Information re: Hatching Eggs

• 11 Replies

Alison_T

Information re: Hatching Eggs
« on: October 12, 2009, 19:43 »
I currently keep around 15 female birds and none are broody as yet, nor are they the breeds that have the good potential.

I am considering investing in some equipment for 'hatching eggs'. I read Practical Poultry each month and try to glean as much info as possible, but there is nothing like first-hand experience to set you on the right road.

I went onto eBay to scout out incubators and the price range was amazing - from £40 to £250. Then I read that a brood box was required, then I read about 'electric hens' and 'heat lamps'! What a minefield.

As basic, and normal requirements, what would you breeders recommend that I purchase, read, and how much should I expect to spend?

Any responses are very gratefully received.

Alison

Vember

Re: Information re: Hatching Eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 19:53 »
For the first time hatching anything I personally recommend you do it with a broody :)

Hatching at this time of year can be hard work as the babies will need heat for longer and wont be able to outside as soon :(

A good book to look through is Katie Thears guide to incubation and rearing :)

Sarah :D

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 22:42 »
Hello
I have recently reared my first lot of chicks, I didn't hatch them though, got them at a day or 2 old, cut out the need for incubation to speed up the process and cost less.
All I needed was a heat lamp, I used the ceramic type but have since learned that the electric hen is far kinder on the leccy bill!
I used 2 large cardboard boxes joined together, one under the heat, one not so that the chicks could run back and to, getting used to lower temperatures (its in the book already mentioned).
Jo

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:25 »
For your first time hatching I 'd leave it until late Feb or early March to hatch which means starting incubation end of the first week in Feb or later.

If your hens don't go broody, and many hybrids don't as well as some pure breeds, you will need to incubate.  Brinsea Octagon incubators are very good I've had lots of success using these.  R Com also have a good name and are fully automatic including humidity control. Neither is cheap and the model will depend on the number of eggs you want to hatch but I'd say not to get the 3 egg R com which is really a demo type incubator for schools rather than a hobbist.  I'd definitely steer clear of second hand equipment as hygeine is essential and you can never tell how much use they've had and they still seem to command high prices.  It's not worth the risk unless you have seen it and trust the seller.

Don't be tempted to cut cost by dispensing with automatic turning.  You can turn by hand but unless you are very disiplined you are sure to forget one day and that could be the end of that batch.  There's no need to have expensive humidity control for chx and the Brinsea crude humidifier seems to be Ok.

Once your chx have hatched you will need a brooder with a source of heat which you will need to reduce steadily over the next few weeks to harden them off for outside conditions.  I made my brooder using some scrap white melamine fitted wardrobe doors in the form of an octagon.  You need to make 16 wood triangular fillets with an angle of 135deg.  You need to predrill the wall sections identically to fix the fillets using 2 screws in each corner of the wall panels so you can break it down and re-errect it without worrying about which fillet fits in which corner all parts shoul be interchangable.  You can buy cheap slot together brooders or use card board boxes but remember it's going to have to house them for 5 to 6 weeks and it needs to be in a protected outhouse where they will be safe from, predators such as birds, cats and rats etc.  15inch sides are a reasonable wall height but you will need to cover with a net or mesh panel as they become quite active at around 3 - 4 weeks.  You can use an electric hen or an infra red lamp, which I use.  Preferably one which emits little visible light.  The size of your brooder and heat source will depend on the number of chicks you want to raise.  They need enough room to allow them to move away from the heat source to regulate their temperature.

You will need to feed them on chick crumbs (I recommend medicated for cocci) initially and ween them on to growers by 6 weeks and layers by 16 - 18 weeks.  Read your Katie Thear.  It's not too difficult to be very successful and have good yields but remember there will be cocks as well as hens and you need to decide whether you will cull excess

Once hatched you don't need much room but once they get a little older I think it's best to allow more space than a cardboard or plastic box as they may be too cramped and develop boredom behavioural habits.

Aim to have them outside at 5 -6 weeks.
Truth through science.

Alison_T

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:15 »
Thank you to all of you for this information - there's certainly a lot more to it than I initially realised. And you all recommend Katie Thear, so that is a book I shall purchase ASAP.

I really am most grateful to you all for taking the time to respond!

Alison

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:52 »
Our brooders are made out of sheets of hardboard, screwed together into an oval shape so there are no corners for the chicks to crowd into and suffocate, but in an emergency I did make one out of big cardboard box sides stapled together in a rough oval which actually lasted the chicks 5 weeks before they managed to destroy the cardboard completely!!!!  :D

Then I've got the smaller ones made out of those big plastic storage boxes with a mesh top, and an old double kitchen wall cupboard, which was an idea I filched from Foxy I think it was, which Brian put legs on and made a nice grill for the top so they can't get out.
photo attached, but at the time it didn't have rounded off corners!!

If you are thinking of rearing only a few chicks at a time, I also use on the small brooders, just a 40 or 60w red bulb and the shade was £5 from Wilko's (thanks Chickenlady for that idea!)  It certainly kept up to 12 chicks warm in the storage boxes until they had space in the big brooder.

DSCF0012 (4).JPG

chuckie.egg

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 13:12 »
We bought a Brinsea mini advance from ebay for £90.  It holds 7 hen eggs, and is automatic, so you dont have to 'turn' the eggs manually.

After they hatched, we transferred them to our 'brooder' which was a large rabbit/gunnea pig indoor cage and we attached a home made heat lamp (as AnnieGrannie mentions above).

We kept the chicks in our house, and they were fine.

Alison_T

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 13:27 »
Excellent advice from both of you. I am tempted by the incubators which automatically turn the eggs - and I didn't realise that there shouldn't be corners in the brood box due to suffocation - although that makes total sense now that I think about it. But it doesn't have to be too expensive a business, does it?

Thanks!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 14:24 »
It's amazing what you can do on very little Alison, as you will see the more you read on here! lol  There are some truly inspired people on these forums!!    :D :D

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 17:56 »
Just noticed you said you have 15 hens so the first piece of equipment you will need is a cock who needs to be at least 25weeks old!  If he chases the hens about when let out in the morning he's probably got the right idea.

If you don't want to breed from your hens (I'm not sure if they are hybrids or pure breeds?) you can buy hatching eggs which should preferably not be more than 4 -8 days old and kept well since lay (ie at approx 15deg C and turned each day) the fresher the better.  Buy from a reputable breeder whose stock you can inspect for general good health. If they don't look active and alert and have clean noses and bums don't buy the eggs.  Also I'd advise not to use ebay unless you have a recommendation (not the seller feedback which just tells you about delivery usually).  There are many diseases which can be passed through hatching eggs and some which don't show (ie have long incubation periods) for 20 weeks or more.  So good feedback which is only a few days or weeks old might be misleading.

Eliminating corners in a brooder is very important if you are rearing dozens but usually if you are only brooding 10 or less the chances of suffocation are slim but obviously this is something you will need to assess for yourself.  Another danger is drownding when very young so make sure your drinker is safe.   Some people use marbles in a shallow dish but this has the disadvantage of being easy to foul.  You need to keep raising their feeders and drinkers as they get bigger so they are above their vents to reduce the risk of being fouled.  As they get bigger their drinkers and feeders need to be very stable as they can easily knock them over if they climb on them.  Best to get properly designed ones at the start that will see them through the first 5 weeks rather than improvise with coffee jar lids etc which will only last a few days before being too flimsy and easily tipped up.  

As the chicks get larger they will need to be given room to move around and things to clamber about on and explore so they don't become bored.
Best of Luck
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 00:15 by hillfooter »

Alison_T

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06 »
Thanks for the advice, hillfooter. To be honest, I don't think I would be very popular if I got a cockerel and indeed, I think there would be a lot of complaining neighbours!

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 20:28 »
You will have cockerels if you hatch eggs and you will more than likely have to dispatch them as no one will want them. I hatched my first this year using a cheap £30 incy turned eggs first thing in am, 6PM and just b4 going bed and enjoyed the process results 11 out of 12 hatched last one pipped but failed (my fault removed lid causing loss in humidity) total cost less than £50. BTW 6 cocks 5 hens, 5dinners 1 alarm clock set at 6.30 am

xx
Hatching eggs, anyone?

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:23
by MontyTom
xx
hatching eggs

Started by dianemk73 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 18:34
by dianemk73
xx
hatching eggs

Started by clucking mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 12:34
by Casey76
xx
Eggs hatching?

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2013, 12:47
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 27 queries.