Other gins

• 29 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Other gins
« on: September 07, 2009, 14:01 »
Well, the consensus seems to be that elderberry gin probably wouldn't be a good idea.  I'd make sloe gin but I can't find any sloes, so what else works well?

I've just bought some damson gin, and I've already got batches of raspberry vodka and rhubarb vodka on the go, so I'd prefer not to use damsons, raspberries or rhubarb.

Any suggestions?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Other gins
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 14:27 »
I made some great Christmas Brandy last year with raisen, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel in it. Was yummy. Quince brandy was also amazing but my poor quince seems to have developed some sort of terminal disease which is really upsetting.

Blackberries do really well in almost any spirit.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 16:07 »
Well, I specifically wanted gin because I've got some spare.  I bought it to make raspberry gin with but then accidentally put them in vodka instead.  Your Christmas brandy sounds very good, though, so I might put it on the list to make another time.  What's the recipe?

Blackberries might work, though.  I've heard that you shoudn't leave them in too long as they start tasting woody.  What's the optimum steeping time?

maverick

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 16:17 »
I've made sloe gin for the first time this year. Even though it's only been about two weeks, I had a sneak taster and it is fab! Should be excellent by Christmas. The 'gin' taste seems to have been lost, so in that regard, I don't think it really matters what spirit you use.

I made blackberry whisky on the weekend, so if I was in your position, I'd probably try a blackberry gin.

Interesting point about how long you leave them steeping - I've put my bottle up the attic out of tempations way. You've got me wondering now though  ???

Good luck, I'm sure it will be lovely whatever you decide to make  :)

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 16:24 »
Interesting point about how long you leave them steeping - I've put my bottle up the attic out of tempations way. You've got me wondering now though  ???

I've just found this blackberry whisky recipe http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?p=422 which says to remove the fruit after three months and then mature for a year.  That seems like a long time to wait, but it could be worth it!

I think the base spirit does make a difference - I've tasted sloe gin, sloe whisky and sloe vodka made by the same company, and they were all good but definitely different - but you're probably right that most flavours would work with all of them.

If I can find enough blackberries, I'll give blackberry gin a try.  If not, I'm wondering about plums - after all, they're in the same family as sloes and damsons.

maverick

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:09 »
Thanks for the link HLS, I think I will strain it early December. That particular recipe calls for an awful lot of blackberries for a bottle of whisky though in my opinion. I've made a gallon of blackberry wine with that quantity  :ohmy:

I take your point about the base spirit, I guess there would be subtle differences. I see no reason why you couldn't use plums. Try and gauge their sweetness / sharpness so that you can adjust how much sugar you need to add though.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34 »
You still have a couple of months before the sloes are over so plenty of time for mooching around the hedgerows .Get family and friends on the look too , if they have a carrier bag in the pocket they can pick and freeze them . Sloe gin is best. :)

If anybody claims to makes a better gin can they send me a sample for an independent taste comparison. :) :) :)

Zeb

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:35 »
Fox's Glacier Mints !
Tip into a suitable lidded container
Pour over gin
replace lid and shake
stick it near the sink and shake every time your passing
the mints will fully desolve in a day or two
I add sugar to taste and a couple of drops of blue food colouring.
pour into suitable bottle

Quickest thing I know..2 or 3 days until you are impressing friends and relatives

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 17:33 »
Incredible Zeb - what are the quanities of mints to quantity of gin etc please.
R

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 19:14 »
I went a-sloe hunting last night and found many more blackberries than sloes. I've come home with about a pound of each, so I plan a sloe gin and a blackberry gin. Just used up all my brandy on "Brandy Peaches".

I'm fascinated about the foxes glacier mints version - there was talk of a toffee vodka on another thread. It involved a dishwasher too, and I'm intrigues by that too!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 19:24 »
Fox's Glacier Mints !
Tip into a suitable lidded container
Pour over gin
replace lid and shake
stick it near the sink and shake every time your passing
the mints will fully desolve in a day or two
I add sugar to taste and a couple of drops of blue food colouring.
pour into suitable bottle

Quickest thing I know..2 or 3 days until you are impressing friends and relatives

Wow! Never would have thought of that!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Damson

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 21:25 »
Hi Just been reading through and really interested to know how you made the Christmas Brandy Emma? Sounds delicious!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 17:58 »
I'm Kate!

I just put everything in a big kilner jar to about half way and topped it up with brandy!

Damson

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:33 »
Hi Kate, sorry think my brain must have gone at the end of the day!!! Will try the Christmas brandy sounds gorgeous!!!

too many girls

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 16:26 »
i really fancy making the fruit vodka's, only trouble is i have a tendency to drink the voddy before i've found any fruit to go in it :D

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 30 queries.