sexing light sussex chicks

• 9 Replies

karlooben

sexing light sussex chicks
« on: September 10, 2009, 21:29 »
i have 4 light sussex chicks that have just come into lay  :D ,but i am bit concerned that one of them has a very slightly larger crown then the other 3 but also on the sides of thiers heads there seems to be a patch of feathering which seems a dullish yellow can u tell from those if they are boys or girls . there are meant to all be girls and i havent heard any tpye of crowing yet but they do really sqaure up to each other quite a lot .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

dizzylizzie

Re: sexing light sussex chicks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 22:27 »
Hi Hazel, hope your ok  :D, are they all laying now, cos it would be good if they were , as it would kind of solve the sexing problem. I was chatting to sarah tonight and she was just saying how much easier it would be if they had little pink or blue labels behind their ears he he  ;) good luck with them hun, hopefully there wont be any fellas :tongue2: :D x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 22:42 »
Looby, if they have started to lay, you will be able to tell if one is a cockerel.  I've known for weeks which ones of ours were cockerels and they are still too young to lay yet!

Actually, saying that, they are 19 weeks old now and the cockerel I kept which is unrelated to the girls must be about 21 weeks!

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:19 »
If your chx are laying or close to they are pullets or cockerells not chicks.  The dullish yellow feathers on the side of their heads is their ear covers and are genetically linked to the colour off their egg shells.  You can't tell their sex from this.  However Cocks are generally much taller with a more upright posture with noticably larger combs and wattles, and have longer more sturdy legs.  Hens are squatter with more fluffy fearthers on their rears.  Cocks have more developed hackles with thinner more pointed feathers and their tails are much more showy with longer curved feathers. They should be crowing if they are near mature cocks.  With Light Sussex the feather marking is similar for cocks & hens but their behaviour is quite different with cocks being more assertive and arrogant.  If the hens keep popping off to the shops that cliches it.
Regards
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:24 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16 »
thanks guys , i know all 4 of the lights have been nesting in the boxes but i could not tell you which one is laying because when i go in there of a weekend they soon fly out the door as they are very nervous an catching them can be great fun .
i have had a about 5 eggs now that have been a lot smaller an totally different colour to my ex batts so i know they have come into lay . i'll try an get pics of each one and put them up over the weekend unless i get the chance to do it today , admitting if they had of started crowing by now i would probably not be alive  :lol: numerous neighbours would of killed me by now .
i was told they came from a very good hatchery place but even then there cant always get it right but if one did turn out to be  a cockerel it already has a home to go to  :D

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:28 »
Morning Looby.
I have 10 week old LS and I can clearly tell the difference between the hen and cock. (And I'm no expert)
Not so sure about the Buff as nothing to compare to but the way he(?) acts towards the other cock makes me think he is a he!!

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 17:15 »
if they are coming into lay an a few  are laying already  i would of known if they were males as they would of crowed by now wouldnt they ??

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 19:09 »
If it was a cockerel it would have crowed by now and it would have a lot bigger comb, also pointy featers around his neck and tail. These are my Bantam ligh Sussex.

I also have some Large white sussex chicks, about 12 weeks old and can easily tell the difference.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 19:12 »
Phew Michelle, I didn't read that properly and had a panic that mine aren't anything like as mature looking as that  :unsure: then went back and read that they are bantams  :(

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 22:46 »
i'll get pics of mine on tomorw thats if they will stay stil long enough  :lol:

clip
Sexing a light Sussex

Started by Plummidge on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 21:20
by Neelam
xx
re light sussex chicks

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 20:36
by bantam novice
question
Help needed please Sexing a speckled sussex

Started by AL Hathaway on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 02:36
by AL Hathaway
xx
Sexing dorking/sussex cross

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 07:59
by sheridal

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 29 queries.