Machete

• 39 Replies

poultrygeist

Re: Machete
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 17:09 »
That looks a bit safer. But don't know if it would have the weight to hack more than one leaf at a time. Cheers Noshed. :)
I'm more likely to find one locally to try in my hand.

Rob 8)

noshed

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 16:13 »
I was asking the guy in the Shop With Loads of Plastic Boxes and Other Useful Things Outside if he stocked bill hooks the other day. He produced a huge machete from behind the counter. Crocodile Dundee would have been impressed. It looked as if it ought to be illegal, but it would do your tree for you I'm sure.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

madcat

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 17:04 »
Since we are going on about sharp blades - what is the legal situation with taking them to the allotment? 

I walk down a public highway (actually a small lane but the principle stands) with a cropping knive in my pocket, which is a very sharp 3" clasp knive, to get to the allotments.  Am I carrying an offensive weapon at that point?  How about on the plot, which is owned by the council?  Is it an offensive weapon to have on public land?

How about the bill-hook or the sickle?  All razor sharp.  As are the secatures and the shears?  Where does carrying an offensive weapon start?  Anyone know?
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 17:13 »
Noshed - do you charge for delivery ?  :D

Don't know about the legal situation. I know you could carry sharp tools for a specific purpose but no idea if that's been changed or if there's a max blade length, etc.

I would guess you'd have to have them in a tool bag or similar.

Rob 8)

RichardA

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 18:51 »
you would have to show lawful excuse.
You could carry a war axe into a public park and swing it around provided you were part of a properly formed and scheduled enactment display group say at a village fete but a small knife in your pocket on the bus for no reason could get you prosecuted.
If you carry a bladed article legitimately such as a gardening knife whilst at work  and forget to put it back in the shed and get on the bus to go home you could be found guilty but temporary inadvertent carrying shortly after the legitimate use ended would be grounds for mitigation and a lower penalty.
If the bladed article is secure and cannot readily be used such as wrapped up in a tool bag then lawful excuse is easier to plead than if tucked in your belt etc.
R

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 18:53 »
War axe it is then  !! :lol:

RichardA

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 18:58 »
the war axe example is taken from a training exercise for magistrates. However the case study goes on and takes a different turn when the re enactment guy who knows his rights meets a young police officer who does not and who tries to confiscate it but drops it on his toe and gets injured.
Interesting dilemma
R

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 21:45 »
Find some Gurkha's and get them to get their khukri's out - my Dad bought one back from Nepal - awesome for chopping up pretty much everything, lol.

noshed

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 23:40 »
I did wonder a couple of times, strolling down to the allotment with a big knife in my pocket and the place covered with police. But they didn't take any notice of me.

davethespread

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27 »
i wonder if you could get away with carrying a samurai sword if you said it was for cutting cabbages :wub:
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 08:29 »
i wonder if you could get away with carrying a samurai sword if you said it was for cutting cabbages :wub:

Thats no way to talk about the local youths!

davethespread

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swing Swang

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 10:17 »
I love my machete. Kukri good too. Bill hook also wonderful.

Be careful, be safe behave (to mis-quote Tharg)

SS

Ropster

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 21:29 »
looking for a tool for this job and came across this site, some usefull looking impliments on this page

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/hooks.htm

8doubles

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 09:34 »
He must have a BIGGGgggg shed ,

If i had the money i`d have a aircraft hanger full. :D :D

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 28 queries.