CHILLI advice

• 31 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Re: CHILLI advice
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 13:10 »
Peppers like to be neglected a bit.  If you fertilise at all, do it a week or so after they are established in your bed.  They won't bother setting many flowers if the living is fine.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

nickthegreek

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 19:17 »
the scotch bonnets I got from a hydroponic shop when I went into get some chilli focus thats feed for them and got talking to the guy in the shop and he gave me the scotch bonnet and the naga already growing so I was lucky germinted the rest myself in  these seed things from the hydroponic shop think they are called choir something they expand when you water them !

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 20:03 »
I am dedicating a 3 ft wide BED by 3ft deep and 3 meters long just for the growing of chillis. I have 4 of these beds, all with different types of soils. Could someone pleace advice as to when to strat seedling off, best position, type of soil and prep ect.
Don't mean to be antagonistic, but why do folk grow so many Chillies?

I grow half a dozen plants in pots; I get enough harvest for 1 meal x 365 days - which is plenty enough for me. What do folk who grow so many chilli plants plant to do with them?

savbo

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 20:20 »
. What do folk who grow so many chilli plants plant to do with them?

It's a secret you are only allowed to know when you join the chilli club, but it involves a bath, a grater and swimming goggles...

:)

M

8doubles

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 20:30 »
I am dedicating a 3 ft wide BED by 3ft deep and 3 meters long just for the growing of chillis. I have 4 of these beds, all with different types of soils. Could someone pleace advice as to when to strat seedling off, best position, type of soil and prep ect.
Don't mean to be antagonistic, but why do folk grow so many Chillies?

I grow half a dozen plants in pots; I get enough harvest for 1 meal x 365 days - which is plenty enough for me. What do folk who grow so many chilli plants plant to do with them?

I only plant chillies every other year, grow 6 and overwinter one plant which with all the previously dried chillies keep us supplied for the next year.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 10:54 »

It's a secret you are only allowed to know when you join the chilli club, but it involves a bath, a grater and swimming goggles...

:)

M
[/quote]

Can I join?  I've got my own rubber duck! :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

power_of_p3

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:38 »
Hey guys,

Just thought I would drop I few pictures to show you what mine are doing after a few a days and then after over a week.

Here's the ones from a few days without water:

you can just see the red tips starting to coem in

these are my long sweet pointed ramiro peppers, that I grew from seed from the ones you buy to eat at the supermarket, they taste beautiful specially slightly cooked :tongue2:

And these are after a wekk or so without any water.

And these are some that I cut off and hung up to dry, (maybe ripen?) just eh other day

So anyway, enjoy and I hope everyone elses is coming along just as good as mine, cause they are quite a lot mroe red than in the photos :D

BB ~~jo~~

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 15:16 »
thanks for the help for those who managed to understand the question!!!

The beds are uncovered, they make the outline of my patio so basically go round the edges of patio.
I have various soils in these beds and the and the answeres i was looking for is do i cover the beds overwinter?
And what soil prep is needed.

Thanks
mickeyboy

ps i am disabled so please take that into account when reading and replying to posts ie yorkie
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 17:49 »
If your disability means that the forum is not as accessible as you would like mickeyboy, then I apologise if you have been upset.

However you did post two incomprehensible polls in quick succession and we are not mindreaders about accessibility issues.

I'm sure now you've raised the issue we can all be more careful about how we post.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 17:53 »
I've removed the poll as yorkie sait it made no sense.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 18:28 »
People can only take disability into account if they are aware of it, Mickeyboy.

I've made all sorts of mistakes trying to get the hang of forums both back when I first started and since I became a mod. Making digs at those trying to help is never productive.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 13:07 »
People can only take disability into account if they are aware of it, Mickeyboy.

I've made all sorts of mistakes trying to get the hang of forums both back when I first started and since I became a mod. Making digs at those trying to help is never productive.

Sorry totally my fault i should have advertised the fact.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 21:22 »
Hey mickey,

Like agapanthus said, is it undercover?  You can have chili plants in the open in this country but I haven't seen any real success with them.  I have mine in the greenhouse, so I get pretty good results.  After many telling me I was sowing my seed too early I went ahead and did it anyway in January last year, same with my tomatoes, and I have had amazing results out of those early plants and certainly more crop than the ones I put in a month or two later, although the chilis and peppers that I put in later and now still fruiting. 

Best thing I find is to find out when general planting times are and then just try a few different times, keep yourself a good diary and mark down which when they were sown, which germinated quickest, were the stronger plants and gave you the best and most in crop, and when the first and last harvest on them was.  That way you can make your own planting dates based on your weather and environment.  I usually sow them in batches of 3-5 to allow for the one or two that may not germinate.

BB ~~jo~~

Thanks for the advise it is very helpful, i will be growing outdoors and i think the rule of thumb is the hotter the type the earlier you sow.
Went into my hydroponic shop and it only stocks supplies for cannibas!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 21:29 »
Try looking up hydroponics on the net....I dread to think if the police ever hacked into my account!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

8doubles

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 21:51 »
Try looking up hydroponics on the net....I dread to think if the police ever hacked into my account!

:) :) :) I once looked for some Technical  Drawing plans online and ended up with `How to build a cruise missile in your garage`.

I reckon that one could set some alarm bells ringing. :)

xx
Chilli advice

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 23:54
by kermit
xx
Chilli Problem - advice please

Started by blue_cortina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 08:12
by blue_cortina
xx
Advice on my chilli plants

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 11:32
by rich24uk
xx
Chilli overwintering advice

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 18:13
by barbarella

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 29 queries.