Club Root in Caulis

• 18 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Club Root in Caulis
« on: May 06, 2007, 18:33 »
I've been told to take precautions against clubroot when planting caulis :?

I'm planting them tomorrow. What precautions can I take :?:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 18:45 »
Do you know there to be clubroot present on your plot?  It can be quite localised

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 19:00 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Do you know there to be clubroot present on your plot?  It can be quite localised

:roll: No Whisky G, I don't know.
Should I ask before worrying :?: Jim

WG.

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 19:06 »
I assumed your source of advice was pre-warning you???  Also your profile doesn't say whether being organic matters to you???

If you suspect clubroot is present, allow all brassica plants to develop large root systems before planting out.  You can also replace a smallish pocket of the soil with compost.   You can (and should anyway) whiten the planting hole with agricultural lime.

purplebat

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 19:11 »
excuse the ignorance but what exactly is clubroot? how do you know you've got it, and what effect does it have if you do?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

beansticks

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 19:18 »
You will soon know if it is in your soil,your brassicas will start to fall over for no apparent reason,however if you lift them after being attacked you will see the root system will be distorted and swollen.The problem can exist for upto 20 years.

purplebat

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 19:21 »
Quote from: "beansticks"
The problem can exist for upto 20 years.

wow!!!  :shock:  thank you beansticks

beansticks

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 19:26 »
Also as WG says it can be localised,ie it can be present in one part of your plot and not in another part.

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 19:41 »
Can I ask how large is a 'large root system', whiskey_golf?

I have been warned there is definitely club root on the next plot and as theirs and mine were a double plot in the past I'd like to take reasonable precautions.
Em x

not organic, but cutting down on the chemicals

WG.

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 19:59 »
Quote from: "emmalm"
Can I ask how large is a 'large root system', whiskey_golf?

I have been warned there is definitely club root on the next plot and as theirs and mine were a double plot in the past I'd like to take reasonable precautions.

Large enough to sustain the plant to maturity in the event that clubroot inhibits further roots from developing.  Ideally, put them into pots of 1 to 2 litres and only plant them out at the time they might be pot bound.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/dc4.php

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 20:17 »
Thank you WG, great factsheet!

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 18:37 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I assumed your source of advice was pre-warning you???  Also your profile doesn't say whether being organic matters to you???

If you suspect clubroot is present, allow all brassica plants to develop large root systems before planting out.  You can also replace a smallish pocket of the soil with compost.   You can (and should anyway) whiten the planting hole with agricultural lime.

Thanks WG. Not worried about organic). (not very good on websites and not sure how to do my profile

I have done the compost and the lime and have put little collars round their stems ..... they will go in tomorrow (if the howling wind stops) in their peat pots.
Very grateful for the advice,  :D  Jim

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 21:13 »
Apparently earthing up your brassicas a few inches up the stem with "clean" soil/compost also can help.

emmalm your looking at about a 3" or 7.5 cm pot for a decent root system.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 21:23 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
Thanks WG. Not worried about organic). (not very good on websites and not sure how to do my profile

Click here, enter details, then Submit

WG.

Club Root in Caulis
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 18:47 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
Today at the plot I told my next door plotter that I had limed the holes before planting caulis - to guard against clubroot, as advised by Whisky_Golf.
He asked if I had manured the bed and proudly I said YES.

"Oh", he said, "How long ago?"

He said you can't add lime so soon after manure ....... but he wouldn't tell me why.

Is there any truth in this? What terrible thing will happen if you mix manure and lime? :?:

I am replying on your original thread.  It would have blooming helped if you'd said you had manured the bed  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Since you are a "former biochemist" you will quickly realise that the lime (alkaline) and the manure (acidic) will precipitate a salt.  I don't know the full reaction but some of the soluble nitrogen is lost in the form of gaseous ammonia.

No real harm will have been done since you only spot-treated the planting hole.  The nitrogen loss will have been miniscule.

If you require further replies from me, please send your questions in triplicate to my lawyer.  Mandycharlie has the address following on from the "grass cuttings in potato trench" case (The Crown vs Whisky_Golf March 2007)  :wink:

xx
Cabbage root fly killed my caulis

Started by Rachelina on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 15:32
by Salmo
xx
Club root

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 11:29
by SG6
xx
Club root

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 14:14
by paintedlady
xx
club root

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 19:57
by Growster...

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 29 queries.