Organic pest control

• 43 Replies

bigben

Re: Organic pest control
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29 »
Ummm is this site sponsored by chemical companies?  ::)
The question is - is anyone using homemade pesticides and what sort of pesticides
They been tested by generations of farmers before DDT-epoche and known as quite well working stuff. By some reasons these natural matters quietly forgotten.  :blush:

I am sure one of the Mods will reply but my observation of site policy has been that  it seems to be to avoid promoting stuff that is not legal. For example other threads have people suggesting using Jeyes fluid or Armillatox to clean soil but while this is chemical based it is not the legal use of the product so the site cannot be seen to be endorsing it. Some home made stuff might work - others will not but as mum says they are not strictly legal.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 11:35 »
Vit - please take notice of what the moderator has told you.  It is our site policy not to encourage posts about them, so please don't !

Please read this:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/home-made-pesticide.php
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:36 by Aunt Sally »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 11:39 »
Beat me to it Aunty :)

Ummm is this site sponsored by chemical companies?  ::)
The question is - is anyone using homemade pesticides and what sort of pesticides
They been tested by generations of farmers before DDT-epoche and known as quite well working stuff. By some reasons these natural matters quietly forgotten.  :blush:

Thank you bigben :)

vit, the site is not sponsored by chemical companies and I'm sure that John the site owner would be very offended by your saying that >:(
Home-made pesticides may be widely used where you are, and indeed they may be here, for all I know, but the site's advise is still the same ..........they are illegal.
Here is his John's page on the subject, so everybody is clear about the situation

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/home-made-pesticide.php

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 11:43 »
I would just like to add that any further debate on home made concoctions on this thread will be removed by the moderators.

Swing Swang

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 22:59 »
Maybe the way to move this discussion forward legally is to consider companion planting as many plants give off natural repellants. I put french marigolds in unused spaces, plant poached egg plants to attract hover flies, and am trialling nasturtium as a sacrificial blackfly detractor.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 23:07 »
Sing Swang Oh, no! It's illegal  :D Just wonder why?
Simple - WHY THEY ARE ILLEGAL? If so, tomorrow homemade pies will be illegal, because "not approved" by someone  :D OMG, what i'm reading here  ??? I knew lots of older people in different countries, who used soapy water of tobacco powder or chilli oil. Proof me wrong. I am not encouraging people to build own chemical lab to make something.
Anyway... a bit disappointed...  :blush:

Swing Swang

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 23:21 »
Vit -  this whole issue annoys me as much as it does you - but I don't think it appropriate for me to be drawn further on the 'homebrew' front considering this site's understandable approach to nanny-state-laws.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 23:29 »
No problem. This is the last post in this thread and i am kindly asking moderators to DELETE thread.
Thanks in advance

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 23:37 »
This thread was started 4 years ago by another forum member, and contains some useful information on it, so won't be deleted I'm afraid Vit.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 07:41 »
no wanting to cause further debate because i totally understand why we are not discussing/encouraging home  made pestisides but i just have one question,

why is it then ok for us to discuss the use of home made fertilisers such as comfrey tea, nettle tea etc?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 09:01 »
Simply because they are used as fertilisers and are legal.......home-made pesticides  are not.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 10:24 »
What's the score on food-based home-made deterrents (as opposed to pesticides), eg someone mentioned crushing a garlic clove in some water a few days ago?

Is discussion of that sort of thing also frowned upon?

Salmo

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37 »
Simply because they are used as fertilisers and are legal.......home-made pesticides  are not.

So if I think that the effect of rhubarb brew, soapy water, garlic or milk is as a plant stimulant that helps plants to fight off pests and diseases I can use them. What a load of old rubbish.

The important phrase is "It is illegal to use pesticides for unapproved purposes". Anything that is on the label of bought pesticides is legal. If not on the label it is illigal. Always read labels in detail and keep to suggested dilution rates, safety precautions, harvest intervals etc.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 11:07 »

So if I think that the effect of rhubarb brew, soapy water, garlic or milk is as a plant stimulant that helps plants to fight off pests and diseases I can use them. What a load of old rubbish.

The important phrase is "It is illegal to use pesticides for unapproved purposes". Anything that is on the label of bought pesticides is legal. If not on the label it is illigal. Always read labels in detail and keep to suggested dilution rates, safety precautions, harvest intervals etc.
Are you trying to say that my response to the question
why is it then ok for us to discuss the use of home made fertilisers such as comfrey tea, nettle tea etc?
was incorrect Salmo?
Comfrey and nettle tea are still legal to use :)

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 11:36 »
I've got an allotment book written by Kevin Forbes called Allotment Gardening. He is an RHS qualified gardener from East Sussex, and has a section in the book about dealing with pest & diseases. In this area of the book he uses the practice of using scents to repel pests. Garlic, tobacco, Rhubard and other strong smelling substances. He recommends Fish-based fertilisers to feed crops which will also drive away pests. He then leaves a recipe for a homemade organic pesticide consisting of all food products (I won't list them incase I get into trouble)
The reason I have posted on this is because I was wondering why he has been able to advice in this way in a published book if it is illegal. Surely RHS qualified gardeners should know better?
He goes on to saying for more in depth information on Organic pest and disease control refer to his other book in the series Organic Gardening  :unsure:

xx
organic pest control

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 16:32
by peterjf
xx
pest control

Started by deano123 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 20:38
by Ice
xx
pest control

Started by ESSEX GRAY on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 14:58
by mumofstig
clip
pest control described

Started by shedmeister on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 21:09
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 39 queries.