moving the hen house...any advice please

• 4 Replies

Mischief

moving the hen house...any advice please
« on: September 22, 2009, 14:46 »
Hi all

Just wanted to check the general opinion on a couple of things..... I'm planning to move my free ranging chickens house to further down the garden. They are right outside the back door at the moment but the mess is just getting out of hand and I want to move the coup further down. Will this cause the girls any upset and is there a best time to move or should i just go for it ????

I'm also worried that moving the coup away from the house will encourage foxy to move in. I haven't seen any near at all after I found a poisoned one (not by us) in the front a while ago. Does anyone think that moving the coup would encourage a fox. Its a very secure coup and we let our german shepherd out every night to roam for a bit but I'm still worried.

I was so determined not to become too attached to the girls but I'm afraid its too late..... I will post piccies.....honest :)

nzdunn

Re: moving the hen house...any advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 14:55 »
I have just moved my 3 girlies house into the big garden, as i have just got two newbies so am keeping them apart for a bit.   My 3 girlies sleep in a big dog kennel that we modified for them so we moved it at nite when the girls were roosting,  in the morning they definately knew they were somewhere different and wouldnt come out, when it came to laying they were patrolling the fence looking to get in but after 10mins they were fine and went into there house to lay.    Nickyx

Beano

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 15:23 »
Hi,
We moved the coop in full view of our chooks last year and they had been in the run to eat their food after it was moved. But by night time, they were totally lost and panicking a bit. Poppy even jumped up into the crab apple tree to roost. In the end we had to shoo them into their coop (very strange). After that they were ok.
Somehow or other they had recognized their run in a different place but not the coop.
El.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 15:59 »
Beano is right, they will go to where the coop used to be.  Ist couple of nights you should put them in.
As for the fox, if they are urban foxes I would have thought they would go near the house too.  If they are shut in securely at night they should be ok and I am presuming they will free range over the same area anyway in the day time.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 16:37 »
Last week, we ended up moving our ark with a hen in the nest box  :ohmy: I have to move it when OH is free to help ...

She coped, laid and laid again next day, so no damage done.

We're building a new run ... I plan to shut the girls in it for a few days before starting to free range again, just so they know where home is.  :)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

xx
Moving house

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 10:55
by ANHBUC
xx
Moving House - Things to Consider?

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 09:06
by Vember
xx
thinking of moving house!!

Started by starry on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 15:11
by madcat
xx
Advice on this house please before I buy.

Started by knittywittywoo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 14:14
by knittywittywoo

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 27 queries.