Chickens & Fireworks

• 14 Replies

LadyPluck

Chickens & Fireworks
« on: October 14, 2009, 19:40 »
I've noticed that from tomorrow (15th Oct) our local supermarket will begin selling fireworks, which has prompted the question of how your chickens cope with them. I don't mean just with the night-time displays, but also the impromptu daytime shenanegans of kids checking that fireworks...work.  ::)

karlooben

Re: Chickens & Fireworks
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 20:23 »
i was worried about this last year and i had some very large industrail tpye ones being let of within a mile or less from my girls an they were fine , at night time you can cover the house over with carpet or something esle { depending how big the house is } i cant remember what :lol: to give them a little bit more protection from the loud bangs but they should cope with it all really well.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

janet12000

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 20:49 »
Oh I so hate fireworks.  :ohmy:
I am not looking forward to firework season.  :(

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 20:53 »
am with u on that janet , i have almost 2 months worth of stressing out over my dog who cant cope with them as well as worry about the chickens .

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 20:58 »
i do to hate fireworks, i dont look forward to this time of the year, i always have my fingers x that we can pull my little jack russle x through another firework hell (she hates them to a point that she always look likes she's having a hart attack when they go off) she is now 9yrs old... so fingers
zoe pattinson :)

janet12000

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 21:20 »
This is my first year of fireworks and chickens. I will try and protect them  :)
As for the cats and dog (and the child :))
They all hate fireworks.

We all sleep in my bed on fireworks night.  :)

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:14 »
my jack russell is 12 or older {rescue dog so i cant tell a direct age of him ,} he even sits on my lap when i am in the toilet hes that scared unless i manage to shut the door quick enough before he can get in there .

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:28 »
I think chickenlady put a camera inside her coop last year just to keep an eye on her girls when the fireworks went off and they were fine. All stayed fast asleep.  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:15 »
The chucks will not get to upset about fire works. If they where out then that would be a different matter.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 17:05 »
They take no notice, my first year I was outside checking on them as the big industrial fireworks where being let off near by, all stayed fast asleep.  :D

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 17:54 »
I've had idiots here setting them off the past few weeks, including in the daytime. The chickens couldn't care less about them, but the ducks get excitable and quack away at me when the go off. I'm lucky that my cats dont react badly to them, but also unlucky as one cat LOVES them, she rushes outside and watches them - very bizarre behaviour which worries me incase she wanders towards displays and bonfires  ::)  :unsure: I'm thinking about bringing the ducks and their house onto the patio next week for winter and so they'll be closer to me and I'll be able to hear them when they get excitable with them.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 21:39 »
Caralou - you are not alone in having bizarre cats.  When I sold my first little house and moved home to Mum & Dad's (first little house was in Wembley in NW London and became too scary), my cats used to sit on their back doorstep all through the firework season watching the rockets go up.  They loved it.  You could watch their little faces follow the pretty lights across the sky...

Cats are wonderfully bonkers sometimes!

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 00:25 »
My little tabby loves the chooks! When I throw out scraps she's there in the middle in case she's missing something and when I clean the coop she has to check it over and test the nest boxes for comfort. Then the girls have to do the same!! They even run up and down the garden together and I'm sure they must communicate somehow! Mad, mad, mad! :wacko:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:48 »
Caralou - you are not alone in having bizarre cats.  When I sold my first little house and moved home to Mum & Dad's (first little house was in Wembley in NW London and became too scary), my cats used to sit on their back doorstep all through the firework season watching the rockets go up.  They loved it.  You could watch their little faces follow the pretty lights across the sky...

Cats are wonderfully bonkers sometimes!

That's exactly what she does! I'm glad I'm not the only one with bonkers animals  ::) :lol:

janet12000

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 19:52 »
The fireworks started tonight.  >:(
I was out in the garden  this afternoon setting up a new pool for the ducks.
Bea (dog) was out helping me and as soon as she heard the first bang she went berserk.
She has been hiding under my bed ever since.  :(
The chooks and ducks had a bit of a flappy moment and ran into the coop, but seemed not to be too bothered.  :)

I hate fireworks.  >:(

xx
Chickens and fireworks

Started by maggiemc on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 20:16
by Floss16
xx
Fireworks!

Started by pheobe1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 10:41
by pheobe1
xx
fireworks

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 12:23
by AmandaH
xx
Fireworks...

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 14:27
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 30 queries.