turkey dispatch

• 21 Replies

Gareth J

Re: turkey dispatch
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38 »
well said Annie
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 12:41 »
completely agree Grannie, our pigs and turkeys all have, (had) names but we still ate them. 
I do find it a bit hippocritical when people eat meat but think I am cruel for eating meat I have reared myself.  I think we are responsible for every bit of meat we put in our mouths.  If people continue to eat pork products from abroad where the welfare standards are way below what is allowed in the UK then they are paying for the practice to continue.  Same thing with chicken.
Our animals have the best possible welfare standards.  I would MUCH rather eat them than some poor overcrowded animal, fed till it can hardly move and has never seen the light of day, never mind being allowed to forage and enjoy normal natural behavior.

I'll give the soap box back now!
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 13:14 »
Thanks Sam!  Most of our children think we are nuts, but they still eat the chicken or turkey if you give them one!  But oh horrors if we dare talk about the subject!  "Oh I don't want to see what I eat"  is one of the remarks we've had.  And I certainly don't want to see it running around your garden!

My nici was the classic, (sorry Nici if you are reading this!!)  The first turkey we gave her....  It will be dead won't it Mum?    Yes dear
It will be plucked won't it Mum?   Yes dear
It will be gutted won't it Mum?   Yes dear
Can you put in on a blue tray, wrapped in plastic and frozen?    Why dear?
So I can pretend I got it from the supermarket and it wasn't one of those lovely little turkeys I saw running around your garden!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

poppies

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 13:42 »
We get this from my parents  and sister wont eat our meat but will buy a piece of tasteless white pork from the supermarket, we raise our own chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese and pigs with no problems eating them, but when the lamb was brought home ready for the freezer I felt a bit odd about it.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 14:14 »
I am too much of a wuss to rear my own, do wish i were braver, but i'm not. I wouldn't be able to seperate the pet thing from food :(
    I do think its great that others do it though and give it a great life beforehand, i'd even buy it-i'd prefer to. All animals no matter what they be deserve a good life,its our responability. :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

madcat

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 18:11 »
I know it has had as good a life as I can give it. fresh air, plenty of good food etc, it has been talked to, sung to, and when it's time comes, it is killed with as little stress as possible, and humanely done.

If I sing to anything, they object, loudly and at length!   :D  You must be more tuneful than me ..... :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 22:42 »
I'm not really Madcat!  I didn't say they liked it!!!!   :D  But when I hit the higher notes, the turkeys are just beginning to gobble at me!!!!   :D

xx
Dispatch or Not?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 09:47
by Casey76
xx
Dispatch and Dress Course

Started by gsc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:14
by Tazzy
xx
Humane dispatch of ducks.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 14:46
by joyfull
xx
Someone to dispatch our geese in North Somerset

Started by Squibbs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 22:43
by Squibbs

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 36 queries.