sick birds

• 7 Replies

funny farm

sick birds
« on: October 12, 2009, 16:25 »
Can anyone help my flock of 19 chickens have been diaognosed by the vet as having gape worm, we gave them the medication of Panacue then they started looking really puffey around there eyes, so back to the vet, he then diagnosed them with  ILT, we have done all the worming so it is not that and given them Baitrill they seemed to have picked up, now some of the good ones are now showing signs of the puffiness around the eyes, what I am tryiin to say is the first ones have seemed to have gotten over it now it is the next wave, but still not sure what it is, as is the vet he thinks it is ILT but last week it was worms but he is a very nice vet after a £200 bill but we love our chucks and would be devistated if we lost any of them, it has effected 2 orpinton hens 1 blue maran hen our orpinton cock now the mother of our chicks which have been sererated from the flock for 2 months or more,has anyone come accross this before with these sort of systems yes they did have the gasping and coughing shaking there heads mucky beaks  but that has all gone, and of course none of them are laying  and feel a bit on the light side what to do any one any suggestions as any helpwill do.
thanks,
Marcia( funny farm.)

poultrygeist

Re: sick birds
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 16:36 »
Hi Marcia. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Could you explain what ILT is please ?
I have to admit I dont know  :blush:

Is there any discharge from teh eyes or nostrils ?

Rob 8)

Vember

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 17:00 »
Hi Marcia

As far as I know Infectious Laryngotrach is a viral infection, symptoms would include coughing, which will be why the vet suggested Gape to begin with also gapining, blo0dy poops and drop in egg production.

It can start with similar symptoms to mycop with the discharge PG mentions :)

Once they have had this type of virus they usually build up antibodies so that they are protected from future infection :)
Which may answer why not all of your hens are ill, some may have built up resistance having had it before :)

If they haven't all had anti botics then I would suggest you get them all on them :)

Sarah :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 17:05 »
just googled it and there is a lot on Canadian agricultural websites and also this from Trinidad
http://www.carec.org/data/alerts/040301_infectious_laryngotracheitis.html
Hope this is of help.
Staffies are softer than you think.

funny farm

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 17:39 »
Hi Sarah,

we have had the girgles etc but no blooming poops will are chucks die of this, and our mother hen has just come up with puffiness nil else today, and we have given her some Batril will they get better and will they lay again,
best wishes and thanks again,
Marcia

Vember

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 17:45 »
I'm not going to tell you you'll loose non because you just don't know :( But if treated with the antibiotics and if they are eating and drinking ok they should be fine :)

It may effect quality of eggs, you may find one or two more soft shelled than normal, but I would hope it would only be the odd one :)

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 21:40 »
How are you giving the Baytril? Are you treating all 19?
Agree that it sounds like an upper respiratory inf and not ILT. Maybe myco or even Infectious Coryza. Tylan is a good antibiotic particulary for resp infection and easy to administer in the drinking water, all your flock should be treated as most resp diseases are very infectious.
If there is heavy mucous developing add 50ml apple cider vinegar to their water this will help reduce the discharge.
Change bedding and make sure their coop is dry but well ventilated.
Hope this helps and good luck with your hens :)

funny farm

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:30 »
The really poorly looking birds giving batril  syringing direct also putting Bartil in there drinking water, doing all we can at present and keeping our fingers ccrossed thanks for your help.
Marcia.

xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
Sick hen

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 22:45
by ANHBUC
xx
sick hen

Started by dreghorns on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:37
by dreghorns
xx
Sick hen

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 18:41
by North Devon Dumpling

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 38 queries.