Poor little Goose, round 2

• 1 Replies

Vi

Poor little Goose, round 2
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:56 »
Hello everyone again,

I've got another drama I need help with :tongue2:.  Several weeks ago, my laying hen, Goose was poorly, I think we finally worked out that she had an egg broken inside her and i've given her a round of antibiotics as well as de-worming her (and the rest of the flock) we've also de-loused/de-mited the chooks and coop.  She's shown signs of recovery, nice red comb wattle ears and surrounding eye skin and was even plumping up a bit and fluffing up a bit around her bottom.  She never really perked up though, always with her tail pointed down or level at most.  She did go back to doing chickeny things like scratching for food and fighting for scraps, though she's never been top hen again (she was the boss at one time) and doesn't put up much of a fight when Duck takes her treats.    About 3 1/2 weeks ago she layed a shell less egg. We thought, great she's starting to really recover, so we've been making sure there's calcium sources for her etc.  Shell grit and so on.  then no more eggs at all.  Over the last three days she's been poorly again.  We've re-started antibiotics as a precaution and have been lacing a bit of bread with flax seed oil and crushed calcium tablet in hopes that's all she's missing.  About a month ago, we also changed the feed to a higher quality (according to the person at the produce shop) in hopes this would trigger her to lay again.

She's hanging out under a shrub all on her own with her tail down and just looks unhappy.  Still red in the right places, comb wattle etc.  her bottom has been mucky as well.  And i think she's passing white watery poos though i'm not sure that's hers i'm just presuming because the other chooks seem fine.  She has moments of normalicy but they don't last long.

does anyone have any idea how long it should take her to recover from the first incident and start laying eggs again? and now that we're having round two.... i don't know.   any ideas?

Thank you
Vi

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: Poor little Goose, round 2
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16 »
I dont have any advice, but i hope she gets better, poor Goose.
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
poor poor tweety --- incubators suck

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:25
by Midwife
xx
Goose egg

Started by slowef on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:21
by Stree
xx
How Do You Sex A Goose

Started by dangolding on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 10:24
by Bodger
xx
goose value!

Started by megkaya on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 11:51
by megkaya

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 36 queries.