Chicken not well

• 35 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: Chicken not well
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 12:30 »
Hubby is back with the two birds they kept the dead one.

They have a load of birds & ducks on an allotment and they free range. I was pm'd by him on another forum that he advertises on and he also advertises here.

Hubby was met at the allotment gate and refused entry or to leave the other birds with them and no refund.

We feel rather foolish now that we have let them take advantage of us and as it was a young boy who sold them to us we should have walked away. But there you go lesson learnt the very hard way.

We will keep an eye on these 2 and just hope they are ok.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 12:33 »
... and he also advertises here.

He will be removed from our list !  >:(

Ma Lowe

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 12:46 »
Good!! I really don't want anyone else having to be upset by this.

Do we need to disinfect the house the three of them were in?? What do I need to get for this... anything else I need to do to help the others.

Hubby is clearing an area for the house to go on then building a etter one if he can in time. Will the Ark that hubby built be ok for them to be in for a bit as they won't have enough room to wander much? oh dear so much to think about I am begining to panic again. Any advise would be fab and thank you all for your help so far.

I am trying to stay positive honest :unsure:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 12:47 »
The poultry breeders list is a free service for members and breeders. Obviously I can't check everyone on there but I do say (in bold red) on the list page

Please Note: Suppliers have not been checked or vetted in any way. It is completely up to you to ensure you are happy with the health, condition and sex of the birds etc. I cannot intervene in disputes nor provide advice or an opinion on any transaction.

Obviously I don't want any bad apples in there though. This sort of situation is why we don't allow advertising or buying directly through the forums - the listings on the separate poultry pages are there so that there is no need / excuse for forum selling.

Yes - you would be wise to disinfect the houses if your other birds are going to use them.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Ma Lowe

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 12:57 »
Hi John, I fully understood and read your warning and in no way blame this forum or anyone else for that matter. However I hope that no one else will buy from this breeder too.

I see you have removed them thank you.

Thanlk you for your advise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:59 by Ma Lowe »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 13:06 »
Sorry - that wasn't 'aimed' at you so much as to emphasise the point to everyone who reads this.

The list is syndicated onto Broad Leys Web Site and Down the Lane web sites as well - who also carry similar warnings.

I'm really not qualified to 'adjudicate' disputes but I must say it doesn't sound like a nice attitude to have. Sadly there seems to be too much money in supplying chickens. 

dizzylizzie

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 13:24 »
Hi , im so sorry you have had this awful experiance  :(. please dont let it cloud your opinion of keeping chickens, they really are the most fantastic pets. I totally understand why you are angry and upset and you are justified in your feelings. Although from what you have said from the suppliers attitude, they dont sound like the best....but it is possible that the bird really didnt present signs of illness when it was there, or because its on a bigger scale than a back garden, they may have missed symptoms. I know it sound like im making excuses, and sticking up for them, im not.....im just trying to think of other reasons how this could have happened.thi is just another readson why new birds should be kept seperate initially, chickens keep illness's very well hidden, and usually you only know they are ill when they are very ill. Keeping them seperate gives them chance to settle into their new enviroment, get their bearings, gives the exsisting flock time to get used to them, but also gives you a good few weeks to watch for signs of illness.We have just bought 2 babies, thank god i kept them seperate, as one has been treated for gape worm by the vet thsi week...she just wasnt right, took her to the vet, where she was given an ivermectin injection, antibiotic and ani-inflammatory injection....the place i got the bird from was very abusive, and i thought, well, she's mine now, not ideal, but my responsibility,so i had to make her well. its not fair, i know that, but thats how it goes, vets bills are part of the course!. i really hope your other birds are ok, im sure they will be. and im also sure in a few weeks time you will LOVE keeping chickens, and it will be a horrible distant memory. I hope evrything is ok, take care, lizzie x

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 15:13 »
Oh Ma, i'm really sorry for the problems you're having, and losing one like last, poor girl. Its very upsetting and we all can panic when something happens, but it will come good in the end. Hope all the others are ok.
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

grumpydad

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 18:45 »
ma, just keep going, disinfect, give addatives to bolster them, and try to go forward.
we lost 3 to mareks from a breeder who advertises in all the top magazines who said they had been vaccinated, so i know how you feel, it is a long slog at the begining, and a very steep learning curve, but we are just about ready to have another couple, seperate run sorted just need to get them.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 20:27 »
How are things today Ma?

Ma Lowe

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 21:55 »
Hi Kitkat,

Unfortunately the other 2 hens were found dead in their coop this morning. They were showing symtoms of swollen eyes bubble coming from them and breathing problems late yesterday and we were hoping to take them to the vet today but alas we were to late for that.

The whole experience has left me emotionaly draned and stressed. I am now worried sick about my 4 other hens who shared the coop with the sick birds for 2 days and nights.
We have today been out and bought a disinfectant mix to clean the coop and run with and the feeder and drinker. We also have poultry Shield. We will be having a big clean up tomorrow.
I am off to my bed now as I haven't slept for ages worrying about the poor birds and I am exhausted.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 22:05 »
Hi Ma, so sorry to hear you lost the others. Keeping my fingers crossed now for the original ones. Get some rest and keep us posted.

Foxy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 22:08 »
Oh I am so sorry, how stressful, heartfelt sympathies to you :( :(

Lydia-Maria

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 23:46 »
Really sorry that you've lost all three :(.
I also think that the person you bought them from could have been a lot more helpfull. They should have explained about keeping your new chooks quarantined for two weeks from your existing flock etc whilst they were settling in etc.
That is in the past though,nasty for you and the chooks.Tomorrow is another day,after some sleep and you've disinfected your coop and everything,apart from keeping an eye on them for any symptoms you will be able to move forward.
I'm sure someone has already advised you of this but you could add garlic and ACV to their water, as well as poultry spice to their feed. This is the sort of thing that you give to new hens whilst they're settling in (as well as after lol)but,I feel that hens are quite sensitive so will pick up on the worry you've all had . The extra vitamins etc should help them through this.( my sincere apologies if you're already doing this-I am sincerely trying to help)
I suggest a stiff brandy for you and your hubby  :)not so much that you go squiffy though  :wacko:.
Good luck and we are all thinking of you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 23:48 by Lydia-Maria »
Lydia

dizzylizzie

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 06:28 »
Hi, ive just caught up with your post , im so sorry that you have lost all 3. Its a terrible thing to happen, but now your main concern is your other girls. I would ring the vet , and explain what has happened, maybe they would recommend anibiotics for your others just in case.....i dont know, it  worth a shot!Take care, and ive got everything crossed the others are ok for you . x

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
sad looking chicken

Started by uba on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 19:34
by bantam novice
xx
I need chicken help!

Started by chelsap on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 13:42
by Jeanette
xx
chicken poo

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:22
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.