Machete

• 39 Replies

poultrygeist

Machete
« on: October 07, 2009, 15:06 »
While we're talking sharp and dangerous implements, can I ask advice about machetes please ?

We have a HUGE phormium in the back garden that badly needs taming and unless I cut each leaf with hand shears, nothing will touch it. I was thinking a machete may be the correct tool for the job but know very little about them other than Ray Mears can make a 3 piece suite from a Birch twig using one.

Budget up to about £20 maybe but it would need to be damn good. WOuld I also need a sharpening stone ?

Thank you

Rob 8)

RichardA

Re: Machete
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 15:28 »
very dangerous tool in unskilled hands - surely an electric hedge trimmer/cutter would do the job??????. Can you borrow one.
R

davethespread

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 15:30 »
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 15:31 »
Got a leccy hedge trimmer. Sadly no  :(

Each leaf breaks down into fibres (flax) and clogs anything that comes near. It needs a sharp blade to cut it, either in a scissor action or slashing. I'm quite a safe sort of person with tools but respect what you're saying.
For the same reasoning, I would be wary about a chainsaw.

Rob 8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 15:34 »
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 15:38 »
scary when you read about it.  :unsure:

I still can't think of a better tool for it though.

Rob 8)

madcat

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 15:40 »
I had to look up phormium but when I realised it was New Zealand flax...  got the problem!  No, a hedge trimmer will just jam up and I suspect a chain saw wouldnt like it.  Seem to remember when we had to do one, a very sharp billhook was used.  The curved blade is a bit more controlled than a machete - which would be a bit drastic, but the same principle!

Whatever blade you use, you will need a sharpening stone and to use it before and during the exercise.  The flax takes the edge off everything, and there is nothing more dangerous or tiring or frustrating than a blunt blade.  

Even if you do it with shears, you will be sharpening them at every verse end.  Flax is tough stuff!  Oh and good gloves ...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 15:44 by madcat »
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 15:44 »
The other alternative is to dig round the base and try and split off lumps but I don't fancy that option. It's about 10-12ft high and maybe 6ft across at the base. Never seen a bigger one. The leaves lying at ground level clog the mower if it catches them.

Looks like I need to do a bit more research and maybe find a local tool shop to advise.

Thanks all.

Rob 8)

madcat

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 15:48 »
Try selling to a local landscape gardener!  That is one heck of a plant you have there...  Have you seen what they cost to buy?   :blink:

RichardA

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 16:05 »
because I knew nothing about this plant (see my previous response that proves I knew nothing) I looked it up and apparently in New Zealand the:
Leaves were cut near the base of the plant using a sharp mussel shell or specially shaped rocks, more often than not greenstone (jade, or pounamu). The green fleshy substance of the leaf was stripped off, again using a mussel shell, right through to the fibre which went through several processes of washing, bleaching, fixing, softening, dyeing and drying. So now you need to get some mussel shells - simple really.
R

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 16:13 »
A slasher with a 4ft handle used double handed is a far better tool Rob. The blade is far enough away not to remove bits of YOUR anatomy and keeps the hands away from sharp cut growth. Machete`s are an accident waiting to happen , toes ,kneecaps etc.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 16:19 »
Damn ! >:(

I wanted to wear khaki shorts and a bush hat  :(

I'll try musselshells.com and slashers4u.co.uk

Maybe the 2nd one requires a careful google search first  :blink:

Rob 8)

madcat

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 16:48 »
If you were a kiwi - yeh.  You got it.  Shorts, vest, bush hat and wellies.  'Couse you also need a tan.  And skin like leather if you are gonna tackle flax dressed like that!    :D

PS no corks round hat - that is for wimpy aussies.  Or so my kiwi in-laws tell me.   :ohmy:

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 16:56 »
With legs like mine, I'd better skip the shorts too :D

noshed

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 16:57 »
I'm going to get one of these for chopping cabbage stalks and such for composting:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/newton-single-edge-bill-hook
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 37 queries.