Apple Patio recommendation

• 3 Replies

sclarke624

Apple Patio recommendation
« on: September 19, 2009, 13:14 »
I would like to grow an eating apple preferably a red one in a large patio pot.  Anyone doing this already.  Any ideas on what M size that is, where to get it and wether needs a friend to get fruity.
I already have a 5ft bramley if this helps with pollination.  Both the last two houses I have lived in had bramleys, shame cos I don't do much with them would prefer a red apple tree.

Thanks
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

gillie

Re: Apple Patio recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 16:22 »
Have a look at this: http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/catlist.php?id=23

I am afraid your Bramley is no good as a pollinator as it is a triploid which does not have fertile pollen.  You need the dwarfing M27 rootstock which are widely available.

There are an enormous number of red eating apples that might do.  Perhaps you could get to a local Apple Day, which are usually held in October, and do some serious tasting.

Cheers,

Gillie

SG6

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 19:45 »
M27 gets about 5-6ft high and you will need a decent sized pot. The rootball gets 12-15inches across and will need a pot about 30 ins across with good compost.
It will need staking.

Best pot I can think of that is cheap is in Wilkinsons, they are dark green and in the storage section, not the gardening, and have 2 handles on either side for lifting. BUT they will be heavy when full. Also I am assuming that they will take outdoor life.

A plastic pot has the advantage that it loses less water but a terrocotta one looks good but in the size you will need thay are expensive.

There are "patio" apples that are on a very dwarfing rootstock and the tree remains 2-3 ft tall. No idea of the cropping of these.

As was said bramley is no good as a pollinator, however if it is bearing fruit then it is being poiinated from somewhere.

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 00:22 »

There are an enormous number of red eating apples that might do.  Perhaps you could get to a local Apple Day, which are usually held in October, and do some serious tasting.

Of course good idea there is the apple fest at West Dean, I might go to that.

xx
Patio Apple Tree Seeds

Started by TommyT on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 12:11
by Johndeb
xx
patio peas

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 20:49
by Adam Fletcher
xx
Patio Planters

Started by Aston on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 16:45
by BenefitofHindsight
xx
Patio Nectarine

Started by Agatha on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 15:51
by Agatha

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 29 queries.