Roundup question.

• 9 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Roundup question.
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:24 »
Hi all,

I have several walkways/paths on by plot which consists of ten large beds. I keep the path areas out of convenience and all the beds are bordered with wood.

I found it hard going this year to manage the paths, they became over-grown very quickly. The long grass and weeds was knee deep in areas. I kept cutting it back but with limited time and a veg plot to manage, the paths got the better of me in the end. The growth is slowing down now and I have cut it back quite a bit but I am not looking forward to going through it all again next year.

Other than a few slug pellets I grew organically with good results. Next year I am thinking of spraying the paths with Roundup (or similar) every now & then just to keep them under control.

Is it safe to do this without risking damage to my beds or health? Should I protect the beds as best I can whilst spraying?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
(btw- I can’t put paving or similar down).
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Roundup question.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:52 »
As you are only going to use roundup on the paths I would say go for it.  I would however, use a watering can on a day with absolutely no wind, not a mist spray.

The rights and wrongs of using roundup have been much debated on here before.  Please keep replies on topic and factual. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Ropster

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 13:09 »
if the paths are permanent it would probably be a good idea to cover them in weed matting and some sort of mulch (Gravel or wood chippings)

Roundup will clear them but the weeds will just come back

tode

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 13:37 »
It's not too late to treat with roundup now to kill off perenniel weeds (choose calm day and fine-rose watering can or spray using low pressure to avoid misting).
You will still probably have a fair stock of weed seeds in the ground, so either cover over well, as Ropster suggests, or you can mow regularly. Either way, try not to let any more weeds run to seed, or you'll never get on top of em.
Good luck.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 13:45 »
I had similar problems with couch grass / dandelions on my paths; the battery operated strimmer wouldn't keep on top of it so I got some woven weed suppressant membrane - this has really worked well in the main.

But yes, agree with the others' answers re weedkiller too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

noshed

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 14:13 »
Roundup will be fine, but see above advice on not having it blow all over your beds. Wear gloves and don't walk across the lawn afterwards!
A lot of people on our site use straw for paths - just the stuff which comes in the manure. It seems to burn the weeds off.
I use weed matting like this: http://www.allplas.co.uk/acatalog/Woven_105gsm_Weed_Control_Fabric.html
I've had it down for 4 years
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 14:45 »
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I will use it once or twice a year just to keep on top of things.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 15:24 »
Using Roundup for maintaining paths is like using antibiotics for a sneeze. Much better to use a tissue (or mower/ strimmer/ scythe in this case)!

If you can keep off the Roundup then messy paths will create corridors which the good guys can use to move around your plot. It is also one of the cheapest options and can provide mulch/ compost material if you wish. On the negative side grass can steal moisture and nutrients from surrounding soil besides acting as a weed nursery, but I think this is manageable.

If your paths are not manageable in this way then they are probably too wide.

peterjf

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 15:45 »
i woiuldt use a watering can ,

use a spryer , fine mist setting ,

round up has to stay on the leaves for at least 5-6 hours ,

a watering can will be too hard on the leaves and make the round up solution run straight off ,

not only that ,

round up is pretty expensive

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 17:16 »
I also have the same problem with grassed paths around my raised beds in my veg garden which used to be a field, so there are weed grasses and couch grass too. I made the mistake of killing off the grassy area behind my greenhouse and ended up with a large area of weeds and mud which will happen with you if you do the same to your paths and will make barrowing hard work plus the weed seeds will spread onto your raised beds. I am planning on paving the smaller paths between the beds by killing the grass/weeds, then using weed suppressant fabric on top covered with cold ashes from the fire (they set like rock), then paving bought cheap from local adverts on top. I want to keep the bigger paths to my greenhouse etc as grass so I will Roundup them then re-seed with lawn grass which won't grow as fast or as tall so I don't have to strim so often.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Roundup & Bindweed question

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2017, 15:34
by Salmo
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh
clip
Roundup

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2015, 12:31
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.968 seconds with 29 queries.