When to harvest...?

• 2 Replies

chicken

When to harvest...?
« on: September 18, 2009, 18:01 »
Ive just had a really good read through of the month by month guide - and written notes in my diary, but i am a little confused as to when to harvest things i have growing. We aquired the allotment in id july, and on the first day were given cabbage plants. I have been told they should overwinter along with savoy and purple sprouting (which i was also given) when would they be ready?
Also, i have planted swede, and the leaves are getting huge! But according to the seed packet they also need to over winter?
When would carrots sown in mid july be ready and also beetroot?

Im sure once i get into the swing of things next season all will become clearer!
x x Lucy x x

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: When to harvest...?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 19:35 »
With the cabbage it depends what variety they are they may be big enough to eat during the early winter, or may be the kind that begins to heart up in spring.
The savoys should be ready to eat anytime from about Christmas, as soon as they look big enough to eat really. The PSBrocolli makes it's little shoots in feb/march again depending on variety.
The swede leaves do get very big :) and you can eat them as soon as the stems have swollen to a usuable size, but you don't have to eat them all at once, they will just sit here until you want them.
When you have used all these brassicas up and dug the ground this is when you usually change to the next crop in your rotation.
I don't grow carrots or beetroot so can't advise there.
Good luck :)
Just thought that this sowing and harvest chart might help.....you can see when things should be ready ......LINK TO CHART
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 19:41 by mumofstig »

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Re: When to harvest...?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 19:37 »
Lucky you Lucy, you are embarking on such an adventure, you will get the hang of it after a season or two.

Your brassicas (that are overwintering, i.e. started late summer/autumn and given a start, before they take it easy over the winter months, then the burst into life again and you should start cropping between March and May depending on the weather.

I guess if your lucky the carrots could be finger size for Christmas.  Not as sure for beetroot but i think if you sowed in July they should be good for the end of this month?

Someone with more experience will be along shortly.

Lucky you to be given those plants when you got your allotment. You'll really appreciate them when they start to crop for you. It seems like a bit of a wait, but you'll be busy planning and itching to get going when you'll be given a taste of the joys of harvesting and eating your own.

Should set you up nice for the new season next year.
Liv.

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
my first EVER harvest

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 10:04
by purplebean
xx
pea harvest

Started by colleensj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:07
by Goosegirl
xx
should I harvest?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 21:59
by Loubs

Page created in 0.98 seconds with 30 queries.