stopped laying ... am I panicking too soon?

• 6 Replies

bee

stopped laying ... am I panicking too soon?
« on: September 24, 2009, 18:28 »
Hi everyone

I'm still very much new to this and read all the posts avidly. Last time I posted I was clearly worrying unduly so hope it's the same this time. My two warrens only started laying in the last week of August and for three weeks or so have been laying about 10 eggs a week. But this week we got one egg on Sunday, one yesterday and none the other days. I cleaned the house out with Poultry shield and Diatom on Sunday, as I do every one to two weeks. I poo  pick every day. They are on layers pellets, some free ranging in the evening for half an hour or longer, and a handful of corn at bedtime.  I've checked them over today, attempting to feel for blocked eggs. No clue if I was doing it right but can't feel anything. They don't appear to have a full crop. Combs still red.  They are eating as well as ever and very lively and friendly. Behaviour seems as normal. They aren't moulting as far as I can see, which I assume is okay as they're only in their first summer. Bottoms look clean! Have been wormed every month with the verm-x. So, should I be checking for anything else or is this normal at this time of year?  Thanks, Bee

lightyears

Re: stopped laying ... am I panicking too soon?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 18:59 »
this has happened all over my site and to mine recently the "old boys" reckon its the time of year, if there seems to be nothing wrong with them i would tend to agree, but wait for other opinion too.

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 19:30 »
Give them a while - they are probably just having a rest - unless something else has developed a taste for eggs!  I know Roughlee had a video about a year ago of Magpies getting into the chicken house and taking the eggs!

bee

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:40 »
Thanks for the reassurance. I was at the animal feed place today and they said lots of people in the area are reporting the same thing but no one knows why. There's still light, chickens not moulting etc. It seems we just have to wait and see. Both still seem their perky selves and eating, though not as many pellets as normal. I had to buy eggs today, as we've only had two this week! Husband making numerous good-natured comments .... I do hope they lay again before January!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 18:44 »
I don't think I would worry too much but thought I would put in one little comment about verm X. It is not proven as a wormer in the sense of clearing an established infestation (it very carefully never claimes to) but can be used as a preventative measure. Most of us tend to use flubenvet which is an effective wormer.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

batcatz

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 21:55 »
I was also worried as mine stopped laying last Sat.  I also checked for mites etc.  I gave her some apple cider vinegar in the water, cut down on treats and yesterday she laid a small 38g egg.  No eggs today though. 

It might be moulting time?

Amanda

bee

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 21:57 »
Well I wondered that but as they're only about  in their first year I was told they wouldn't moult. Don't know if that's true but no sign of feather loss yet. No sign of eggs today either!

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
stopped laying

Started by browntrouty on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 21:00
by Vember
xx
stopped laying

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 23:22
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
Hen stopped laying....?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 11:18
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 28 queries.