Apples? Varieties recommended

• 6 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Apples? Varieties recommended
« on: September 04, 2009, 19:26 »
I am wanting to buy a fruit tree for my garden, an apple, but I'd like some advice as to variety?  How can you pick one without tasting them!

From supermarkets I like granny smith because they are crisp and crunchy, I cannot stand golden delicious because they are just all pappy in my opinion!  I really do not like any apples that are not crisp and crunchy at all even if the flavour is nice.

Oh and if possible I'd like it to look reasonably nice as it is going in the centre of my lawn :o)

Probably needs to be self-fertile as we only want one but having said that next door has an apple tree but no idea what sort and haven't taken enough notice to know when it flowers.

SG6

Re: Apples? Varieties recommended
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 21:14 »
Don't know where you live but Brogdale, Kent have their Apple festival on Oct 17-18.
Usually have 50 or so varieties to buy and you can take a tour round the collection, 2000+ varieties.
I found it a good way to work out what I wanted.
They also will graft any of the varieties to any rootstock. Not sure if they do it if on the day however.

Problem could be getting a self fertile variety, they do exist but are not that common so the choice is a bit limited. Google search will probably give a good idea.

Granny Smiths do not grow well here in the UK.

During October there will be quite a few Apple festivals, I think that there is one at Westdean (Chichester area), have a look at their website.

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 21:15 »
Go to an apple day, usually held during October.
Some (not all) have tasting.
List here.
Martin

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 21:29 »
Oh that is brilliant thank you so much both of you.

I didn't even know they did apple days!

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 00:20 »
There are loads of types of apples that are not sold in supermarkets because they either bruise easily or have a very short shelf life even though they are initially very crisp and crunchy and so are brilliant straight from the tree.
Then there is the size of tree - mini trees on dwarf root stock (easy to pick and take up less space) or a bigger tree ( more apples ) 
Other things to consider when buying are when they flower  as some need more than one pollinator so you must have trees that are flowering at the same time, but you do not necessarily want them cropping all at the same time!
So all in all trying to find an apple day is excellent advice because there is lots to consider and you should find expert advice there.
A favourite of mine is James Grieve - super tasty and very reliable  :)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 01:06 »
It will help if you can find out which variety next door have, so its pollinating group can be identified. 

It's a little complicated and it's late at night so i could be mis-remembering, but I think that apples are grouped into a number of groups depending on when they flower.  Adjacent groups will pollinate each other but trees in groups further apart won't do so (or something similar).

Also, certain varieties do better in different parts of the country.  Cox doesn't do well in the north but there are similar varieties which thrive.  A local apple day is an excellent idea.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38 »
....so its pollinating group can be identified. 

Good idea, although if you are in an urban area then chances are there will be a lot of other apple trees around for pollination anyway.

My own favourite apple (modern variety) is Falstaff.

Here's a link to the Keeper's Nursery page for Falstaff: LINK. You'll see at the bottom the link for pollination partners.

Also, there's a useful article about apple rootstocks here. I would think a tree on M9 or M26 rootstock would be best for your lawn. Most garden centres should stock them.

xx
Recommended Varieties

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 11:16
by WG.
xx
Leeks, recommended varieties

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 07:24
by Lisbon67
xx
recommended strawberry varieties

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2016, 17:53
by missmoneypenny
xx
Fruit Trees - Any recommended varieties or suppliers

Started by allstars_princess on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 18:31
by allstars_princess

Page created in 5.012 seconds with 28 queries.