Will she ever lay????????

• 4 Replies

Angus

• Skyechi
Will she ever lay????????
« on: October 14, 2009, 18:36 »
Just thought I would ask this question.  One of our hens the oldest and largest bye the way has laid a couple of eggs back in July shortly after arriving here.  The eggs was small and after she layed a sausage shaped shell'less one.  Since then she has never laid since.  All our others are laying except the two yongest girls. Who are thinking about it now especialy Daisy the Leghorn.    When we got Margery the Sussex

along with her four sisters/companions she was just growing her comb and wattles, the other four had none at the time.  After a while the others matured and started to lay their wind eggs which are now getting bigger one girl is laying full sized eggs now.    We collected the girls on July 10th 2009.  Since the end of July Marg has not layed since.  Our oldest girls have all been laying since August.

Our girls are fed on layers pellets from a feeder, corn only as a treat now and then.  They have been wormed and have no mites and are not  moulty either. Also they cannot lay their eggs anywhere where we would not find them.   Marg is the top dog she is very greedy and the largest girl we have.   Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 18:38 by Angus »

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Will she ever lay????????
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 19:18 »
hello Angus! ive got 4 that have been pol since i got them in july and not so much as a look into the nest box from any of them (NO - they are not boys  :D) -infact one of them has been squatting for 3 weeks which is meant to be a sign that an egg will be arriving any day - some chance of that! i wonder of your hen will start to lay properly in the spring as they are all slowing down now and moulting? - at least you know she can do it - good luck!

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 20:12 »
your right Lucy she spends too much time eating or being bossy with everyone else to lay an egg.  Yours sound like they are in the same club as Margery then :ohmy:

wilson5

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 21:46 »
I started with two light sussex and two ancona/maran in july after having three boys out of the four, my only girl out of the lot looks lovely nice red comb but the only thing in the nesting box is poo!  Have swapped time  and again with friends hoping that the next are girls.  Whent to a local chook supplier so that at least I got a girl.  Sat today looking at the stunning boy with all his tail feathers who is quite tame thinking that it will be sad to see him go.  So as with you will be soooo glad to get an egg.
Best of luck think we all might have a fight in this house over first egg

What has made it worse is that a friend that got her hens later than me rang the other day to tell me that she had an egg :mad:

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 22:21 »
oh well it could have been worse wilson - your friend could have had an egg from one of the ones you swapped :D - my sister wants my araucana & i am tempted to let her go, but i just know that if i do she will lay an egg the next day and it will be bright blue too!  :D

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 36 queries.