Indoor cucumbers

• 10 Replies

purplebean

Indoor cucumbers
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:10 »
I have never grown indoor cucumbers before but hopefully will have the greenhouse that is in pieces in my garage up and ready to use by next spring. I have been reading various seed catalogues and really can't decide what cucumber to try. any suggestions for easy to grow tasty indoor cues?

peterjf

Re: Indoor cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:43 »
hi there , we grow telegraph F1 , lots of fruits about 15 inches long,

once they start to produce cucs we bank our plants up with at least a bucket of compost manure mix 50/50, and water through the banked material

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43 »
hi there , we grow telegraph F1 , lots of fruits about 15 inches long,

once they start to produce cucs we bank our plants up with at least a bucket of compost manure mix 50/50, and water through the banked material

They are good.......we still have loads on fruit on ours! :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 17:00 »
Do the Telegraph ones have to have the male flowers taken off?

I grew an all female variety Tiffany this year, and it cropped well but I have a pkt of Telegraph seeds, if they are problem free I'll use them next year :D

Sorry if this is a bit off topic :blush:

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 19:00 »
Do the Telegraph ones have to have the male flowers taken off?

I grew an all female variety Tiffany this year, and it cropped well but I have a pkt of Telegraph seeds, if they are problem free I'll use them next year :D

Sorry if this is a bit off topic :blush:

No idea Lesley......I just let mine get on with it! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 19:07 »
oh goodie...I'll just do the same then :)

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 20:14 »
Hi, Telegraph are not an all female type so you have to take the male flowers off or the cucs get a bit bitter. A good cuc tho i won the section at our local show with a pair of them!!

agapanthus

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 00:34 »
Hi, Telegraph are not an all female type so you have to take the male flowers off or the cucs get a bit bitter. A good cuc tho i won the section at our local show with a pair of them!!
Hav'nt had any bitter ones thus far ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 21:32 »
My Cucumber 101 :

Sow early (February if you can keep them at at least  10C at night; a windowsill will do)

They hate having their stems wet - Cucumber is the one plant that I do NOT plunge up to the seed leaves when I pot it on)

Grow some extras in case the plants succumb :( (As folk on this forum say "Cucumbers wake up each morning and think of a new way to die :( )

Do not plant out in the greenhouse too early (i.e. wait until the minimum temperatures will be warm enough :) )

Grow an F1 "All Female" variety - which means that you don't have to worry about removing male flowers

Note that occasionally male flower may still form - e.g. if the plant is stressed.  remove any you see (but, TBH, I've never found it a problem to actually worry about).

Remove the first 3 fruit that set (if you let these set they have a tendency to cause the plant to "stall".  You'll get early Cucumbers, but the plant then won't produce anything for 2 or 3 weeks :( )

Keep the stems away from wet.  Typically the plants are planted into a "mound" that causes any water to flow away from the stem. Either way, be careful when watering to prevent getting the stem wet.

When potting on (before planting out, or up to the final potting-on), be careful how you hold the plant.  Don't hold by the leaves, and be very gentle! with the plant.

We grow 3 plants (to maturity - we grow more seedlings more than that, just-in-case :). This is on the assumption that one may die, leaving us with tow producing-plants;  I reckon that's enough for your "average family". Three plants means giving several away :)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 22:29 »
I grew cu's in the greenhouse this year for the first time (sortof, see below) - as I was a bit late getting started I bought in from a local nursery a couple of plants - no idea what they where as just labeled "female". Very prolific and lovely tasting. I also grew a few Burpless Tasty Green from seed, although I was a bit late I still had a decent crop.  I tried growing cu's last year but failed abysmally, over watered and killed them off after getting them off to a good start....  but i didnt let that put me off...
Death OR Cake ???

peterjf

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 23:10 »
only had male flowers this year , so yes the have to be removed

xx
Indoor toms not come up

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 13:29
by hubballi
xx
indoor or outdoor

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 22:52
by daveypark
xx
Indoor growing.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 20:40
by Riala
xx
Indoor Sowing?

Started by BigSky on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 12:08
by Rob the rake

Page created in 1.201 seconds with 32 queries.