Seed brands - which are best?

• 43 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Seed brands - which are best?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 16:23 »
I like Mr Fothergill's because the information on the back is very clear. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 18:14 »
You get information on seed packets?  :ohmy:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 18:48 »
To be honest Push, I blamed my compost (and still do up to a point), so didnt write in. Im a bit mad at myself now, but Ive learned a lesson and am starting to harvest my own chilli seeds. and have kept a good bag od compost back from this year

I am not sure that it was your compost.  I had T&M Dwarf French Beans that were difficult to germinate and after about 3 attempts I managed to get enough to plant out.  These have turned out EXACTLY the same shape and taste as runner beans?  I also did not complain to T&M, which I should have.  The Scarlet Emperor Runner Beans were also bad at germinating, but I got them there in the end.  The chillies have only just started flowering (these are in the greenhouse) so I am sure I won't get one chilli from them.  And yes, they are expensive.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 19:02 »
You get information on seed packets?  :ohmy:
Yes, if you turn the packet over there is a wealth of information regarding planting times, depth and  harvesting.   8)

diggerjoe

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 19:20 »
Sadly I admit that I am seduced by seed companies I buy a few from each and then still buy from wilkos and the rest even the more odd ones on line such as Sarah Raven seeds but overall I have to say apart from price I have had about the same results from them all. T & M catalogue dropped on the mat this week so hoping for lottery win this weekend  ::)

Pellynut

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 22:23 »
I just get whichever is cheapest.  Lots of Garden Centres selling seeds at half price, or even 50p! ;)   You just need to check the Use by Date.

Bombers

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 22:28 »
I just get whichever is cheapest.  Lots of Garden Centres selling seeds at half price, or even 50p! ;)   You just need to check the Use by Date.
exactly! This year, I had mostly Wilcos own, and very good they were too!
next year I've got a mixture of Unwins T & M and fothergills... All at 50pence each, and good until 2011. 8) :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 22:56 »
How did they store them in the interim?

Must admit I buy mine cheap, but if they don't come up - so be it, never too late to buy a new packet.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 11:09 »
I buy the bog standards anywhere as cheap as i can get them like radish,spring onion,leeks lettuce etc.
Lidl radish were the best ive ever had at 39p a packet,three different varieties as well.
But i like to pay a bit extra for the rest and always buy from a quality supplier.
The peppers i had from Marshalls were superb with a heavy crop,lidl own peppers i havent had one pepper off them.
At the end of the day its not a huge price difference to buy from a quality seed supplier than wilkos.

PaulandSair

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 21:04 »
Hi,

We have found that in general T&M have been pretty good, while Unwins also have been good, but I have to say that Wilkinsons, and B&Q's have proven very good this year with very good germination rates.  The only one I have some concern over has been Suttons this year with some disappointments.  B&Q Parsnip seeds I reckon have had great germination rates - very high and will be using the same next year.  Dobbies seem to have a good germination rate and life - we were given some long out of date Swede's to try for fun and at least 90% germinated - not bad for seeds to be used by 2004!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 21:55 »
I have tried most of them also and will not buy Suttons, Fothergills, Marshalls, Duchy Originals or that tart Titchmarsh. Stick to what suits your area and what is recommended by the vetrans, our associations supplier are Kings 8) I do use T&M and Franchi for exotics.
The disapointments in germination is strange; apart from carrot, radish and spring onion I start all seed off in modules, even parsnip. ;) It may be a bit more effort to transplant and space them, but, water them in well and seedlings think its Christmas and grow.
Save seed from Broadbean, leek, climbimg and dwarf french bean and sow them the following year; my sweetcorn and nasturtiums are decendants from packets I brought back from a trip to America a few years ago. :D 
Sometimes your own seed is best.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

janette

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 22:13 »
interested to read all your replies on which seeds to buy I have bought dobies for several years now and I get show quality results they are by post and the catalogue is packed with information. A group of us at W.I. get together and order with a substantial discount .yes don't bother with parsnip seed after 1st year get fresh

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 12:33 »
"Anyone ever heard of Eseeds before?"

The information on their sites seems hopeless out of date. I like the idea of comparing brands side-by-side, but I wonder if their site has actually been updated in ages?

The T&M seed you refer to, Tomato Ailsa Craig, is £2,25 on Eseeds and 1.89 @ T&M (and as you say Cristal is £4.04 @ Eseeds and £2.99 at T&M)

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 13:30 »
eSeeds has been slated on another forum I am on.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

xx
Seed brands

Started by Henwoman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 15:30
by allotmentor
xx
Cheaper seed brands

Started by uba on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 22:20
by uba
xx
Your opinions on the brands of compost you have bought - 2013

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

136 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 13:42
by Kristen
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.959 seconds with 36 queries.