using chicken poo instead of cowmuck

• 40 Replies

Zippy

Re: using chicken poo instead of cowmuck
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 22:35 »
What chemicals??? 
GrannieAnnie - this thread is about the use of chicken poo as a fertiliser versus cow manure so I don't want to take the thread of its original path, which is more valuable than a debate about battery farming chemicals here. Maybe we could set up a different thread to debate that one?

The chemicals I refer to would include growth hormones, antibiotics, pesticides and herbicides in the food fed to the chickens, the foodstocks which may contain GM foods and I am sure I could find a few more if I were to do a bit of homework. I garden organically so I would not be happy to have any of these chemicals introduced to my food crops down the foodchain from battery produced litter.

I am not saying I am right and this is not a political stand. I think hen manure is a brilliant fertiliser especially when you know the source and it is so much richer than stable or farmyard manure and lighter to carry nutrients per pound, which is why I use our rabbit litter as well.

Each to their own. Just thought I would share my views too.

Salmo

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 23:31 »
what's 'ammo straw?'

sorry can never remember the name ,but its called aminopyralid herbicide and its sprayed on the wheat in the field and stays in the straw can wipe your ground out for years

It is not sprayed on wheat. It is sprayed on pastures to kill docks and when the grass is eaten, either as grass or hay, the chemical passes into the manure and then into your soil. There are lots of posts on here that you can read.

philskin

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 08:27 »
it as also been found that certain farmers wether right or wrong also spray it on wheat ,that is how the gardens local to us got wiped out it was on the straw that was bought in for bedding
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02 »
so if i used composted 'ammo' straw on the allotment then nothing would grow?  would the farm where we got the straw from admit to using it on his fields if I asked him?  The straw from there is also used at the riding stables attached to the farm.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Zippy

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15 »
It is sprayed on pastures to kill docks and when the grass is eaten, either as grass or hay, the chemical passes into the manure and then into your soil

... which is why I don't use horse manure either where the horses are set to graze unless I have spoken to the field owner about herbicides.

I decided to go pretty much veganic where large animal grazing stock manure is concerned and concentrate on small animal droppings, ie:  hens and rabbits where pound for pound the nutrients are much higher and I know where they've been!

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34 »
BUMP  :D I wonder, why vegeterians so agressive?  :blush:

Ummm... i have question - chicken poo(a) and cows(b) one are totally different substances.
a) contain sand, lime, lots of minerals, no fibers and i don't think that rich on N
b) in fact it is mainly grass, which went thru digesting system
How they will "react" with soil and change(they definately will) pH?

Zippy

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 07:21 »
Not aggressive VH, just my views against battery reared animals. Also my preference not to use manures where the animals have been fed daily with growth hormones, antibiotics and goodness knows what else in order to keep them alive in horrendous conditions - all of these chemicals being passed on to those who eat the allotment produce.

No aggression here - just facts and my preference.

brown thumb

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 08:57 »
just to add my question into the mix what is everyones opinion on using pelleted chicken poo as thats what i use( along side home made compost)mainly because its easyer to carry() no car) and easyer to store verses  farmyard or stable manure

brown thumb

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12 »
sorry i should have said in comparison  nutrient   wise             to using farm or stable manure

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 23:44 »
brown thumb IMO you have higher concentration of minerals and probably less N after processing. This season i tried both and results are very similar. Almost the same. If it's convinient for you, why not to use?

brown thumb

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 13:57 »
thanks   for that info didnt fancy lugging manure about lolo

xx
Chicken poo

Started by PLecostrum on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 16:52
by Trillium
xx
Chicken Run

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2013, 22:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Old Chicken Poo

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 23:55
by Trillium
xx
Chicken poo

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:03
by sheridal

Page created in 0.82 seconds with 28 queries.