Seaweed, compost, mulch and salt

• 13 Replies

Zippy

Seaweed, compost, mulch and salt
« on: September 07, 2009, 13:08 »
In Cornwall we are surrounded on three sides by coast with a ready supply of washed up seaweed. I have often thought of bagging this for the allotment, but I am worried about adding too much salt to my beds which may cause mineral leaching and could possibly drive earthworms away from my beds.

On the other hand a top mulch of seaweed once the potato leaves become established may keep slugs away!

An internet search has brought up pages that advise it is ok to just put it into the compost heap or even direct to beds or dug into trenches for things like Runner Beans and Potatoes, but also pages that advise you to run water on the seaweed for one hour at least – clearly the allotment committee would have a dim view of me doing that!

What do others do or think about the salt issue please?

Sue33

Re: Seaweed, compost, mulch and salt
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 14:44 »

the old boy on the plot next to me puts seaweed on his runner bean beds, and they look pretty good  :)

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 20:11 »
Does he rinse the seaweed before applying or put direct on the plot?

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 20:29 »
I`d be inclined to rinse it first.

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:43 »
You don't need to rinse it. A woman on the program "Coast" who harvests seaweed said you can put it straight on the garden as the salt keeps the slugs off. Of course it doesn't work for me as they still climb all over it when I tried it.

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33 »

i've never seen him rinse it, he simply brings it over in a bucket and spreads it around  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 14:20 »
That's good to know if you can apply the seaweed straight to the ground without rinsing  :). This year I have started to make a plant feed from seaweed as we are so close to the shore here, but the recipe I have (loosely) followed requires it to be rinsed before the steeping in water.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Zippy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 14:38 »
Hi argyllie - could you post your recipe here as this might be an alternative use for seaweed. How do you rinse your gatherings?

Our allotment committee would be having words if they caught me wasting water to clean my seaweed  :tongue2: and I would want to avoid wasting water at home as well really if possible.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 16:30 »
Hi argyllie - could you post your recipe here as this might be an alternative use for seaweed. How do you rinse your gatherings?

Our allotment committee would be having words if they caught me wasting water to clean my seaweed  :tongue2: and I would want to avoid wasting water at home as well really if possible.

Hi Zippy,

I don't feel that it should be called my recipe, as I got the idea from the internet where you will find several similar results in a search for "homemade seaweed fertiliser" but this is the general idea.  :) I use mixed types of seaweed, some suggest using only one type.

I have an open topped container of probably about 50 litres in size, I guess. My helpful husband made me a lid and a stand and tapped the container. I gather enough seaweed to fill the container half way. I have a piece of wind breaking type fabric which I lay on the ground and spread the gathered seaweed out. I then hose it thoroughly (sorry allotment commitee  :tongue2:) and leave it about a day (it might get rain washed too  :D) before it goes into the container to be topped up with water and left about 3 weeks. I'm also thinking it may be more logical to make the mixture in buckets then strain it into the tapped container but we haven't tried this yet as the stuff goes a long way, but it would be a good way to keep up a good supply.  8)

Hope this helps,

Lorna.  :)

Zippy

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 18:12 »
I think I have it cracked. The seaweed comes home in a black bin bag, usually about half full.

I half fill an old plastic dustbin I have with grey water (washing machine, bathwater etc) and put the seaweed into an old large bucket I have which I'll put a few holes in the bottom.

Dump the bucket of seaweed into the dustbin of grey water up and down a bit and pull out the seaweed, rinsed with grey water which was going down the drain anyway. Decant the bucket of seaweed into a clean bin bag for taking up the lotty.

As I use biodegradable detergents the seaweed should be good to go on the plot or compost bin or fertiliser bucket as above recipe.

*Simples*  :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 23:05 »
In the Heligan Gardens they just spread it straight on the veg beds in the autumn, and dig it in.
Just like that :D

gillie

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 07:16 »
I think it may depend on your soil.  I believe that salt causes clay to go sticky. 

Gillie

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:21 »
I think I have it cracked..........

Sounds like a plan to me  ;) :)

Zippy

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:24 »
Thanks gillie - I have sandy soil here. My main concern would be frightening the worms away, but could do with frightening some of the slugs away!

Heligan Gardens - thanks mumofstig - I may drop them a line.

Cheers!  8)

xx
seaweed as mulch

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 03:05
by Trillium
xx
seaweed compost

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 12:10
by mumofstig
xx
Seaweed Compost help

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 18, 2015, 19:39
by upthetump
xx
Rasps and mushroom compost mulch

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 12:15
by Kristen

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 29 queries.