with her.  If she is underweight, she may not be well for some reason.  I have found that if I have a sick chicken the other ones will tend to go for it - flock survival instinct perhaps???

I have checked her for red mite and regulary worm them all , the only reason I feel she is underweight is purely because she can't get to the food because as soon as she gets off the rooster perch she is being pecked, she looks under weight as well because she has hardly any feathers left as well so shes not as full as the other 2 so maybe shes not that under weight just looks it. I have heard about the flock survival but she is not showing any signs of anything other than being hen pecked  :(

treacleminer

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 19:09 »
Well, hopefully if you separate her as the others have agreed, she will soon put on weight and perk up
Best of luck with her

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 20:55 »
hi sallylouise - is there any chance you can put one of your other hens in with her and keep them both seperated for a while before trying to reintroduce them again? maybe one that is the bottom of the pecking order at the moment? i had to introduce 1 hen to my little gang of 6 but even after seeing her through chicken wire for a week a few of tem were nasty to her and she was terrified.  i took her out and tried to pair her up with another younger hen but that didnt work so i swapped them again and put a hen right at the bottom of the pecking order with her - much to my amasement it worked and there has been no agression towards my new hen from her.  i have now added another hen so there are 3 in together and have formed what seems to be a happy  little group.  i didnt want to break up the natural pecking order of the flock but i was desperate and felt sure that she would be killed if i didnt do something(at one point she squatted down and appearde to give in while one of the others sat on her back pecking her it was awful . i have yet to let them all together again but at the moment they can see each other through the wire and are getting used to it.  good luck with it all and i hope your little hen makes a speedy recovery :)

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:00 »
Sounds like the feather pecking is firmly ingrained with your other two now and so it might be difficult to break the habit.  If the hen is injured and bleeding you must separate her asap and treat the wounds with Gentian Purple spray which helps prevent infection and will also discourage (though probably not stop an ingrained habit).  Re-introduce the hen once her feathers have grown back.  Hens feather peck for the blood filled growing feathers.  Once these have fully developed they will be less attractive.  You need to work out why they have developed this habit and often it is due to boredom or overcrowding.  If so give them more area to range in and don't overdo the treats so they have to forage more rather than have everything on a plate.  Chx should be encouraged to be active that way they tend to be too busy to develop boredom habits.

When you re-introduce if the feather pecking continues, fit the two offenders with bits which prevent them plucking the feathers.  A few weeks with these fitted will help rid them of the habit especially if you can change their environment too to encourage better behaviour.  Bits still allow the chx to eat so don't be concerned that it's cruel or will harm them.  I've just done this with an offender who's taken a liking to another moulting chx new feathers.  Now she got the bit she doesn't feather peck and the other bird has grown back a good covering of new feathers so I'll be able to remove the bit after about 3 weeks with it.

Hope this helps
Truth through science.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 21:08 »
hi sallylouise - i was just wondering how your little hen was getting on? did you manage to sort out the pecking order?

sallylouise

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 21:33 »
hi, I got some anti pecking spray but that seemed to make it worse or they went for her head as you can't put it there, So I have seperated them and the one that is being henpecked gets let out in the day and the other 2 stay in the coop and run. I have been putting her with the other chicken who isn't picking on her as much in the hope she forms some sort of bond but she still goes for her and  the one that is really going for her scares the dodo out of the one that is being hen pecked which is horrible to see. They go in seperate sleeping compartments at the mo but it is a pain in the butt to keep them seperated but what can I do as soon as I put her back she gets it. I have put lots more exciting things in their run like a straw bale, bells and dried corn on the cobs but again they still go for her, so really still at a loose end     :blink:

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 21:46 »
sorry to hear you are still having a problem with them :( it is such a worry. my sister tried introducing a new hen to her other 2 and i know she had a problem to start with and had to seperate the aggressor, i hevent spoken to  her for a week or so, ill ask her how hers are doing and she may have a new idea thats worth a try, all the best lucylou

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 18:20 »
hi! just spoken to my sister - dont know if its any help to you - but just incase it is - her 3 are getting on ok now but when she put the new one in with the other 2 she was picked on really badly by the top hen.  she put the top hen in a run by herself and let the other 2 free range together for  a few days and then let the bully out with them, apparently the bully tried to chase the new one for a while but as they had the space to get away from each other they settled down and now get along.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01 »
What a shame for this poor little hen.  I wouldn't put her anywhere near the other 2 for a while, let her get back into some condition.  Be warned tho that it may take quite a while for her to get her feathers back.  Try what hillfooter said with the beak bit.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

sallylouise

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:41 »
Hi guys just wanted to say all chickens are back together now and touch wood everything seems ok, the chicken thay was being hen pecked is growing her feathers back and they are all being nice so fingers crossed, I think it was me buying the beak bits that did it as that was my last option but I never used them, it's like when you take your children to the doctors and they always perk up and get better, thanks for all your advice
sally
 :)

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 13:26 »
Glad the help seems to have paid off sallylouise and your chx are living together in peace :D.  Happy chicken keeping!

xx
New girls, should I keep them seperate?

Started by chickyroo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 13:09
by Hawkins
xx
Do i have to seperate my hens :)

Started by TamCal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:56
by TamCal
xx
Is now the time to seperate...

Started by JaK on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 14:21
by JaK
xx
Is it too late to seperate my broody's

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 13:43
by frenchliving

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 28 queries.