Trying to plan coop but struggling on internals

• 26 Replies

Flowerpower136

Re: Trying to plan coop but struggling on internals
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 12:34 »
Its a bit mind boggling trying to understand where it all fits I know!

Things we thought about when building our coup.

Eliminate any unnecessary internal joints/crevices which could house red mite, by simpliyfing construction, and keeping the inside of the coop as stream lined as possible.

Think critically at all times about cleaning.   Can you access it, can it be easily removed, can it sprayed and dried easily, etc etc.

We had wooden nest box inserts, but gave up with them for being awkward to clean, and have now got 3 plastic crates, which just sit on the floor in the nest box area of the coop.  They are so much more practical for cleaning/drying.

Perch is 45 cms above the floor level.  Haven't got a dropping board, but floor is lined with newspaper and then wood shavings.  Poo can be easily picked out of the woodshavings each day, so never builds up.  Perch at this height is nice for the girls, because they like to be high.  But also leaves clear space in the coop so noone has to duck! 

Think about ventilation as well - above head height so not draughty on the girls.

Picture shows ours under construction.

tegfryn

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 14:03 »
many thanks for replying...things are starting to get clearer

Flowerpower, can i ask what you have used to seal the crevaces? is the pop hole behind the main door? is it necessary to clean everyday? have you got any other pics?

RichardH, looks great, certainly given me a few ideas, have you got a pic showing the perches etc?

I'm sorry to be asking for so much, just trying to get things clear in my mind before the saw comes to play :)

then i need to find some light sussex pol's for sale in south wales....lol

Flowerpower136

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 15:08 »
We used an external wood glue (polyurethane? Might have got that wrong ::)).  It expands to fill the gaps, and sets very solidly and can be sanded if necessary.  Others on here have used bathroom type fillers.

I only 'clean' the coup about once a fortnight, ie everything out, spray with poultry sheild (providing I think it will dry - depends on the weather), and replace paper, woodshavings with fresh, adding Diatom powder.  Shavings in coup are not there as bedding, girls will ideally sleep on the perches, or if not, will get into the nest boxes.  So coup shavings are purely to absorb poo.

I wash the plastic nest crates every weekend, replacing nesting with a base of woodshavings (absorbent) and top with a nest of straw (cosy).  Again use Diatom and also add a sprinkle of louse powder - so they get a dose every time they nest.

On a daily basis, I pick poo out of the woodshavings.  It's not what I would term as cleaning really.  Just like picking eggs from the nest box, you pick poo from the coup :lol:  Also do a daily poo pick in the run.  Just basic common sense hygiene really.  Wouldn't matter if you missed a few days, but it's just nicer to be in the run if you don't have to tip toe through poo.

Here's a pic of pop hole, external and internal.  Tilly (ex batt) still in need of feathers :lol:  Pop hole door is controlled by an automatic light sensitive door opener.

Below see original plywood insert being modelled by Wilma - looks the business certainly, but a sod to clean.  Replaced with plastic crates which are a dream.  Need to be v sturdy solid so can't be tipped up.  These are workshop types store bins.

Coup raised well off the floor so don't encourage rats, also good place to hang feeders so they don't get dirt kicked into them, and can't be knocked over.  Also good for shade - whooo hoo, the suns out!! :lol:

Contour of bitumen roof provides ventilation at the right height, but fill in gaps with weldmesh to keep out rats.

Have a compost bin handy for poo/bedding.  My garden compost bays are in here too, which the girls love.  Their bin is the darlek, and the rubber gloves are their for a purpose :tongue2:.

And don't forget your own perch........you'll need it!  Sunflower kneeling mat is perfect for the job, and I keep it on top of the coup when not in use.

RichardH

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 16:04 »
Only pic of the perches so far is this one

I ran a batten along the left hand side, and at the right hand side they sit on the top of the section formed by the entrance to the nest boxes. Couple of small blocks screwed down on either side of the roosting bars giving a reasonably tight fit so they don't tweist when perched upon, but can be removed for cleaning. You can just see the meshed door underneath.

I used silicone sealant, but the PU glue idea is a great one - be warned though - it's messy stuff, and once on your hands it stays for days!! Also, you'll NEVER get a joint apart once glued with that stuff - I build all the band's speaker cabs using it, and it's fantastic (but sticky!)

I'll take some more pics at the weekend.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 16:41 »

I used silicone sealant, but the PU glue idea is a great one - be warned though - it's messy stuff, and once on your hands it stays for days!! Also, you'll NEVER get a joint apart once glued with that stuff - I build all the band's speaker cabs using it, and it's fantastic (but sticky!)

I'll take some more pics at the weekend.

Oh yes! forgot to mention that, make sure you wear your marigolds, and work quickly! :lol:

tegfryn

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 17:12 »
Huge Thanks to both of you, they look fantastic...its all really starting to make sense at last.

Forget the droppings board being suspended under the perch and life becomes so much easier...lol

i'd really like one of those auto-openers...still trying to convince the other half.

RichardH

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 17:16 »
Yes, I had all sorts of cunning plans and clever tricks in mind, but K.I.S.S. is really the best way.

There's a couple of threads on here about DIY auto openers that I'm considering having a bash with, but it's all a bit involved. Let's get the chickens settled first before I go too mad with the rest....

tegfryn

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 17:22 »
excuse the ignorance...whats K.I.S.S. ?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 17:26 »
Auto pop hole openers are the best thing since slice bread, apart from the girls themselves of course.

Though we bought one, didn't try to DIY.  Bought the steel door with it from the Flytes site, and it was a doddle to install.

Highly recommended, just makes life so much easier.

RichardH

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 17:50 »
K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid

(No offense intended!!)

tegfryn

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 20:07 »
lol....no offence taken, although i do now feel rather stupid ;)

RichardH

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 07:06 »
Heheh. Mind you, I do have a cunning plan re making a moveable run for them - all will be revealed in a few days time (I feel just like Derren Brown)

thumbdown
new to poultry and really struggling

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 00:33
by henrietta5
xx
Struggling with integration.....

Started by chickenmclicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 21:45
by joyfull
xx
Struggling to know what to feed them on!

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:56
by redmolly
xx
struggling with lice

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 00:00
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 28 queries.