Poo - help please

• 11 Replies

the ancient one

Poo - help please
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:59 »
Hi, had the hens (pol) just over a week, they look well, and certainly can move when I try to catch them. On Sunday I gave them some cooked runner bean trimmings, and some cooked beans on Monday - one (I presume it's just one) started to produce some yellow-brown sloppy poo. I put it down to change of diet, however this morning on cleaning the coop I see what looks like blood in one pile of poo. Their vents look clean and are bright eyed and moving well. I have ordered flubenvet and Coxoid, should be here today or tomorrow by post. Which one should I give one first or both together? I have ACV in the water.

The birds were on growers mash at the large breeders sheds, I put them growers pellets, then soaked the pellets. They have had a variety of greens, weeds, cabbage plus they get a small handful of corn in the late afternoon.

I may be panicking too early, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :(
Old age and cunning will triumph over youth and enthusiasm every time

coco

• Experienced Member
Re: Poo - help please
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:04 »
 :)  have a look through these, I know its easy to get worried about these things but its amazing what's considered normal

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

xx

the ancient one

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14 »
I did look at "The Good Poo Guide" and it looks like the first in Ceacal listing, but it started last Sunday, should it still be continuing, assuming it is just the one of the three. The meds have just been delivered by my merry postman (it's a fast delivery all the way from Scotland).
Should I play safe and give the Flubenvet - as they are not laying yet it might be a good time anyway. But perhaps I should wait and see about using Coxoid?

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:22 »
Good advice from coco, I would hold off a bit, they are new POL? so maybe the change of diet, particulary adding veggies would most likely be the culprit, a very different diet to what they are used too. If they are healthy in every other respect, eg scratching and alert just keep an eye on them over the next few days. ;) :)

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:33 »
Ceacal are normal and happen after every 12 poos i think i read on the "Good poo guide", obviously not normal if theres blood in them, they do shed abit of intestine aswell in there poos which is normal, examples of them on the poo guide.   Nickyx

the ancient one

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:34 »
I may be panicking too early, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :(

Thanks both, I thought these chickens were supposed to be relaxing and therapeutic, I seem to swing between enjoying their antics to worry about poo!
 :nowink:

Do you think I should give them a course of Flubenvet in a week or so?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:58 »
Poo is a worry to allot of newbies and I was to me. I remember a post from Foxy in the past saying "just wait till you notice the poo", I thought what is she on. A week when buy and then I noticed OMG my hen has cappuccino poo. 

Do you think I should give them a course of Flubenvet in a week or so?
When was the last time that they where wormed?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

the ancient one

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:31 »
RH
Don't know as to whether they have been wormed, they were sold as point of lay, no info on vaccinations or worming given at the time. (So keen to get them forgot to ask what now seems obvious - but did get info on their feeding.)

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:35 »
Surely, you should notice if there are worms if you are examining the poo regularly. If there aren't any, wouldn't it be daft to treat them? I thought they only needed doing twice a year at most? Suppose it depends on size of flock, contact with other animals/birds if they freerange....?

the ancient one

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 17:08 »
I'll keep an eye what happens over the next week or so with the poo  ::)

As regards the worming I've read the poultry info item carefully and will do as Aunt Sally says:
Free ranging birds are at slightly higher risk of getting worms from wild bird dropping and from eating slugs, snails and worms.  It is a good idea to worm them regularly. 

I always recommend Flubenvet which should be used every 6 months.  I'd not worry about treating them until they are about 6 months old, but keep an eye on them for any problems which may indicate treating them sooner would be needed.

Unfortunately there is a holly tree frequented by jackdaws, sparrows and blackbirds right next door to the run, and the run roof is yet to go on. In a reply to chickenlady re seeing worms in poo:
No you won't see them in the droppings unless you have treated them with flubenvet.

So I'll wait and see their condition, and if ok wait till their 6 months old before worming.
Thanks for the helpful replies, I am sure I will return with more questions.....many of them silly.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 22:46 »
That was me, not chickenlady, and I stand corrected!!! :ohmy: Sorry!
Although you may not see the worms the type of poo should tell you. If it stays yucky yellow all the time there would be something wrong but if it's mostly normal it's probably diet/emotional upset/pollutant and you should be able to gauge it for yourself. They're probably still settling in. Most breeders worm anyway so they shouldn't need it for a while if they're pol. If you've got the Flubenvet it's easy to use when necessary.
I remember going through manic paranoia when I got my girls but I am so laid back now I'm horizontal ! 8)
Good luck with your girls and enjoy! :D

the ancient one

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 08:03 »
VC I'll try and contact the breeder next week and see what treatment he has given. I'm more used to keeping dogs than chickens, frontline, drontal plus and the occasional ear drops - so much easier!

No "blooming" poo this morning, one yellow brown sticky one again, the rest - a lot, looked black and normal, and they were pretty quick out of the coop, "Blondie" shot off to where there were a few grains of corn left, while the other two had a quick go at the little bit of mash I put down then went off scratching the wood chip. I'll just let them have mash over the next few days, no greens - perhaps that will settle their stomachs.

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.