Fighting cockerals!

• 7 Replies

danmegal

Fighting cockerals!
« on: September 22, 2009, 21:10 »
Ok, so my dilema now is that my 2 baby cockerals who are approx 10-11 weeks (I have just lost track) are fighting! They have been what I have called 'play fighting' for weeks now but today it turned nasty! They were separated during the day but due to lack of housing I put them back in with each other at bedtime which went fine, they just cuddled up together as normal! Do you think I am in for more of the same tomorrow will they continue to fight?

Roughlee Handled

Re: Fighting cockerals!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 21:25 »
Unless they have drawn blood leave them to it. (but first day you do this make sure you are there all day) When you remove them make sure they can see each other. 

I have two cocks they have 6 weeks difference in age  and on respects the other.

There are always exceptions to the rule.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

danmegal

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 21:31 »
Thanks, will see what tomorrow brings!

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 21:43 »
Agree with the little pink frog for once, they are probably testing each other, at that age they are not sexually mature so it wont be serious! :D

rossivale

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 22:01 »
Sorry to hi-jack, but what age are they mature enough to cause damage to each other, I only ask as I suspect I have 3 Cocks in among my day olds that my broody had beautifully brought up  :(

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 22:12 »
There are a few factors which affect a cockerels inclination to fight,  firstly the breed ,some are far more aggressive, game birds for example are naturally an agressive breed, not with their owners but will clash with another cockerel usually to the death of one of them.
The age and if they have been brought up together, boys that have been brooded together are quite easy-going - until girls are added!
Available space and importantly the ratio of laying hens. I have a few boys together, however as I have a "policeman" which is an older, eperienced boy who will keep the other cockerels in line.
If you have boys together without hens they might sqabble but it shouldn't be serious, and any problems can normally be sorted by adding a mature cock who quickly will assert himself and will not normally tolerate fighting. Having hens will cause them to compete against each other as well as the time of year, spring can bring problems amongst normally friendly cockerels!
Space - if they only have a small space, they will have trouble avoiding each other and will become fractious and may fight. hth :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 22:49 »
I have found with most of my cockerels if they grow up together they are fine, also if I introduce cockerels young enough the older ones will accept them, they do have a few minor fights but nothing to bad.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

danmegal

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 21:15 »
Well my boys despite having been brought up together, having loads of space and no girlies around are determined to do damage to each other, so I'm keeping them separate, although this means they are both on their own. Would popping my daddy cockerel in with his boys do any good? Or is it too late?

xx
fighting

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 16:53
by gailtearle
xx
fighting !!

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:29
by hotterotter
xx
fighting

Started by bramford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 07:24
by bramford
xx
Fighting

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 21:00
by muntjac

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 37 queries.