Autumn fruiting rasperries

• 17 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Autumn fruiting rasperries
« on: September 06, 2009, 10:22 »
I am thinking of planting some autumn fruiting raspberries on my plot this year.  When is the best time to do this?  Also, how many canes should I plant?  We don't eat jam so I just want enough for desserts and maybe a few punnets for the freezer.  I have been checking my books and magazines and some say that you don't need to support the autumn varieties on a frame.  Do members generally agree with this advice?

Is the garden centre the best place to get the canes?  Oh, and can anyone recommend a good variety?  Autumn Bliss and Zena are mentioned in the books.  We have good soil but the site is on a north facing slope close to the sea so is rather exposed, although there is a hedge on the west side, half a plot length away. 

SG6

Re: Autumn fruiting rasperries
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:15 »
Probably going to need 12 to start with if you want a crop the first year, they will multiply/spread so you will get an increase in future years in the numbers.

Ken Muir do a fair selection, Polka is said to be good, Joan J is another and is said to be good for freezing. Then again it is Ken Muir saying this and they aren't going to say: We sell them but they are awful. :ohmy: :ohmy:  Sure they have another called Galaxy or something similar.

Most say they do not need support in a sheltered site. Your site does not sound as if it is exactly sheltered.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:40 »
Thanks for that SG6.  I have checked the Ken Muir website and they do a collection of 12 canes - 5 Joan J, 5 Autumn Bliss and 2 Allgold for £22.41.  They dispatch them late November so that answers my planting time question.  I only have a quarter plot so everything gets planted cheek by jowl as far as I dare so if I plant the canes at one end of the plot what is the minimum space I should leave before the first row of veg?  Obviously I won't plant any that get huge like broccoli or squash.

gillie

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:42 »
You will need space to walk down the row picking, plus the raspberry canes will spread outwards.

I would think at least six feet.

Cheers,

Gillie

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 13:07 »
I started with about 10 twigs (best way to describe the way they looked), given to me by a neighbouring plot holder.

I've now got a row 32' long & 10' wide. I was going to thin it out last year, but because of illness it didn't get done.

So anyone wanting free canes of Autumn Bliss this autumn that lives near enough.........

(Spade & fork can be hired).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

garddwr

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 15:45 »
I started with about 10 twigs (best way to describe the way they looked), given to me by a neighbouring plot holder.

I've now got a row 32' long & 10' wide. I was going to thin it out last year, but because of illness it didn't get done.

So anyone wanting free canes of Autumn Bliss this autumn that lives near enough.........

(Spade & fork can be hired).

How many years ago did you start DD. ?

Thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 16:33 »
Time flies.

Think it's 7 now.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 22:14 »
I planted Joan J in March, had a handful in summer that were very tasty and got some more to look forward to. No prickles either which is a big bonus to me :)

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 22:46 »
I planted Ken Muir "Polka" over 2 years ago in spring and was pleasantly surprised when some fruited the same July. This year I moved some of the many new canes and now I've got masses of huge fruit coming which taste fantastic. I allowed some to fruit in the summer on old canes too. Although they are fairly stocky and robust I find individual canes may need a bit of support if the heavy fruit weighs them down. 
Because I was so impressed with his plants I have also bought loganberries and blackberries from him which are growing well, and have an order in for currants and gooseberries.

Poolfield2

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 23:06 »
Once you've planted them they need controlling, mine have run "ferral" and they pop up not just across the path into the next bed but also under the next path and into the next bed :ohmy: :ohmy:I think they are related to triffids.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 00:06 »
Beds?

You can rule those out with rampant raspberries.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24 »
Hmmm - I don't think I can afford that much space on my small plot.  I am disappointed but at least I haven't ordered anything yet so I've lost nothing.  I have my name down for another plot (again a quarter sized) but that could take years with our waiting list. 

I do love these forums - you get such helpful advice - much better than books and TV programmes.  I also try to do my bit too where I can.   Thanks everyone

tode

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 10:37 »
Barbarella: you don't have to let the rasps take over your whole plot !  although obviously, the more you have, the more you eat  :tongue2:
They can be kept in a smallish block ( 3x3 or 4x2 feet),  but make sure there's cultivated ground all round them. The new sprouts are quite easily chopped or pulled out.

If you like rasps, go for it.  Shame to miss out on them   :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

gillie

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 10:48 »
Have you considered the new clump forming purple raspberry called Glencoe that Marshalls are selling?  I have been tempted!

Gillie

(whose raspberries have suddenly gone rampant and totally out of control)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 10:53 »
Thanks Gillie - another example of what I mean by a great forum :)

xx
Summer or autumn rasperries help

Started by Anneber on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 14:49
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Autumn Fruiting Raspberries

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 11:59
by LilacSandy
xx
Autumn fruiting raspberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 17:48
by londongardener
xx
Autumn fruiting raspberries

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 14:33
by Yorkshire Lass

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 28 queries.